Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 17:57   #16

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30
Re: allied chance 30 30 hardware

As I've said,I'm no purest. I'll get the best I can afford, but it'll be heavier than required. Just my nature. Just figured I'd ask. All advice is helpful, which ever choice we make. You find out who was right at the most inconvenient times. I'm learning to love this boat.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 18:25   #17
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinbob1 View Post
Thanks for the leads. I'm honored you took the time. I have read some of the threads of your travels. I think I'll stick with the Gulf of Mexico, for now, and the Caribbean once I'm proficient. Nice to know she'll handle more than I'm likely to ask. How do I determine which hull I have? I'll follow up the leads you've given. Keep her sailing, and I'll do my best to do mine the justice she deserves. Thanks again.
I seem to recall mine had a plaque mounted in the cockpit well, directly beneath the tiller, which indicated the Hull #...

To the best of my knowledge, only about 45 of them were built... They're surprisingly rare, I think I've only seen 2 others besides my own in the flesh... Quite a number seem to have made it out to the Great Lakes, but given they were built up on the Hudson, I've always been a bit surprised I haven't seen more around LI Sound and southern New England...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Your boat has a 'baby stay' that helps bend the mast for stabilizing/shaping the mast. It should also have an 'inner stay' for flying a staysail/cutter rig sail.
An inner stay was not in the original sailplan, and my boat might well be the only one that's had one added. After I acquired my boat, I paid a visit to Brit's office up in Essex, CT to run some ideas I had by him... He didn't think all that much of the idea, which sort of surprised me, considering that with such a large J dimension and the mast placed so far aft, the foretriangle would seem ideally suited for a conversion to a cutter rig... But in fairness, I believe he may have thought I was mostly gonna be doing a lot of short tacking in my home waters of Barnegat Bay, rather than ranging further afield and offshore...

but, I went ahead and did it anyway, and have been pretty pleased, overall... Not a simple add-on, however, I had to build in a bulkhead forward to lend support to the deck attachment point, and of course add running backs, as well... Unless one is headed offshore, seems a bit of overkill for the boat, although one of the primary reasons I did so was to add a bit of additional support to the deck-stepped rig with inline shrouds without fore and aft lowers, and to help inhibit the mast pumping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
And the sailor I was thinking of was, Jon Eisberg! I knew of him many years ago when I used to post on the Cruising World forum.
Ahh, yes - the Good Old Days... :-)

That was quite the group back in the day, it's really a pity that CRUISING WORLD let it whither like they did... But there's still a pretty large residue of the original crowd who still hang out on what it morphed into, the CSBB... Still, it's pretty quiet there these days, hence a gasbag like me wandering into other forums like Sailnet, and here...

Cheers, always nice to cross paths again from those from way back when...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 18:45   #18

Always nice to hear from old friends. So I guess what your telling me is I've tipped, stumbled, and fell into a nice boat. Oh,joy for me! I'll check that plate for the hull number. She's got a great 2 cylinder Yanmar,20 horse. Sounds like a bunch of monkeys beating on pans,but she moves on out. Makes it nice when the sails go up!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:02   #19

I recently, like Thursday, added a new instrument cluster today my 2qm20 Yanmar, and thanks again for everyone's input, works great,though I fried an amp meter. While I was doing that,I ran wires to the volt guage, and noticed there was no wire running from the alternator to,well, anywhere. A friend replaced the alternator when I bought the boat,so I had no idea. No excuse,but true. I have a,what I believe is,100 watt flexible solar panel, running to a Sun Saver 6 charge controller, and 2 new AGM 1000 cranking amps/100 amp hour batteries. The panel is 11 ft long, and 14 inches wide,and my batteries stay at close to 14 volts,seldom dipping below 12.6 volts,when there's little,or no sun. I'm refitting the boat,and don't the electrical is a mess. Don't ask about the battery box! She had a 13 switch electrical distribution panel, but, a previous owner , has piggy backed everything on to a 6 switch panel. I'm ordering a 13 switch AC/ DC panel from Paneltronics. Thankfully, everything works. Ok,that's the background. Here are my questions. 1, I've run a hot wire, from the alternator, to a single bus ,which was feeding the 6 switch distrbution panel ,from the isolation switch ,to the batteries. Is this a proper configuration? Or should I run it to the isolation switch? I ,when running the engine, keep the isolation switch in the both battery position. 2, my solar panel has the controller box, I mentioned , to keep me from overcharging the batteries. I'm not mechanic, but I'm reasonably intelligent,and know, in my car,my alternator doesn't overcharge my batteries, so,do I need to be concerned that my boat's alternator is pumping juice into the batteries when I'm underway, or does it operate the same as my car? I guess what I'm asking is,do I need to add something between the alternator, and the batteries, that performs the same function as the controller box,or is that inherent in an alternator? Thanks,hope I made some sort of sense. Will appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2017, 14:19   #20

Boat: 1978 Hunter 27

What was the panel you installed for your Yanmar? Where from?
Rookie Oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:00   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Seems CSBB died with Jon. He probably suffered a heart attack and died very unexpectedly a year or so ago. The site was never the same after he died. Sailed the hell out his Chance. Believe he migrated south every winter. Seems he was always leaving late in December from New England probably because of the demands of his delivery captain business. In the summer he sailed the boat pretty fair north in Canada among other exploits. The boat was heavily modified below deck. Looked like he gutted it and rebuilt to his liking with very high quality. He apparently solo'd mostly and had a windvane for self steering which is a big plus if you decide to go cruising. Don't know if there is an archive on CSBB site but would be worth looking up his posts. He was a great photographer with many pictures on that site and a good writer. Whoever got his boat got a gem.

I looked at a Chance 3030 a couple of years ago. Was pleasantly surprized at how well the boats were built compared to the other junk on the market. Still kicking myself for not buying it but the time wasn't right. Had crewed on one in the early 70s and we were always competitive in the racing fleet in Hampton Roads area. Very close winded but needed a spinnaker as soon as we could get one to fill on a reach to stay ahead of the CCA boats because of the short footed main.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 21:58   #22

I bought hull #27 two years ago. She looks to be,basically, untouched cabin wise,though I'm refitting the galley because a previous owner wasn't much of a carpenter. I'm updating the electronics, and modifying the v-berth (you've got to be a contortionist to get in ,and out,of there. The deck hardware has been totally modified, but she handles like a dream. If Jon is the man I exchanged messages with when I first acquired the 27th Chance,I'm truly saddened by the news. He made me feel like I had stumbled on to a gem. Since sailing her,I can't but agree with his opinion. Fair winds....Click image for larger version

Name:	20160930_133039.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	147814
Old 14-05-2017, 22:04   #23

Not sure which panel your asking about. This is the electrical distribution panel I'm installing Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_135649.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	147815
Old 15-05-2017, 11:05   #24

Boat: 1978 Hunter 27

I was referring to the instrument panel for the Yanmar. I found a source after asking and replaced mine.
Rookie Oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:35   #25

Oh,I made my own. Had a bit of a problem finding an oil pressure gauge. The 2qm20 came with an idiot light. Bought a Bosh at Advanced Auto for less than 20 bucks. Fried the amp meter,but it was redundant anyway,since I have a volt meter. I'll replace the amp meter with a tach. Really just to fill the hole. I can hear when it's ok to engage the transmission. Turned out fairly nice,though I'm not crazy about it's position in the cockpit. The wood is sapele,which I'm using throughout the cabin,with the original mahogany trim. Still looking for a product to paint the formica bulkheads. Any ideas would be appreciated. Here's a photo of the instrument cluster. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_153719.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	147834
Old 15-05-2017, 11:38   #26

Better?Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_182524.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.8 KB