Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2008, 09:32   #1

Boat: B24
Application of Interlux Brightside… ??

Any suggestions/tips/tricks for application of Interlux Brightside one-part polyurethane… I’ve read the roller/-brush-tipping instructions numerous times and it seems straightforward enough, but I’ve never used this (already have the paint – black over previous black).

This weather is killing me; it’s either too windy to paint above the waterline, or seemingly too cool to finish the blister repairs below the waterline… and now my time-window is closing…gotta be back in the water by the 1st of the month...

How cool/humid can one paint in anyone’s experience… any considerations, supposing I can get a non-windy day…

I’m familiar with WEST System stuff for the epoxy work for the bottom prep, and have used enamel on topside wood a few times, but am more or less ignorant of the Brightside product other than what I read – and the instruction from the yard guys; “it’s easy, just be careful…” what?

Thanks,
Old 18-03-2008, 09:47   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We painted our 40 sailboat with brightside one part, roll and tip, my wife and I worked as a team. It came out great. Weather was in the 50s, no wind and partly cloudy. I am very happy with the product.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 11:41   #3

Brightside is an easy paint to work with. Use a fine quality roller and tip with a very expensive brush, very light touch, wet to dry. Best to work with a team of two in small patches at a time, (three/four roller's width, immediately tipped), and scaffolding to move along without impediment. Don't stop or you will get a hard line and if you get a run or holiday, sand it out and catch it on the second coat, don't mess with it half-wet, looking back. If windy and no choice, hosing down the area will keep alot of blowing dust down. I've used this on decks and hard cabin liner, prefer Petit Easypoxy for hull, but that's a much more demanding application.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 12:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Larry;

My wife and I just got two coats of primer and the first coat of Brightsides on our deck over the weekend. Wind did not bother us, I don't think you need a still day, in fact, a nice breeze was good for the crew.

I tried both A short nap roller fuzzy , and a very short napped foam roller (west System). I like the west better, it was easier to get less paint on the rooler, and it did not shed, which the fuzzy one did. Foam brush worked better for us painting the deck, but on topsides, I would think a high quality bristle brush would be the best. moving quickly is very important, so it might make sense to have a third person around to help move ladders, mix paint, etc.

We worked with a small amout of paint at a time, thinning lightly. Just enough to keep the brush from dragging.

Good luck with the paint job!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 13:03   #5

Ah, thanks for the reassurance – and the caution about working on smaller areas… looks like about all we’ll get is 50-degree weather so that is good to know… and thankfully, we can get to 90% of the hull standing on the ground, so the gymnastics for these geriatric bones will (hopefully) be minimal…

Hadn’t thought about hosing down the area – great tip also, danke…
Old 18-03-2008, 13:10   #6

Thanks Witzgall – appreciate the insight on which applicators to use – was hoping folks would chime in with answers to questions I didn’t know should be asked…

Deck and cabin is next, but the boat will be back in the slip when we do that… did y’all add anything for the non-skid areas or straight paint…?

Good grief, where was all that warmer winter weather we were supposed to have…
Old 18-03-2008, 13:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We are going to use the interlux additive and flattener for the non-skid areas. The first coat was for the deck and cabinsides, so we left it glossy. Round two will be non-skid areas, and then the third round will be the second coat for the cabin sides. That way, evcery surface gets two coats. Doing the non-skid and cabinsides in the same color, but with or without the grit and flattener, seems like a good way to make the application simple, and less chance of glaring errors. We will see how that theory stands up after we get the rest done.

We left the cockpit for last, as I wanted a staging area to get the work done. By doing the deck first, we can have the boat tied up and not worry about the lines when painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
Thanks Witzgall – appreciate the insight on which applicators to use – was hoping folks would chime in with answers to questions I didn’t know should be asked…

Deck and cabin is next, but the boat will be back in the slip when we do that… did y’all add anything for the non-skid areas or straight paint…?

Good grief, where was all that warmer winter weather we were supposed to have…
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 00:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
View the Sticky "Study Hall" article at the top of this maintenance Forum.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 10:14   #9

Thanks all… we’re hopeful for at least marginal painting weather this weekend… gunna tackle this rascal and see how it shakes out… With a smidgen of luck the Brightside will go on as painlessly, and look as good, as other folks have experienced…

I’m at home with nuts and bolts projects, and my bride likes woodworking, but neither one of us have much faith in our “finishing” abilities – she’d rather frame out a kitchen than paint a wall, ditto here… but the grandkids are with us for a few months and seem to have taken to the orbital sanders like ducks to water, so the prep work has suddenly accelerated, and we’ve run out of excuses…
Old 19-03-2008, 10:30   #10

You will find the brightside very forgiving. I recommend a top quality fine mohair roller and a 3 to 4 inch badger brush, moistened well with paint. Light, graceful, flowing touch on the tipping. You get better with practice, so in three years when you go for a fresh coat, you'll be an expert. Thinning the paint a little is good. You can do horizontal or verticle lines; but I'm partial to verticle on the roller, horizontal with the brush. Don't overload the roller, it should be moist, not dripping. You will be shocked at how pretty it comes out!
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:34   #11

<You will find the brightside very forgiving…>

Well, this worked better than I’d hoped… right in line will y’alls predictions… boat is out in the yard and we have been dodging misty rain for two weeks… finally had a day with only minimal mist, and right at 50 degrees F… decided to try a test on the stern – I rolled, 11 year old grandson on the brush… gotta say, it went well, so we said what the heck and put the first coat on the whole hull – grandson’s brush strokes laid down the roller burbles, and then the paint started to shine nicely -- at least for a hull that popped out of the mold over thirty five years ago and has had mutliple fillers over the decades. However, the shine sure showed a few areas that could have used a few more hours preparation… Oh well; in another day or so, and with a few hours time with the 220 paper, and we’ll add another coat…

Thanks all…

Tags
Interlux