Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 23:43   #1

Boat: Boro Tahiti 47'
Send a message via Skype™ to Rebar_Caruso
Affixing LPG metal plate.... "per law"....

Alright - Dodgy plumber got the prior owner the certification for the propane despite 3 different leaks in 3 different places (knew I smelled something funny....). Called in a guy to help me get er done & did.

Just today, I got a plate with LPG storage from him, which, is supposed to be law to have it affixed. I don't want to drill & screw holes (metal boat), and the locker top is on the walkway starboard of the cockpit, I don't want to slice my feet up as I blithely stumble my way forward. Painted surface, what kind of epoxy/superglue are we talking about for this so it doesn't slide off with the first wave up the side? Saltwater environment. Keep it simple please.. like me.

Thanks -
Rebar_Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 23:56   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Affixing LPG metal plate.... "per law"....

Simple arodite will do it, but can i suggest a much better option?

Take the plate to a vynal printers and have them make an external sticker and stick it on. That way you wont cut your feet.

Boat Names.com would do it for you.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Simple arodite will do it ...
I presume you mean “Araldite”, a two part epoxy adhesive.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I presume you mean “Araldite”, a two part epoxy adhesive.
i didnt have time to look up the spelling.
Old 14-03-2016, 07:49   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

I'd just paint the required info on the lid.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:38   #6

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Yes, indeed, paint is the best way to go, IMHO. Get a set of 3/4"-1" stencils, do it nice and neat. See this all the time on working vessels. Use a suitable paint, then clear coat over when finished for additional durability.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:06   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebar_Caruso View Post
Alright - Dodgy plumber got the prior owner the certification for the propane despite 3 different leaks in 3 different places (knew I smelled something funny....). Called in a guy to help me get er done & did.

Just today, I got a plate with LPG storage from him, which, is supposed to be law to have it affixed. I don't want to drill & screw holes (metal boat), and the locker top is on the walkway starboard of the cockpit, I don't want to slice my feet up as I blithely stumble my way forward. Painted surface, what kind of epoxy/superglue are we talking about for this so it doesn't slide off with the first wave up the side? Saltwater environment. Keep it simple please.. like me.

Thanks -

Rebel against silly laws Click image for larger version

Name:	Anarchy in the UK.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	120700

Sorry-didn't have an Aussie one.
Old 14-03-2016, 12:19   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Simple arodite will do it, but can i suggest a much better option?

Take the plate to a vynal printers and have them make an external sticker and stick it on. That way you wont cut your feet.

Boat Names.com would do it for you.
Maybe this an Exacto knife to make a stencil and a sass brush with paint would be the solution? Keep the stencil.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:00   #9

Boat: Ericson 35-2

I have found Marine Goop to be incredibly tenacious stuff... sticks pretty well anything to pretty well anything for a long time
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:02   #10

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

I am with marine goop.....near the stove......
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:10   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sticking something down with an adhesive is only as good as the surface, paint.
God forbid someone should say Liquid Nails. It can't be any good it does not have the Marine price tag.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 16:02   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

My apologies if this is seen as a hi-jacking, but I have a similar dilemma and would like to ask the opinion of the learned folk on this forum: -
. . . Mine is a Canadian registered f/g vessel. I'm required to 'carve' the Official Registered Number into a beam or something similar that is a part of the hull that would be difficult, if not impossible to remove/replace. I believe the same is required by the USCG on US registered vessels.
The only place I see with sufficient space that I can readily apply this number, is on the inside 'Arborite' surface veneer permanently bonded to the F/G cabin top adjacent to the main hatch.
My grand-daughter kindly created a paper 'stencil' of the required info in the appropriate dimensions on her computer. I've since stuck the said stencil on the area mentioned and it fits perfectly.
I'm now wondering how to 'etch' the letters and numbers into a laminate material?
I've tried an 'electric pencil' to no avail; Paint is not considered to be permanent as are stick-on letters & numbers; Same with anything that is mechanically attached with metal fasteners.
Any and all help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 16:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
My apologies if this is seen as a hi-jacking, but I have a similar dilemma and would like to ask the opinion of the learned folk on this forum: -
. . . Mine is a Canadian registered f/g vessel. I'm required to 'carve' the Official Registered Number into a beam or something similar that is a part of the hull that would be difficult, if not impossible to remove/replace. I believe the same is required by the USCG on US registered vessels.
The only place I see with sufficient space that I can readily apply this number, is on the inside 'Arborite' surface veneer permanently bonded to the F/G cabin top adjacent to the main hatch.
My grand-daughter kindly created a paper 'stencil' of the required info in the appropriate dimensions on her computer. I've since stuck the said stencil on the area mentioned and it fits perfectly.
I'm now wondering how to 'etch' the letters and numbers into a laminate material?
I've tried an 'electric pencil' to no avail; Paint is not considered to be permanent as are stick-on letters & numbers; Same with anything that is mechanically attached with metal fasteners.
Any and all help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
You have an official number over there?

Are you asking about an LPG installation or something else?
Old 14-03-2016, 17:42   #14

Sailorbob, going to join your hijack briefly. I had the same issue. What I did was cut the numbers out of dark coloured paper and glue them where I wanted them. In my case it was inside a lazarette. Then I mixed up some resin and applied two or three layer of fibreglass cloth over them. The numbers show up fine through the glass. Finally I used a dremel and etched around each number through the glass. The only way to get them off now is with a grinder.
Grant Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 18:32   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Yes, indeed, paint is the best way to go, IMHO. Get a set of 3/4"-1" stencils, do it nice and neat. See this all the time on working vessels. Use a suitable paint, then clear coat over when finished for additional durability.
I use lacquer & stencils for boat numbers often. If it needs to be removed - thinner & a rag. If you want to glue the tag on - 3M 5200 - rough up the back of the tag.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote