Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04   #31

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Gord, thank you for clarifying that! I always look forward to your posts and answers, over the past 2 years I have leanred so much from here, much of it from you. thanks again for clarifying the anchor roller question, I see what you mean. Makes sense!

Also, I feel much better with the 5/16 chain and 7/8 inch line instead of 1/2 inch.

As a note, it's funny how, the more I sail and cruise (for all practical purposes, short term as of right now, just the past 2-3 years) the more I learn that the things I thought were most important, seem to fade further down the top ten list, and things like anchoring (size, rodes, techniques) and dinghy storage move up!!
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45   #32

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Just to throw more info out there, here in the US you have BBB, Grade 40 High Test and then Grade 70 which is called transport grade, lashing chain (at west marine), or high tensile strength chain or high strength chain depending on where you go, to save confusion, look at the Grade. The advantage of G70 chain is you can decrease the size of the chain and increase the safe working load, saving you weight and possibly cost. The G40 high test chain is a high carbon content making it more susceptible to corrosion, where the G70 is heat treated. Here's a comparison

Size SWL Type Weight/Ft Cost

3/8 2650 BBB 1.7 lbs $5.99
1/4 2600 G40 .74 $3.59
1/4 3150 G70 .66 $4.49

So you see with G70 you can maintain the about same cost, and increase the safe working load compared to BBB chain while reducing your weight from 255 lbs for 150 ft of chain to 99 lbs. The downside for G70 is that it is heat treated, so you should replace rather than regalvanize, but in truth I'd rather replace rusty anchor chain rather than simply regalvanizing old chain. The places you are planning on sailing to are shallow anchorages with little tide and it's entirely possible to go with less chain.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 10:04   #33

Boat: Columbia 41
I recently installed a Goiot 308 windlass. The specs call for 8mm or 10mm diameter chain depending on the gypsey provided. What US size chain will fit? I have tried 5/16 D4 and 3B but they want to jump out.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 10:27   #34
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
I recently installed a Goiot 308 windlass. The specs call for 8mm or 10mm diameter chain depending on the gypsey provided. What US size chain will fit?.
Unfortunately, no U.S. chain will fit!

You must either buy a French chain made following A.F.N.O.R. specifications, or ask Goït for a "U.S." norm gypsy..
Old 26-01-2009, 12:07   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
10 mm is a bit more than 3/8 .394 in. vs .375

8 mm is also a bit more than 5/16 0.315 in. vs .315

You should as noted above enquire to the factory or factiry rep for the proper gypsy. It's a situation where close is not quite going to flow through the gypsy properly. It's actually worse because it messes up even though it appears to look like it will fit.

High test chain has one disadvantage. It does not hold the zinc gavanizing as well as G40. It is just a minior fault but is not a 100% clear choice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 13:03   #36

Boat: Columbia 41
Brother, you are right on the money. I just sent an email to Goiot asking about availability of a US sized gypsy. I suppose DIN or AFNOR is the common thing in Europe. I may have to pick the right size chain when I arrive.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor