Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 12:16   #1

Adding a timber rub strip to existing alloy tow rail?

Hey Guys, just a question has anyone added a timber rub strip onto an existing alloy tow rail?

It seems almost every time I berth my boat I end up touching one of the sticks (whilst grabbing my stern lines) as I enter my pen, and put small scratches on the hull. I see the guys in their timber boats resting up against the same poles as they pickup their lines without damage.

I’m thinking a piece of timber along each of my toe rail may eliminate this damage. I was thinking of spacing some preprofiled blocks of timber along the existing alloy tow rail ( to provide a flat surface ). Then screwing a strip on timber onto the blocks. I think I could produce a timer rail that would be reasonable on the eye.

Have any of u guys done this? I’m thinking it needs to be built out at least 40mm from the existing tow rail to reduce / eliminate this damage?

Regards Guys.
Australiandad is offline   Reply With Quote