Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 09:20   #1

AM I underestermating a refit job

Hi all I’ve just boat a new to me 28ft sail boat I’m after installing a NASA Marine instruments , I got a quote to supply a NASA wind and depth sensor for approx €500 delivered from a local company , which I know I can find a little cheaper online but then on the same quote they offer to install at €40 per hour anticipating 15 hours work so €600

I was intending to instal myself but I did not anticipate spending 15 hours doing it, am I underestimating this job?
Cheftothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:43   #2

Re: AM I underestermating a refit job

If you include taking the mast down, and running the wires for the wind sensor inside, 15 hours does not seem excessive to me.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:48   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

A good rule of thumb is to multiply what you think any job will take by three, on a boat by five.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 10:10   #4

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

After 17 years with this boat and many projects, I endorse Captain Bill’s math lol! I also have had some experience where the same multipliers can be applied to the cost of a project as well.
Running the wires and mounting instruments can get time consuming if you want a tidy job. 2 days doesn’t seem excessive at face value. I just did a similar job last spring. Good luck with it and congratulations on your new boat!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 10:11   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftothesea View Post
Hi all I’ve just boat a new to me 28ft sail boat I’m after installing a NASA Marine instruments , I got a quote to supply a NASA wind and depth sensor for approx €500 delivered from a local company , which I know I can find a little cheaper online but then on the same quote they offer to install at €40 per hour anticipating 15 hours work so €600

I was intending to instal myself but I did not anticipate spending 15 hours doing it, am I underestimating this job?
The short answer is yes. I would ask them to describe the anticipated 15 hour installation in detail, then you can make an informed decision.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 10:32   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

They also have to allow time for figuring out where the wires run and any mounting or pass through issues. You can work through most of this in your head, visiting the boat weeks before you do the installation. Get it all doped-out. That is your advantage.

I find that I can hit my estimates pretty accurately, but that is because I spent time working out the steps in my head beforehand, avoiding big surprises.

I can imagine this taking 15 hours, all in, depending on what the wiring needs are. They may be taking down head liners, making pass-throughs, and working around old wiring (everybodiy's favorite!).
Old 13-11-2018, 11:41   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

If spending that much money on just these 2 instruments and their installation is a problem, you could just go with the depth system only.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 11:48   #8

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

If the question is “ would I pay someone to do it? “ the answer is no. If the question is” could the job take 15 hours?” , my answer is yes. There are too many unknown variables to offer more of an answer than than IMO.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:37   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I just watched a video where a guy wanted to replace his waterlines. He was hoping to do it in a day. He thought it might take him two days. So, a week later he pretty much wrapped it up. Biggest problem I guess was not doing a thorough planning of the job and so he had to keep running to the store for more plumbing supplies. A job like that really needs good project planning and management tools.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:02   #10

Boat: Hylas 54

Without even reading the original post I'll say yes, you are underestimating a refit. I will now go read the OP, with no fear that I will be wrong.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 05:58   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

It might take you 15 hours, all in. Do you need a new hole drilled for the sounder/paddle, or need to modify an existing one? Do you need to remove panels to run wires, or drill new holes to run them? Is there an existing breaker for power? An existing data bus like NMEA2000?

If you’re running mast wires for wind you might want to consider replacing any existing mast wires for lights etc at the same time if they are old or otherwise suspect.
Old 14-11-2018, 06:08   #12

Boat: 29 ft

How about the wireless solar powered range from Raymarine, formerly Tactic? They are so flat, that you do not even need holes in the bulkhead.

No cables from the masthead, just installing the unit up there, ...

Ok, the units are not cheap, but installation is far less work.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Go wireless. I did.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:00   #14

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftothesea View Post

easily an all day job requiring two people who know what they're doing. seems reasonable.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit