Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2010, 13:05   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I use self amalgamating tape on rigging all the time, but the stuff I think John is referring to is something different. The stuff I'm thinking of is a lot stickier than the rigging tape. It just has to barely touch itself to stick.
I think you guys might be talking about either Scotch #23, which is like electrical tape size ( Scotch 33 is the best) but has a paper side you peel off, or a thicker, softer product called Scotchfil.

The thick, putty like stuff that is about an inch or so wide and a quarter inch ( roughly) thick, also has paper on one side, but is more malleable. Turns into rubber....is called Scotchfil.
Old 28-04-2010, 14:28   #17

thanks; 'got the leak stopped! it might have been over kill to use MARINE TEX (for inflatables) but I didn't want to take any chances. and I glued a strip of bicycle inner tube over the leak. I was pretty conservative with the epoxy and avoided a big white mess but it was a relief to see that the trickle leak had stopped.

I tried RESCUE TAPE but the hull shape blocked me from getting anything completely around the shaft.

A big MAG LITE flashlight provided great illumination.

I was a little panicked and should've tried tightening the old hose clamp, but the bellows was visibly cracked and tightening probably wouldn't have helped.
jsoceanlord is offline   Reply With Quote