Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2022, 08:31   #1

Boat: Newport 30
Add a Windlass to a 30 foot sailboat

Hello all.
I want to add a windlass to my Newport 30. While I have some fiberglass experience, completing a structural addition is out of my league. I'm fine with the electrical/control system installation.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Should I attempt it myself? Or should I bring in a pro. My boat is in Saanich, BC. Does anyone know a pro in the area?

Thanks

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 08:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Add a Windlass to a 30 foot sailboat

Let's consider the task. You're comfortable with the electrical part, including the switching, probably including a relay, and the large conductors back to the battery. The complexity of the mechanical part likely depends on whether you will have to build up anything on top of the deck to position the windlass. If it can go somewhere flat, the only real challenge is a large plate under the deck, with through bolts, to distribute the load. You don't want the windlass pulling out or damaging the deck under load. That plate might be the same size as the base of the windlass, mounted under the deck, or larger and even larger plus additional through bolts around the edges. You can use your judgement or seek "is this big enough" advice. You could also check under your existing winches to see what level of backing was used there.

Positioning the plate? Drill a small hole downward at the center of the windlass, and use that to center the plate underneath.

I'm inclined to think that if you can handle the wiring you can handle the mount. The remaining question is whether you want to. In the long term, getting more into the mechanics of your boat will pay off. Good luck with it.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:01   #3

Thank you for your excellent advice & encouragement! One major issue that I will need to deal with is the placement. There isn't enough room forward of the anchor locker to put a windlass there, so my choices are at the rear of the locker, or perhaps building a shelf inside it. Newport built a huge anchor locker, but this left little room beside/in front for mounts.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 23-01-2022, 09:11   #4

Pics of your bow and anchor locker etc would help. Otherwise we are just guessing.
Do you have anchor locker doors on deck? I assume so.
-You can build a structural shelf which anchors to the bulkhead aft of the locker, modify your doors to close around the windlass. I did this on the boat in my Avatar.
On mine I made the 'shelf' with a 4" tube that allowed the chain to pass through. I had this problem on a Catamaran. Also, this is an expensive project as the shelf will need to be heavy duty. I had mine made out of 3/4" thick aluminum plate.

-DO you have a hollow area below your anchor locker? or is it deep already with no "floor"? The trouble is, most anchor lockers are shallow and stacking chain will jam the windlass readily.

-For the complexity of the above scheme, You may be better off mounting the windlass on the deck aft of the locker doors. Then you will have to build a "sliding shelf" for the chain to slide down into the lower locker.

Various schemes, you'll just have to figure what works on your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	251789  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:29   #5

I can't believe I forgot to add the pics! I went to the boat yesterday specifically to take pictures and measurements of the location!
Here they are:
IMG-0035.jpg

IMG-0036.jpg

IMG-0037.jpg

I hope I added them correctly

Thanks

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-0035.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	251786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0036.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	251787  

Name:	IMG-0037.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	251788  
Old 23-01-2022, 09:53   #6

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We installed one on our Bristol 29.9. Not sure if you subscribe, but I wrote an article about it with the details for Good Old Boat that was published last year and I know you can get back issues.

Long story short, we ended up cutting our anchor locker lid in half horizontally and installed the windlass on the front half of the lid with G10 as a backing plate. We epoxied that half of the lid down and bolstered it with screws around the perimeter. We can still access the rode and the windlass by lifting the bottom half of the lid.

We’ve had zero issues with it in 3 years of full-time cruising. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.
Old 23-01-2022, 10:01   #7

Thank you so much for the reminder about GOB!

I have a bunch of their magazines, and intended to subscribe. I have heard about people adding a windlass to their anchor locker lid. I'm glad it worked for you.

I'm heading to their site right now and get the edition your story appears in.👍

Thanks again

Steve
Old 23-01-2022, 10:04   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Steve,
The pics help, thanks.

Couple of questions:
1. How much chain do you have or are you planning to add?

2. Are you planning to add a bow roller? This would greatly help you retrieve the anchor rode and also help deploy your anchor easier. With a anchor roller, you may find you do not need the windlass or possibly just for the last few feet.

3. Have you considered a manual windlass (e.g. Seatiger 555) instead of an electric?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 10:15   #9

Hi Bill.

I have 40 feet of chain at present, and am considering going to an all-chain setup. I do have a bow roller, though it really needs an upgrade. Thank you for reminding me of that!
I really want to go with an electric as I'm getting on a bit, and everything hurts a bit more now! Primarily though, its about being able to safely re-anchor in the middle of the night while solo sailing.

Thanks

Steve
Old 23-01-2022, 10:21   #10

And thank you for the drawings! I missed them the first time I read your post. Mounting behind may work well here. My anchor locker is quite deep, and I could add a slider for the chain fairly easily.
Thanks again!
Steve
Old 23-01-2022, 10:24   #11

That reply is for Cheechako. I do have some trouble with the interface on this site. My problem, not the site's
Steve
Old 23-01-2022, 10:40   #12

You're in Saanich. There are many boat repair places in Sidney, Canoe Cove.

You might want to check with any of them for fiberglass work. Blackline comes to mind.

Your situation/anchor locker is much like the ones on Catalina 30s and my C34. Many of our skippers have added windlasses to their boats.

Look here and scroll down to the Windlass section:

https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title...ng_%26_Docking
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 10:42   #13

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwon View Post
Thank you so much for the reminder about GOB!

I have a bunch of their magazines, and intended to subscribe. I have heard about people adding a windlass to their anchor locker lid. I'm glad it worked for you.

I'm heading to their site right now and get the edition your story appears in.👍

Thanks again

Steve
You’re very welcome. I looked through my Kindle app and it’s in the May/June 2021 magazine.
Old 23-01-2022, 10:45   #14

Echoing Cheechako: Yes, pics will help us to help you.

The Newport 30 is not significantly different from TrentePieds, although perhaps 1,500 lbs lighter. And since we cruise the same waters, I thought you might like to know that while TP has a capstan, I really only ever use it for stowing my rode. And here is the reason:

My bower is a 33 lb galvanized original Bruce. Some people disparage the Bruce because "modern" anchors are allegedly "better". For my kinda cruising it is quite adequate, and that has to do with the fact that the Salish Sea is really only a big bathtub where the weather is usually benign. And when it is not, you are never more than about two hours from actual shelter. One of the places where the swell occasional can be bothersome is Centre Bay on Gambier because it is exposed to a 40 mile long fetch with the swell running straight into the bay for a funnel effect. But that's a rarity in the Salish Sea.

My rode is 7 fathoms of 5/16" chain and 35 fathoms of 3/4" 3-strand nylon. In all the common anchorages in the Gulf Islands that permits a scope of 7 even on a 16 foot rise of tide.

It is not, IMO, good practice to warp the boat forward using the capstan/windlass. No need to put such strain on the electrical system. I come forward slowly on the engine until I'm "up'n'down", taking in the rode hand over hand as it slackens. I leave the rode lying on deck while I'm doing this. Even at the age 82 I have no difficulty hauling up the anchor by main might once I'm "up'n'down". I then stop the anchor in its chocks using a "devil's claw".

A bucket of water will wash the rode before it goes in the locker. The locker drains through a scupper about 3" above the water line but below the grid in the bottom of the locker upon which the lode lies.

My Capstan is a Lofran's X1. It, like much modern yacht equipment, is a manifestation of the marketing principle that "pretty" beats "useful". Its principal failing is that the spurling pipe is too small in diameter to let the rope-to-chain splice pass through easily. It always has to be "helped". Once the splice is through the spurling, the rest of the rope will usually stow by running the capstan, but not always. The few feet of rope twixt the spurling and the pile in the locker simply doesn't have enuff weight to pull the remaining rope through the spurling. Help is then required. Once we are onto the chain part of the rode, it stows properly.

So given that the capstan always needs help from me, or at least supervision, I might as well not have it!

You might also like to know that TP will not lie still head to wind, and I dare say that your boat won't either. All "modern" boats (fin-keeled sloops and cutters) with roller furling headsails will "hunt", which is a pain for other people in a crowded anchorage. Therefore, once my hook has set, I take the rode aft outside the shrouds and belay it on a sheet winch. TP will then slew around and lie perfectly still and windrode, quarter to the wind. Such techniques are perfectly viable in the Salish Sea because the conditions there are, at least in the summer cruising season, so very benign.

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 13:07   #15

Thanks Stu. I've used a few businesses in the area. Very skilled staff, and they charge handsomely for their work

And thanks for the links!

Also, is there a way to reply so that it appears directly under the person I'm replying to? Or do all replies simply go to the bottom of the thread?

Steve

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, wind, windlass