Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 14:32   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Adding deadlights to a Kelly Peterson 44

Hi all,

I am sitting here on my Swanson 42, greatly enjoying the view from the main settee. Although not pilot-house level, I’ve got a pretty good outlook as the lovely bronze opening portlights on the sides of the boat are only a little below eye level and allow me to see what is going on outside without getting of my backside.

The new boat, a Kelly Peterson 44 has no such luxury. All twelve of the bronze portlights are on the side of the cabin trunk and the only way to see anything other than sky is to perform a chin-up or stand on the settee.

Next to me is a shiny new Sun Odyssey with two lovely deadlights per side, one positioned about midships, aft of the chain plates, about where they’d be great on the KP44.

So, the KP44 is three quarters of an inch of solid fibreglass at that point. Provided I steered clear of the chain plates I figure it should be safe to add some deadlights.

Thoughts?

Matt
Old 10-05-2022, 16:41   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Adding deadlights to a Kelly Peterson 44

Matt, would you buy them ready-mode or have to patent something yourself?
Old 10-05-2022, 18:15   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

May I suggest a small step stool?

Sorry, I'm having kind of a terse day. What i was thinking is that some boats have steel straps embedded in the hull for taking the loads from the chainplates, laterally out along the hull. So, my concern is that I don't know the construction of your hull, I would not want to cut a big hole in the hull and lose that strength that was designed in there. It will be hours of labor to do a nice job on it, even if it were safe to do so. How long does it take to go to Miter 10 or Bunnings and get a step stool? Cheaper, and useful for cleaning the overhead, etc.

Ann
Old 10-05-2022, 20:00   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Ann

I couldn't agree more.

I know from experience that you shouldn't play around with the design of the yacht. I shifted a deck hatch back along the yacht about a meter and I now realize why the yacht architect had put the hatch where it was on the drawings.

The penny dropped when a fellow forumite stated many yachts have a deck hatch directly above the chain locker so that chain stacking can be managed from the deck. Geeez!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:15   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gilow I hear what you're saying. I have been tossing up for years about putting portholes in the sides of our yacht. I like the idea of some cross ventilation and being able to easily look outside.
I wouldn't think think they would weaken your hull. You could always lay up some extra glass on the inside. I just checked Lewmar specs and their ports easily handle 25mm thickness.
You could always do a Laura Dekker and just sit on the chart table cross legged.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Matt, would you buy them ready-mode or have to patent something yourself?

Not sure, suspect I’d have to make them myself. But there may be something decent and affordable out there in the right size.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
May I suggest a small step stool?

Sorry, I'm having kind of a terse day. What i was thinking is that some boats have steel straps embedded in the hull for taking the loads from the chainplates, laterally out along the hull. So, my concern is that I don't know the construction of your hull, I would not want to cut a big hole in the hull and lose that strength that was designed in there. It will be hours of labor to do a nice job on it, even if it were safe to do so. How long does it take to go to Miter 10 or Bunnings and get a step stool? Cheaper, and useful for cleaning the overhead, etc.

Ann

Nothing in the hull to dodge.

A stool would be just another thing to stow before sailing.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Gilow I hear what you're saying. I have been tossing up for years about putting portholes in the sides of our yacht. I like the idea of some cross ventilation and being able to easily look outside.

I wouldn't think think they would weaken your hull. You could always lay up some extra glass on the inside. I just checked Lewmar specs and their ports easily handle 25mm thickness.

You could always do a Laura Dekker and just sit on the chart table cross legged.

Cheers

Laura is a LOT younger than me, and, I suspect, a hell of a lot more flexible.

Anyway, I removed the chart table, along with the interior of the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	257580
Old 11-05-2022, 04:55   #9

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Hi Matt

Ports in the topsides always look vulnerable to me. Also I think it would spoil the look of your boat. Since it looks like you have gutted the interior, why not raise the floors to suit your outlook.
As you might guess I can rarely see out of most boat's ports.
I have often thought a periscope would be handy
Old 11-05-2022, 05:29   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Matt,
We have original deadlights in our hull. They are nice for letting in light and some view while at anchor. Not certain what size of DL you wanted to put in,
but think you could easily do 2 on each side with good structural integrity.

