Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Anti-Foul Paint Question - Important!

I am putting anti-fowl on my boat in a few days and I am in a tropical climate of Panama. I have wet sanded the boat and am putting a different type of anti-fowl on the boat than the old paint. The dealer told me to put some thinner in the first coat (a thin coat first) to help it to bond better to the other paint. Then put a couple of coats full strength after that.

I am planning to paint myself. The man who paints here in the boat yard told me not to thin the first coat. Absolutely not.

Who is right the dealer or the painter? Dealer said that the first coat of anti-fowl thinned a bit would bond better.

Painter also said I should put second full strength coat on within 8 hours of the first coat and dealer said I could wait 24 hours if I wanted.

Who is correct?

Thanks James
Old 05-01-2010, 08:31   #2

Sorry Anti-foul jajajaa Still thinking about Christmas dinner
Old 05-01-2010, 08:43   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Trust the painter, dont thin antifouling, not a good idea for good perfomance, aply full coats and shake and mix the paint well. Regards.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
in your hot and humid conditions, full strength all the way baby. Trust the painter who is local and has seen what happens...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21   #5

anti-foul

The paint distributor simply wanted me to put THE FIRST COAT thinner as I was over painting Seahawk paint and his brand is Hemmoll. The next 2 coats would go on full strength.. HE SAID THERE WOULD BE BETTER BONDING that way.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Depends on the painter and the paint. The "painters" around here are the cheapest guys that can hold a roller and follow instructions.

Unless I had high confidence in the painter I'd stick with the manufacturers instructions, after carefully clarifying the conditions I am painting in and asking the manufacturer why the painters recommendations are wrong.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54   #7

Boat: Westsail 32
When applying any type of coatings it is wise to follow the manufacturer’s recommended procedures to the letter, not some local guy’s, (Painter or salesman) who has their own “Theory” about how things should be done. That being said most manufacturers of bottom paints have compatibility charts to let you know if you can overcoat the existing product on the boat (Providing you know what that is), with what you plan to use now, It is critical to know this! After that it is just a simple matter of following directions on can for applying the new coating. Good Luck
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:35   #8

It all depends. If applying similar types of paint ie both soft copper based paints then do not thin. If applying a hard paint such as a teflon or TBT based paint then you would probably prime with the suggested primer or use the thinned paint. However, sanding down to gel, priming and then painting is the best solution if the two paints are not compatible.
karlhead is offline   Reply With Quote