Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 10:20   #16

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer
Re: Alum Fuel Tanks dont' last forever, check often

Wynn's aluminum Fuel Tanks are holed on a newish Leopard Cat...

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/boa...ems-fuel-tanks
Starts at 11:50

So much for foam strips...
Old 04-01-2021, 10:49   #17

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

For gauges in a fuel tank, a current flow is required to make them work, so if no current is present, very little corrosion, if any, can take place. I suggest that you install a simple switch or button that is activated only when you want a reading - and for 99.99% of the time the current and problem will not exist.

Note that this issue does not even exist with fibre-glass tanks....!

Cheers,

RR.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:17   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
The continued use of aluminum fuel tanks just amazes me. Yet people just swallow what the aluminum and boat-building industries find convenient and good for sales. Even in the face of common sense and failures.

After also suffering from the disaster that an aluminum tank made in my boat, I looked at alternatives. I had one professionally built of fibre-glass and it is so superior. Consider that it:

- will not corrode inside or out - even with the metal straps that secure it outside.
- is easier to custom form to the hull or other shape - no metal sheets have to be used and no dubious welding occurs. Welding can negatively affect metal.
- increases tankage because it takes advantage of above hull and other restricting nearby surfaces.
- will last ... almost forever - gas-station, in-ground fuel tanks have at least a 50-year warranty! This tells you something!
- resists spark development for explosion that can happen with metal tanks - fibre-glass will not conduct the needed electrical charge.
- is accepted by insurance and boat-building industries.
- are easily and safely built by most handy people.
- when professionally made, mine still cost 60% of a simple inferior "suitcase"-styled aluminum tank!

Yet for years now, I have watched as aluminum fuel tanks continue to be fitted and there is frequent failure from interior or exterior moisture. This is not rocket science!

The "suitcase-shaped" tank in my boat was replaced by one that increased tankage by about 70% and it is now over 40 years old and is still in perfect shape. So I suggest that you find a company that builds tanks for industry (these guys build tanks for acids and the nastiest liquids on the planet - so they know their stuff!) and they will be happy to oblige your easy request. Provide a mock-up of the tank needed. The builder of mine laughed when I asked about a warranty - and gave me a lifetime warranty!

Note - gasoline will attack common polyester resin and so vinylester is used on the interior surface. Diesel is not a problem for either. Also, it is common to give a rinse coating of epoxy to guarantee that any tiny fibres cannot be present.

They will install baffles inside to prevent violent movement of fuel. I am a great believer in safety, redundancy and being prepared - it takes very little more money and provides similar baffled effect by building two smaller tanks that are joined by hoses and valves - that also provides isolation of fuel in case of contamination and often makes it easier to install, etc.

It is also easy to build water tanks (coat the interior with food-grade epoxy for no taste issues) and waste tanks of fibre-glass. I built my rugged and custom-shaped holding tank - and nothing is more dangerous than those contents!!

Cheers - and keep safe everyone! Yes - virally or politically!
You definitely makes some good points. My Hallberg Rassy had integral tanks, both water and fuel. I don't understand why manufacturers of boats don not go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah those gauges are often not working anyway. I've replaced those with the mechanical direct reading gauge which gives you decent idea what the level is. (reads right on the tank top and goes right on where the electrical sender was attached)
You can see in my earlier post I have incorporated a Rochester mechanical gauge. The tank tender is another type of gauge that you can use if you do not have access to see the tank directly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:18   #19

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah those gauges are often not working anyway. I've replaced those with the mechanical direct reading gauge which gives you decent idea what the level is. (reads right on the tank top and goes right on where the electrical sender was attached)

Like you, I installed a mechanical gauge on top of my fuel tank as a back up. Mine is from a polyethylene outboard tank. I have a 2" round hole with a cover over it in the "liner" structure of the boat which is lifted off so I can see the gauge directly underneath. The gauge type is one with the spiral shaft and a float that rises and falls with the fuel level to make the needle move. Almost impossible for it to go wrong.

Wherever possible, always have a Plan B on a boat.

Cheers, RR.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:06   #20

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

As others have said, mine failed from water inside and accumulated bacterial acids and crap. On a Gulf 32 like mine you are able to go a long time not noticing because the generous 70 gallon aluminum tank was installed with a fiberglass burrito around all but the top. It is only an issue if you filled the tank to full and then bounced around, in which case the fuel would slosh out over the edge of the encasing fiberglass.

On mine I found the whole tank bottom swiss cheese. I repaired it myself, in situ, and tell the whole sordid story with photos on my non-commercial blog: https://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/20...c-fashion.html

One of the great learnings from my project was the discovery of Flamemaster 3204B2 as an impervious sealant for the bottom of tanks. I did my tank in 2016 and now check it annually, and it remains spotless! I've also switched to Renewable Diesel so it doesn't stink and isn't hygroscopic. Learning, learning, learning.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:18   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a mechanical fuel gage on my aluminum diesel tank. It has a ground to the deck fill but that’s it.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 21:31   #22

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

I had fibreglass vinylestyer/epoxy tanks for both water and diesel on my 12m steel “Joshua” ketch. The 350lt fuel tank was in the bilge under the cabin sole and was removable, held down by bolted-on transverse ss beams which also held up the cabin sole pieces.
The fuel tank bottom and sides was moulded in place as a unit using thin foam as a spacer and plastic sheeting to prevent the resin from sticking to the steel. The foam was to build in a gap between the tank and the steel and when the tank was installed, I used thick rubber strips to raise the tank off the steel.
After bottom and sides in-place layup was thick enough, I took the unit out glassed in baffles, and put on the top which had 2 bolt-on inspection plates. I removed the tank every 6-7 years and cleaned it out on land.
Water tank was under the V berth and made in the same way.
In my book alloy tanks are a problem waiting to happen. Stainless tankage is better, but really does need to be very well designed, made of proper thickness and grade material, and with perfect welding.
Fibreglass/epoxy is cheaper and once done will never leak.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, tanks