Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 13:53   #1

Boat: Outremer 51
Applying epoxy barrier coat... and RAIN??

Almost 3 days of sanding complete. After a thorough wipe down with brush thinner, we were hoping to start the epoxy barrier tomorrow (three coats). But there's a chance of rain starting at 2pm, and then rain expected all freaking day thursday. Should we just wait until a certain two-three days of good weather, finding something else to do in the meantime, eg, massages? I assume water will screw up any minimum dry times..
cooties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 14:07   #2

Re: Applying epoxy barrier coat... and RAIN??

The idea is to be dry. As dry as possible. In a perfect world to tent the whole underside of the hull and setup a de humidifier and leave for six months.

But perfect worlds would not contain humans, so.

My advice would be to wait. If you wanted to go the extra effort, which you will know if it pays off in a few years, would be to set up a drip skirt. Water running down the hull runs onto masking tape with plastic on it which drops vertically so the water does not run down the hull.
And further to that I would apply several gallons of acetone over your prepared surface to help ensure no , or at least less, moisture below your barrier coat.

Home dopey sells plastic with masking tape atatched that works great and they also sell a black topped spray bottle that does not get damaged by acetone.

And lastly if I were apply three coats of barrier coat, I would be apply five, not three. Assuming you are talking interlux 2000e or equivilant.

Best of luck.....and have fun!!

This post for the OP, I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 14:42   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Wait it out. 100%.

Don’t risk all the hard work you’ve done so far. You want absolutely perfect adhesion and a dry substrate.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 17:21   #4

Thanks. I have one gallon Pettit brushing thinner.. maybe should get a couple more... I'll look into the plastic skirts - know where to find them?

Yes, for Pettit Protect, you end up still getting 12 mil dry film thickness from three coats according to their tech sheet. One of their selling points is "3 coats and not 5 or 6". Something about sheet mica alien technology?
Old 11-08-2020, 17:32   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cooties are you a painter and have you ever had your paint work thickness tested by a NACE paint inspector? I used to inspect paint on gas pipelines and even professional painter's would struggle some days to get an even paint thickness all over the job. I would go for an extra coat just to be a 100% sure of coverage. I would wait for the right weather window as well. Dew point, humidity and temperature all play a part in the paint system being applied correctly.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 19:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooties View Post
I'll look into the plastic skirts - know where to find them?
Home Dopey (home depot) sells a plastic masking in a roll with tape attached,cheap and easy. Paint department near the masking tape. A little thought and ingenuity and setting up a skirt pretty easy.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:09   #7

I am not a professional painter. I did acquire a WFT gauge to help try to control our thickness though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Cooties are you a painter and have you ever had your paint work thickness tested by a NACE paint inspector? I used to inspect paint on gas pipelines and even professional painter's would struggle some days to get an even paint thickness all over the job. I would go for an extra coat just to be a 100% sure of coverage. I would wait for the right weather window as well. Dew point, humidity and temperature all play a part in the paint system being applied correctly.
Cheers
Old 12-08-2020, 12:29   #8

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Pay extreme attention to all the specified times, including pot life and time to recoat.

My experience on my boat, with single person application, was that I would mix half gallon batches and that resolved my pot life issues.

On my boat I removed the Pettit Protect because it got "funny", attributed to me by the mfg for my failure to follow their undocumented instructions.

The Interprotect 2000E that I applied five coats has been a solid performer.

The Tornado II Paint Shaker is a solid performer and very useful for this project, permitting mixing the base, then mixing the hardener.

Yes, dealing w/ southern Florida weather can be a butt pain...

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 17:09   #9

Boat: Camano 41

As I recall, when doing my boat, I bought Interprotect in 2 colours, so I could detect my coverage in multiple coats. Just for the simple minded.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 04:44   #10

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Is the Pettit brushing thinner a recommended substitute for acetone in regards to surface prep with the chosen paint system? They are both solvents but seem to have different primary uses. I have never used Pettit products so I am asking, not trying to be a know-it-all.
Old 13-08-2020, 09:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I always remember the Interlux tech support guy, years and years ago, telling me that if I really wanted the barrier coat to last, to double the coats. He said that the recommended amount was usually the minimum, that boats usually sell within five years and so that is enough, and that recommending more coats makes the process more expensive and thus harder to compete with others. Made sense to me. He also said that either the bilge must be dry or it should be coated, as well, to prevent water intrusion from that source. And, on a sailboat, to barrier coat six inches above the water line, although that's a pain with bootstripes, etc.

I did all these things and never saw another blister, years and years later.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy