Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2010, 19:26   #1

Any Industrial / Private Hardstands in Sydney?

Hi All
I am new to the forum and my main concern is to find a place to hardstand my 39 foor steel hull for repair / refit.
I cant afford a Marina hardstand as this is a long term workload ( and I have family ) so I am hoping there is a place I can truck the old girl to and pay a reasonable weekly / monthly rate to do work there.
Essentially it can be the corner of a paddok as I can in a pinch take genset and tools along if need be.

I understand there was / is a site called :-\ the graveyard which
Boracay mentioned earlier and I am trying to contact them
Any other ideas? I am open to all suggestions.

Cheers John

The "Graveyard" is at Taren Point.
Shell Point Slipway & Boatyard,
17 Mangrove La,
Taren Point, NSW 2229
John_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 19:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Where in Sydney...

I had a look on Google Earth for the Kurnell place (was off Captain Cook drive before the oil refinery) but no joy.

There also seems to be a place next to the Graveyard that may be worth a look. The graveyard looks to be pretty well chockers.

The other option that I would explore if I were in your place is out round Badgeries Creek. One of our members, yachtrodney, The Dog Paddler built his boat round there(from memory). Do make sure you can get it out!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 22:06   #3

Graveyard

I phoned Gerome at Shell point and he may be able to put me in, I have to go look first. But their slipway is non operational. No spray painting or sandblasting available and you need to organise your own transport and crane :-\

Still its a start , many thanks. :-)
John
Old 30-04-2010, 17:14   #4

Hi John,

I spoke to a bloke called Russell who runs a yard at Kernell. His mobile is 0419 216 887. The killer is crane and truck hire, both ways. You want to be on the hard for a few months for it to be economic. I did a lot of work in the water with a generator (above the waterline, of course).

ben
stickybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55   #5

hardstanding

I will call Russell tommorrow and see what he says, yes the killer is crane and haulage but I cant work on it in the water as electrolysis has done real damage. As someone says "rust never sleeps".

Many Thanks John
Old 04-05-2010, 12:33   #6

Boat transport desperately needed

I will need to get my boat out of the water and to either Kurnell / Taren Point hopefully this weekend or maybe next.
It s 39 foot long beam about 9 and weighs somewhere around 8 or 9 ton steel.

I can probably get it to River Quays or Noakes slipways but how to transport it from there?

Anyone have reliable reasonable low loader / trucking names and phone numbers for the Sydney area. I will start phoning them up and see where we get.

I will also need a crane obviously at the other end ... :-\

Much appreciated everyone John

Tags
sydney