Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 07:23   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Adding water Tankage

I have a Tayana 37 that was refitted years ago, leaving the boat with 60gal of fuel under the floor about 3’ forward of the engine. Then there is 30gal water tank immediately forward of that.
I would like to add about 50 gal of water under the v berth in place of the 18gal 2nd fuel tank I removed. The tank would have to be custom to fit in that area and would be a triangular shape located as far aft as possible and go to the bottom of the space to be as low as possible. I’m figuring it could weigh up to 600lb when full.
Is this too much weight in the bow? Boat displacement is 22500lbs.
Thanks
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 07:33   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Adding water Tankage

Freeland, the difference between the 18 gal tank full weight, and the tank you want to add is not appreciable on a displacement cruising sailboat. If you are racing her, different story. Since all this weight is centerline, that is best case. I see you are from Palm Beach. If you are considering cruising, a smallish water maker might be a better spend of time and money. Regarding weight in the bow, do you have an all chain rode or combination chain/rope? Either way, as I said above, the weight difference is not a major change in a cruising yacht.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water