There are couple of possible downsides to the DLs.

1. People can possibly look into your boat through the DLs. Didn't even dawn on us that this could happen until someone came by by boat/dinghy and if they stood up could directly into the boat. This was easily remedied by port inserts to block the peeping Toms, but never noticed it when at the dock. https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/20...cy-please.html

2. A lesser issue may be leaks if the DLs are too low/your boat heels over too much and you constantly submerge them. With your solid f/g hull doubt this would be a real issue compared to a cored hull.

Our free board is a bit more than yours and I use our DLs as a clinometer. Near 30 degrees heel, the DLs start to go underwater. This is the time to reduce sail, since our boat sails better more upright.

IMO, the above are minor concerns and don't see an issue w/hull integrity by putting in well constructed DLs.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:32   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Laura is a LOT younger than me, and, I suspect, a hell of a lot more flexible.

Anyway, I removed the chart table, along with the interior of the boat.

Attachment 257580
My eyes! My eyes!

Three thorts.

Raise the cabin sole around the saloon table area. Two concerns with that... reduction of headroom and people falling and injuring themselves when standing up from table.

Steerable CCTV on cabin top

Fit bimini - sit in cockpit.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:36   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you didn't want to make them here is a source: (or use these to give you dimensions to make your own)
https://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_fix...eck_prism.html

I'm certain there are others for commercially made fixed ports.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Hi Matt

Ports in the topsides always look vulnerable to me. Also I think it would spoil the look of your boat. Since it looks like you have gutted the interior, why not raise the floors to suit your outlook.
As you might guess I can rarely see out of most boat's ports.
I have often thought a periscope would be handy

Raising the floor would kinda defeat the purpose. I bought this thing for the headroom after a few years of mild concussion on the Swanson.

Hey… I know, how about four small LCD screens wired to external cameras…?

I’m actually half serious…
Old 11-05-2022, 06:01   #14

Adding deadlights to a Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
My eyes! My eyes!

Three thorts.

Raise the cabin sole around the saloon table area. Two concerns with that... reduction of headroom and people falling and injuring themselves when standing up from table.

Steerable CCTV on cabin top

Fit bimini - sit in cockpit.

Yeah, sorry, that photo should have come with a warning to sensitive viewers. Horrible hey?

Raise floor? No way. See point about Swanson interior and the scar tissue forming on my forehead.

CCTV… see my idea about four lcd screens.

Wait till you see my plans for the cockpit! It is going to be awesome. I plan to live up there. But not in winter in Tasmania, that’s a step too far.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Matt,
We have original deadlights in our hull. They are nice for letting in light and some view while at anchor. Not certain what size of DL you wanted to put in,
but think you could easily do 2 on each side with good structural integrity.

There are couple of possible downsides to the DLs.

1. People can possibly look into your boat through the DLs. Didn't even dawn on us that this could happen until someone came by by boat/dinghy and if they stood up could directly into the boat. This was easily remedied by port inserts to block the peeping Toms, but never noticed it when at the dock. https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/20...cy-please.html

2. A lesser issue may be leaks if the DLs are too low/your boat heels over too much and you constantly submerge them. With your solid f/g hull doubt this would be a real issue compared to a cored hull.

Our free board is a bit more than yours and I use our DLs as a clinometer. Near 30 degrees heel, the DLs start to go underwater. This is the time to reduce sail, since our boat sails better more upright.

IMO, the above are minor concerns and don't see an issue w/hull integrity by putting in well constructed DLs.

Issue 1 is easily solved. I walk around mostly naked, nobody will look in twice.

Like you, I’m not too worried about structural integrity. Swanson has eight of them, all of which are the opening sort, and the top of the boat hasn’t come off. Yet.

Leaks are certainly an issue with the Swanson portlights, though mainly when I run aground and end up with the boat on her side. And even then it was easily handled with a few towels.

Tags
peterson