Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 11:43   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Adhesive recommendations for sticking ptfe sheet to fibreglass

[QUOTE=Ecos;2714661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Good luck bonding PTFE, we had it all over an aircraft, and were constantly replacing parts cause it had disbonded.

Almost nothing sticks to an AG plane, and nothing sticks behind a turbine engine either. I use 3M #5451 on control surface areas. It holds up well unless it gets hot turbine oil on it. It's a PTFE tape with silicone glue.

There are all kinds of aviation tapes, some are crazy $$. The one above is $35 per roll, some are $350!

This was the Apache Helicopter and apparently when it was designed (1970s) bonding and composites were all the rage.
Hence if you maintained one, You leaned soon all about the term disbonded, I had always thought it was debonded, but soon learned.
Kept me in a job anyways.

I mean think about it, the purpose of Teflon if you will is to be super slippery, so how do you glue super slippery stuff?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

I bought some PTFE tape on eBay to put on my davits where the dingy rubbed on it, the adhesive on it only lasted for a few weeks. I wiped it down with some laquer thinner and coated it with LEXEL. Three years later it's still stuck.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 17:15   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

How about using timber, Lignum Vitae or something similar. They use it for ship's propeller shaft bearings and ship's rudder bearings--or used to before plastics became available. Maybe they still do. They are water-lubricated.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, men