Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 06:25   #226

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Reminds me of this picture.

This fella built his TW28 about 6 years ago with his boys. I can only dream of the satisfaction he must have been feeling at that time. I hope he's still getting as much enjoyment out of the boat now as he was then.
Sometimes doing nothing is the most productive use of time
Old 19-07-2011, 06:31   #227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Hey, he ain't doin nuthin...he fishin...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 15:47   #228
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Snowin' in Winterpeg yet Frz?

It was about 98 degs F in the shed tonight but we went ahead and glued and taped the seam of the two roof panels. Had to move pretty quick the epoxy glue was kicking off in the cup before I could get it in the seam between the two panels. I'm glad it only took about 10 mins to glue and tape the whole thing.

Sorry no pics. Was kinda busy.

Time to go rehydrate.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 15:54   #229

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Twas 37c (47c/117f with the humidex) on Tues. Today was quite nice at 29c and no humidex, but vicious winds.

Oops, 33.7c on Tues.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 16:34   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Twas 37c (47c/117f with the humidex) on Tues. Today was quite nice at 29c and no humidex, but vicious winds.

Oops, 33.7c on Tues.
You know when Toronto and Halifax are hotter than Bermuda, it ain't no joke.
Out of about15 gateway cities which service us, only London, England was cooler than us,
Old 22-07-2011, 18:20   #231
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ray and Carlos were just here looking at our old boat to buy it. They'll hopefully get back to me tomorrow with cash in hand. Wish me luck and standby.....
Old 24-07-2011, 03:51   #232
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fender kickers again!

Oh well. Like I said before, they all want a shiny new SeaRay to impress their friends at the Yacht Club and $8500 for my ole' boat ain't it.

Anywho, I laid out the glass for the bottomside of the main cabin roof. We're almost out of epoxy and don't have 'nuff to do this 15 sq/yds so we're in a holding pattern for awhile.

Holidays start next week so we'll likely do some boating.
Old 24-07-2011, 03:57   #233

Not a good time to sell, eh!!. Friend had a Pearson 30, in good shape GIVEN to him the other day.
Hang in there
Old 28-07-2011, 17:29   #234
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update: Not much happening around here boat building wise. Too hot, ran out of epoxy or actual paying work gets in the way. I did drop a full Boat Unit ($1K) on a new propane stove.

For the price I fully expect there to be some real Cordon Bleu meals come off of this piece of kit, right KnottyGirlz?

We'll be out and about the NE US next week to pick it up diesel and water tanks and a 7 cu ft reefer. Might as well make a nice road trip holiday out of it. We'll get to stop at Mystic Seaport again which I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-08-2011, 15:12   #235
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Admiral and I just got back from a 2300 km (1430 miles) 11 State in 4 1/2 day road trip. It was a good trip. We picked up the stove in Rhode Island then headed cross the top of Long Island Sound eventually ending up in Delaware where we picked up the tanks.

On the way we stopped at Mystic Seaport again. I love that place. Definitely a national treasure. Can't wait to get back there someday by boat though.

After picking up the tanks we decided to venture little further and visit the National Air and Space Museum in Chantilly VA. Wow! That place is definitely must see if you're in the area.

More pics here.... NASM pictures by KnottyBuoyz - Photobucket

Old 10-08-2011, 08:56   #236
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lori & I glassed the underside of the main cabin roof yesterday. It took twice as long and used twice as much epoxy as I estimated. Doh!

Only a few minor puddles and hardly any dry spots at all. We had to work it in really hard. A bubble buster on an extendable pole helped a lot. We used the Sticky Stuff dispenser with the static mixing nozzles again too. That also helped not having to mix epoxy as we worked. Temps were in the low 70's so we had plenty of working time. Next step is to flip this monster and tape the seam on the top. Once that's done I'll likely do the fwd cabin roof and fwd deck undersides.

I've also got to climb up on top of the shed and fix a few holes. I have one good size rip about a foot long near the back. The Dr. Shrink tape is apparently only good for about a year. Probably all the stretching & shrinking as the plastic heats and cools.

That's 'bout it for now. Jeep is in the garage for new back brakes. *sigh*
Old 14-08-2011, 03:28   #237
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update: Last night, with the help of a few friends, we manged to get the cabin roof out of the shed and stowed. It was nice to get that out of the way. Only the fwd cabin roof and the fore deck to be glassed on their undersides then we can dismantle the long table and setup the strongback. Sorry no pics, I was a lil' preoccupied.
Old 15-08-2011, 08:26   #238
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The last two panels that I have to glass will be ready tomorrow morning and then the long table can come apart.

These are the fwd cabin top and foredeck. Doing these now upside down on the long table will avoid having to do them later and working overhead. Glass laid out. I used up some more of the 33 oz stuff along the center of each. This is where there'll be cutouts for windlass and hatch etc. It'll be plenty strong (fingers crossed).

All glassed and epoxied. It went a lot better this time. Temps in the shed were 20 degs C. which gives plenty of working time to mix and roll out single handed.

I put some exaggerated curve into the panels to help them fit when they go on the forms. They'll spring back likely flat but some of the stress will be out of them when they go on.

Just like the disassembly of the "Tower of Pain & Suffering" I'm really looking forward to taking the long table apart. I've been looking forward to setting up the strongback and forms so I'll at least have something that looks like a boat.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:35   #239
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today was "clean up the boat shed" day!

First task was to trim and stow the panels you saw the other day. Now that they're out of the way it's time to disassemble the long table.

Puzzle pieces for the strongback. I think I have everything I need. I'll re-read the instructions again tonight.

It looks big and empty now but it'll get filled up pretty quick!

That's it. I'm pooped, time for a nappy!
Old 17-08-2011, 11:40   #240
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This strongback thing has me a lil' baffled but I'll figure it out. It was well over 90 degs (34C) in the shed this afternoon so I had to pack it in and cool off before I got much done.

I'm working directly on the ground which isn't very level so I have to plumb and level each of the 10 post blocks that'll support the strongback.

Well at least I think I started out plumb and level. Next task was to square up the second post.

My little laser level didn't have enough power to see in the daylight so I'll go out after dark and see how I did with just a framing square and spirit level.

This is as far as I got before it got too hot and I had to bug out to get cooled off.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the verticals up ready to attached the forms.

The project supervisor pestered me constantly this morning so if there's any mistakes made it's his fault!

That's it for now. Time for a cool beverage.

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler