Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 12:43   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Anyone Use CMA as Bilge Antifreeze ?

I usually wet dry my bilge out after haul out ( Morgan OI 41) then pour in left over -100c stuff that is left over from winterizing the engine. the price for the -100 isn't much more than the -50 stuff and it handles dilution from a bit of rainwater very well.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 12:05   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Anyone Use CMA as Bilge Antifreeze ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The WalMart pink stuff says it is good to 50 below zero. Doesn't usually get that cold around here. Are you saying that is not accurate?
I have a jug of "Splash" brand in my garage that was frozen at 10 F. I believe it was supposed to be good to -40 or something. That is not unusual. They play games with the words, "-40 protection," which considers the fact that glycol and water mixtures freeze differently than water alone. Rather than freezing solid, crystals of ice form in a suspension (mixture) with liquid, which is less likely to cause burst damage since it will still flow and conform to space constraints.

It works OK for the most part. For plumbing, I blow the lines with air, flush with antifreeze, then blow the lines with air again. For areas of standing water I just fill with enough antifreeze to dilute the water reasonably well.

I can get 95%+ propylene glycol at the local home center -- they sell it for boiler antifreeze -- but it's expensive, $20 a gallon or something. It costs a lot to make.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, bilge