Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 21:12   #1

aluminum in the tropics

I'm looking for my first real sailboat,having only sailed hobies, lazers and such.
i do like the idea of aluminum as i understand it from my previous experience.
After locating several in SE Asia,I am hoping for input/guidance. 34 foot range as it is mainly the wife and I. Shoal draft and basic rigging as simple is better,and i don't intend to live aboard-mainly island hopping, coastal cruising around the central to northern Philippines. One of the boats is a Cat boat,which is not an issue to me as i need to take lessons anyway, and i tend to like oddball stuff anyway. The freestanding does intrigue me. just looking for any advice or warnings before i begin to spend more time traveling to look at boats.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:20   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: aluminum in the tropics

Metal cruising boats are likely to be larger than 34’, as the density of the material often makes small boats too heavy to perform well. (Aluminum skiffs - tinnys- aren’t built to withstand ocean conditions, and heavier aluminum plate that will handle nasty weather is just that- heavier.) If you understand aluminum you will be aware of the constant problem of electrolysis.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Metal cruising boats are likely to be larger than 34’, as the density of the material often makes small boats too heavy to perform well. (Aluminum skiffs - tinnys- aren’t built to withstand ocean conditions, and heavier aluminum plate that will handle nasty weather is just that- heavier.) If you understand aluminum you will be aware of the constant problem of electrolysis.
Aware of most of the electrolysis issues, but it is mostly controllable as far as I can see. Having said that, I am not going to be looking at aluminum exclusively. I just have no clue about fibreglass. Go with the devil you know so to speak.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:33   #4

This thread may be about the Cat ketch you're looking at.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-189806.html
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum