Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 17:46   #1

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Any of you stuck working on a boat for...

...extended times in a yard with it on stands. We found ourselves working and living on the boat at the same time while on stands. On top of that Ruth had a couple foot operations that made it somewhat painful dealing with an extension ladder.

To help her and myself I made a ladder for about the same price as a cheap extension ladder...

...and it is way easier on the feet and is a lot sturdier and easier to climb. You can make it in less than a day.

The mod is here for anyone interested....

Endeavour 37 Outside Mods page 1

We used it for 3+ months living and working on the boat and it was a great investment of time and money,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 18:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Any of you stuck working on a boat for...

For your deck height, you could easilly use a step ladder which has broad flat steps. Turn it 90 degrees and tie off to a stanchion. Really nice ones are made with a hand rail and top platform.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 18:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
For your deck height, you could easilly use a step ladder which has broad flat steps. Turn it 90 degrees and tie off to a stanchion. Really nice ones are made with a hand rail and top platform.
I did look at them and the better ones, still without hand rails/platforms were well over a $100 and still not as stable in the gravel there as this ladder is. Still something that might work well for some,

Sum
Old 18-10-2012, 18:33   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I know what you mean extended times! Mine was on the hard 95% of the time for 10 years. Just went out for a few weeks in the summers. The rest was rebuilding the boat.
Were I was a lot of the people built stairs..... Some with a door and used as a storage shed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladders.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	48484  
Old 18-10-2012, 18:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

You know you have a project boat if...

You build permanent installations around it!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 18:52   #6

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
The Occupational Safety and Health Adminastration has a label on all ladders sold for use in the USA . While your ladder may be wider, stronger, more stable on the ground and rungs more comfortable, should someone get hurt using your home made ladder, your insurance will bail on any claim made and OSHA will fine you enough, you could purchase 5 37' sailboats.

Interestingly, ladders are to be used then put away. If OSHA sees a ladder leaning anywhere someone is not currently using it, ten grand fine. That according to my business property landlord.

Maybe build a proper set of stairs with a platform and stair rails. Hate to see one of you tumble and fall or get OSHA riled. I use a scissor lift working in or around my boats. Makes any job easier. Like having an elevator at the jobsite.
Old 18-10-2012, 19:08   #7

Boat: Sabre 42
Well, no wonder why it's taking so long... you're busy building ladders.

We stayed on my boat on the hard for a week while I sanded and painted the bottom. I had to fireman carry my dog up and down the ladder. Boat didn't feel right not moving. Felt so much better once we had her back in.
Old 18-10-2012, 19:08   #8

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

maybe its darwinism.... if you can't work a ladder, should you really be sailing?
and where to you stow your scissor lift while underway??
nice ladder Sumner, wish I'd thought of that while we were in the yard for a year and change, best I managed were homemade saw-horses!
Old 18-10-2012, 19:20   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

That's how I got on and off when I lived "on the hard" on the boat. It was a rolling staircase with broad steps, much easier and safer than a ladder.

The night the winds went up to 45 mph I could feel the boat "wiggling" on the stands, and I did throw in the towel that night and go to a motel. Logically I did not believe the boat would fall over, but each little noise was magnified by the hull and it was completely unnerving for me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 21:34   #10

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait2035
maybe its darwinism.... if you can't work a ladder, should you really be sailing?
and where to you stow your scissor lift while underway??
I seldom ride bicycles, so I should not drive a car?

I use the lift while working on the boat in my business parking lot. When I sail, I use a slip

Globally, 1000 workers die daily, and falls is very high on this list. In the USA over 600 people a year die while working on ladders and scaffolds.

Ladders are very dangerous and anytime one is working on one, there is a need to be careful.

While I appreciate the desire of Sumner to make a better mousetrap, all ladders are inheriantly dangerous. I am just asking everyone to be careful around ladders. I personally rarely touch the contraptions.

My marina has started wrapping sailboats and they are using ladders. I grabbed a trailer and took them two portable stairs with arm rails and wheels to roll them. Like the ones used to stock high shelves at box stores. I use them around my art studio because they are safer than ladders. I also use something called a crown wave and two scissor lifts. Tools can make the workplace safer and more efficient.

The crown wave is like a go cart that has an elevator built in it. Great tool. Purchased it at a government surplus auction for cents on the dollar. Got to love uncle Sam.

Check out that photo of the Asian 3 stooges using the ladder. This guy will be fine, while the next guy on a four foot ladder breaks his neck.

Name:	Safe_Ladder_Climbing-thumb-480x759-74177.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	48485

Name:	VXCMwV-cfch0008-thumb-500x375-75542.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	48486
Old 18-10-2012, 21:45   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Lovely. Thanks for sharing your mods--it's nice to see a craftsman take such pride in his art.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
....The night the winds went up to 45 mph I could feel the boat "wiggling" on the stands, and I did throw in the towel that night and go to a motel. Logically I did not believe the boat would fall over, but each little noise was magnified by the hull and it was completely unnerving for me.
We had some of those nights, especially when Debbie was hanging off the coast and the boat was vibrating on the stands. We just figure that it does it if we are there in it or not, so we just go back to sleep. The next morning all of the boats are still on their stands.

There was a tornado, not big, one day about 6 miles from the boat in North Port. We didn't even know about it until a couple weeks later. After that I told Ruth if we see a funnel cloud we are in the Suburban and off down the road.

Our worst night/couple days was on Lake Powell....

08-09 Sailing Lake Powell page 9

...in over 50 mph winds. I can't imagine what some of you guys have gone through that have crossed oceans though. Getting too old for that, I think I'll stick to my ladder .

Thanks Bash and I like the "how to tell a project boat" , Hopefully we can maybe pass the ladder on to someone else this next year ,

Sum
Old 18-10-2012, 22:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

Check out that photo of the Asian 3 stooges using the ladder. This guy will be fine, while the next guy on a four foot ladder breaks his neck.

Attachment 48485

I see your ladder photo and raise you this one. I wonder if they took a photo of the aftermath.

If you are going to be spending months on the hard, wouldn't it be better to build stairs out of stringers along with handrails?

Although I think they sell precut ones like this:
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 22:28   #14

I for one think they look lovely.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 22:28   #15

Every boatyard I've been at has ladders. 2'x4"x12' with 1"x4" nailed to the front. If I was to be at a place for a while and wanted something wider I think I would do the same thing but add a 1"x4" to the back then add a 1"x 6" between the 1"x4"s. 20 bucks at Home Depot a circular saw, hammer and 30 minutes and your done.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote