Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55   #1

Boat: Outremer 51
add hooks to sail locker for hanging things

Hi - I want to take some blocks of wood and fiberglass them to the walls of our sail locker so that I can then screw in some hooks for hanging sail bags, kayak, canopy, etc to make it easier to manage the space. What materials do I need?

I was thinking some 2-part resin, sand paper, the wood blocks and hooks, and perhaps some bilge paint? Any advice appreciated!
cooties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: add hooks to sail locker for hanging things

There is an adhesive that is two part but self mixing that uses a small caulking gun that would I think be prefect for this.
I was going to glass in my mounts for my water maker membranes and was suggested to use this adhesive.
Just remembered the name Plexus, any way strong and dries very quick and is perfect for mounting small things, squirts out of the fuel, stick whatever to the wall with blue masking tape and it hold well, no real prep and no mess.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Not a bunch of information here - could you supply more?

You are talking about making a base to screw into. Question: Can you get to the other side of the locker wall, such that you could washer and bolt the hooks in place? Could you mount the hooks on a strip of wood or composite, and then bolt or screw the strip to the side of the locker? Can you hang the hooks from the lip of the locker?

A picture of the situation would help.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20   #4

Boat: Outremer 51

ah - no on either side of the sail locker is the hull, meaning the walls are the hull - it's the forward-most locker where all the sails currently are, so I just want to affix blocks of wood to screw into.

A64 - you mention "small things" - would that Plexus stuff be OK for say a hundred pounds shear force over a 4" square area?
cooties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:24   #5

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

This stuff is expensive but:

1. Already proportionally correct as it comes out.

2. Slightly thickened and won't run.

3. The biggie is that it is slightly flexible.

4. Sands like regular epoxy.

It also works great in gelcoat flex cracks! Grind the crack down into the fiberglass, fill, sand, paint, and the flexibility keeps new cracks from developing.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgJ0EfD_BwE
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooties View Post
ah - no on either side of the sail locker is the hull, meaning the walls are the hull - it's the forward-most locker where all the sails currently are, so I just want to affix blocks of wood to screw into.

A64 - you mention "small things" - would that Plexus stuff be OK for say a hundred pounds shear force over a 4" square area?

I don’t know how strong it is, but apparently many newer production boats are essentially put together with it and it seems to work to hold liners in, bulkheads etc.
Now many, myself included would rather have “properly” tabbed in Bulkheads, but that’s not the case in many newer boats.

We have a member who is a composite expert, he recommend it for me, and it has worked perfectly and saved me a lot of work.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:33   #7

I mounted our watermaker using small blocks of plywood attached to the hull using West System epoxy. I predrilled the blocks and installed T nuts on the blocks before attaching to the hull. I then sealed the blocks with epoxy. Worked well.
If it were me, I’d use nylon cleats rather than hooks.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:34   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The MMA (Plexus) as described by A64 isn't bad for certain applications. It does bond quickly, but also has a very strong odor when curing.
If you are worried about the bond not being strong enough maybe consider epoxy or a polyurethane.
Here is a link to a short article comparing the pros/cons of epoxy, MMA and polyurethane adhesives.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:57   #9

Quote:
Hi - I want to take some blocks of wood and fiberglass them to the walls of our sail locker so that I can then screw in some hooks for hanging sail bags, kayak, canopy, etc to make it easier to manage the space. What materials do I need?

I was thinking some 2-part resin, sand paper, the wood blocks and hooks, and perhaps some bilge paint? Any advice appreciated!
Sounds like you are more than half way through doing your project.

Two things that come to mind is: coating wood with epoxy prior to installing. The other is depending where you install what type of hooks to use. We installed ours on side of opening hatch just inside opening so items are easy to grab. The hooks we used are larger ones used to hang bikes upside down from tires. Screw them in the bottom of the wood. This allows almost anything to hang from them, sometimes from ropes with loops to items if locker is deep and you can rotate them flat if not needed or if you have to crawl in the locker.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:34   #10

Boat: Ericson 35-2

did this on the upper outboard 'wall' of the cockpit lazarette... used GOOP to adhere wooden cleats to the fiberglass. Clings like grim death. Construction polyurethane adhesive also works; both are cheap cheap. 3M 5200 also works if you want to use expensive 'boat stuff'.
Make sure the fiberglass is clean with light wipe with acetone.The cleats need to be taped in place until the adhesive sets up.
Then screw in a plate across the cleats and install a series of hangers on the plate.
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:11   #11

I solved this problem by epoxying the blocks to the hull using West System and then using small nylon horn cleats (instead of hooks) that you can get from Amazon screwed into the blocks. The cleats are more versatile than hooks and you can develop an entire "storage" system for all sort of things. The whole thing is very solid, light, and marine looking.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

I use this:

Weld Mount - System Kits

I mounted our hot water tank to the vertical surface of the hull with 4 of these studs.
The small clips are handy for wiring.

Practical Sailor has an article this month showing a clever way to make a functional hook.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:15   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I made something similar with 1" square aluminum tube with slots cut in it which holds short pieces of small line to wrap around the electric cords, fenders, etc. I bolted the to the inside surface of the lazerette.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:33   #14

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Just for hanging stuff, I have made "rings", from 1/2-3/4" long section of aluminum pipe. I tapped a hole in one side and threaded them onto the ends of the bolts that hang down from the toerail/stanchions, etc. Quick and easy.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:39   #15

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:

sikaflex stick well to almost anything dosnt matter how rough the surface.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail