Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 19:37   #1

Advice on Putting a Water Tank in Empty Engine Void

I have an outboard version of the bristol 27, and I want to put a 15 gallon (approx) barrel in the bilge where the atomic 4 would have been and plumb it in as a potable water tank. Does anyone see any potential problems from this? I'm particularly concerned about how to properly put the weight of it to the hull.

thanks!
captain-cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:52   #2

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: advice on putting a water tank in empty engine void

this is a pretty smart idea.

take a look at the water lines now and consider the tank (8lbs per gallon) as a ballast.

i would stay away from bladders use a custom tank if necessary (Marine Water Tanks | Boat Water Tanks) or supply your own measurements to any of the companies that fab tanks.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:10   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

Our inboard is some 600 pounds. How I wish this space could be our water tanks ...

Go for it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 14:47   #4

Boat: csy 37

I intentionally took the inboard engine out of my 27' albin and replaced it with a water tank. Use a rigid tank and build a simple cradle for it - maybe using the engine mount blocks - to keep the tank in place. If you are going cruising, make it the biggest tank you can fit.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 20:07   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The OP wrote that he wanted to use a barrel. For that, a pair of timber saddles would work, and one could use lashings to secure it. One would not want it to come agley.

Ann
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10   #6

Thanks for the replies, all!
captain-cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28   #7

As Ann says, saddles work well, Plywood glassed in if done stout and secure. But you'll get a lot more water, and easier to secure, if you buy a custom plastic rectangular tank to fit the space. They are pretty reasonable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25   #8

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I intentionally took the inboard engine out of my 27' albin and replaced it with a water tank. Use a rigid tank and build a simple cradle for it - maybe using the engine mount blocks - to keep the tank in place. If you are going cruising, make it the biggest tank you can fit.

What engine did you replace it with? Could I do this on Bristol 30' ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09   #9

Re: Advice on Putting a Water Tank in Empty Engine Void

I replaced the troublesome, expensive to fix, hard to get parts for, Albin gas engine with a 7.5 hp outboard. I reinforced the transom and put an outboard bracket on it. I used the old engine mounts to fasten a wooden platform down and then mounted the water tank on that. I never put a deck filler on so filling the tank meant pulling away the companionway steps, but I preferred that to drilling another hole in the deck.

Like I said, if you are going cruising, fit the biggest tank you can. You can never have too much fresh water.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56   #10

Boat: C&C Newport 41

You dont need to drill your fill line thru the deck...

You might consider using 1" flexible PVC from the tank to (thru) a bulkhead so you dont need to pull the stairs each time you fill the tank.

OR

Plumb a Y with a ball valve into your cockpit drain. When you are ready to fill your tank (or collect rain water on a long cruise) open the ball valve and instead or draining out the bottom, you will drain into your tank which will enable you to fill the tank from the above deck. If you do T into your cockpit drain, Make sure you have that ball valve in place. You will not be happy when water comes over the rail and you end up with salt water in your tank.

OR

There are a lot of retractable garden hose products on the market.

How big of a tank did you install? Did you make any modifications to the barrel; install any baffles, gauge to determine tank levels, filtration?

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I replaced the troublesome, expensive to fix, hard to get parts for, Albin gas engine with a 7.5 hp outboard. I reinforced the transom and put an outboard bracket on it. I used the old engine mounts to fasten a wooden platform down and then mounted the water tank on that. I never put a deck filler on so filling the tank meant pulling away the companionway steps, but I preferred that to drilling another hole in the deck.

Like I said, if you are going cruising, fit the biggest tank you can. You can never have too much fresh water.
Great advice. Thank you, thank you
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post

You might consider using 1" flexible PVC from the tank to (thru) a bulkhead so you dont need to pull the stairs each time you fill the tank.

OR

Plumb a Y with a ball valve into your cockpit drain. When you are ready to fill your tank (or collect rain water on a long cruise) open the ball valve and instead or draining out the bottom, you will drain into your tank which will enable you to fill the tank from the above deck. If you do T into your cockpit drain, Make sure you have that ball valve in place. You will not be happy when water comes over the rail and you end up with salt water in your tank.

OR

There are a lot of retractable garden hose products on the market.

How big of a tank did you install? Did you make any modifications to the barrel; install any baffles, gauge to determine tank levels, filtration?

-steve
Thanks for the solid advice. I just love u guys and gals. I just bought a 1971 Bristol 30' and have a lot of work to do on it and this forum is just the berries!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain-cowboy View Post
I have an outboard version of the bristol 27, and I want to put a 15 gallon (approx) barrel in the bilge where the atomic 4 would have been and plumb it in as a potable water tank. Does anyone see any potential problems from this? I'm particularly concerned about how to properly put the weight of it to the hull.

thanks!
May I ask what outboard you put on? And thanks for the post, I've been thinking of this.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
Thanks steve. All good ideas. Only my natural laziness kept me from improving the fill system. I should tell you that this is a boat I owned in the 1980's. I'm much lazier now.

The raincatcher idea is good too. I wound up with a tarp that did double duty as a sun awning. I fitted a garden hose connector through it. When it rained I put a short hose on the connector and ran that into a jerry jug. It worked well enough in the rain but any real wind made it hard to handle.

The tank was just under 30 gallons. It was not a barrel but a rectangular commercial tank. I would have gone bigger but back then there was not as big a choice as there is today. I also had to get it in through the engine access opening behind the companionway ladder. The 'guage' was a flashlight that I shone through the plastic tank. Which reminds me...

When sizing your tank, remember it might ultimately fit in the space, but can you get it in there? Make a cardboard mockup if that would help.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
May I ask what outboard you put on? And thanks for the post, I've been thinking of this.
Zengirl, think twice about replacing a working inboard on a 30' boat. You are at the upper end of where an outboard is practical, although this may depend on how you intend to use your boat. Would you mind telling us your cruising plans?

Tags
engine, water