Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 20:22   #31

Boat: Newport 30
Re: Add a Windlass to a 30 foot sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
We have a Lofrans Royal manual windlass on our 31' sailboat. We rarely need to use it. It's there for the rare times we need to anchor in deep water. 90' of 5/16 chain and a 25# anchor is too much for us to muscle on board.

It takes little effort to crank, though it does require a tailer to feed the chain into the hawse pipe. Not the ideal set up, but we could not position the windlass directly over the hawse pipe.

Drilling the deck and installing the backing plate was simple. We drilled near the bow cleats so the deck there was not cored. We used acorn nuts with rubbber caps below to avoid whacking our heads on them (we sleep in the v-berth).

As our boat is a cutter with a boom-footed staysail, the windlass is out of the way under that small boom and not really a problem when using the foredeck.

You had mentioned switching to all chain. We considered this, but have since learned that we very rarely need to let out 200 feet of rode. In fact, our chain is spliced into 150' of 3-strand nylon - ideal snubbing material. So, unless we're in very shallow water or have limited swing room, we let out all the chain plus 20 or more feet of the nylon. Makes the system self-snubbing and eliminates the need for snubbers and a chain hook in heavy weather.

Cheers

Thanks Jen and Terry.
I agree with you that I may be being overly cautious here with my all chain rode idea. As TrentPieds has noted, Gulf Island anchorage is normally pretty benign.

That's another reason I enjoy this forum!

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 20:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I see you have rope rode now... I have a 41 foot boat and added 125ft of chain and windlass. My bow sat almost 3 inches lower!!

If you switch to all chain and add a windlass and battery up forward you will find the boat floats significantly bow down and sailing performance noticeably different.

Consider that you may need to either have the rigging adjusted to put rake back in the mast which you just removed, or add a few hundred pounds in the stern, which is what I did in way of solar arch, 530W of solar panels and an added 25gal. aux fuel tank.

Agreed. Thanks! As the Newport is such a light displacement boat (8500 pounds), balance is really important. My mind is slowly being changed about all chain rodes!

Steve
Old 26-01-2022, 20:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Your set up is a lot like my Oday 34. The anchor locker is so shallow the chain would pile up quickly and I didn’t want to intrude into the v-berth below. To simplify matters I used a Loftans manual windlass. There was no wiring to worry about or any protrusions into the v-berth. I’ll crank the windlass about five times and then throw the chain into the locker. It works well for me in the lofrans windlass has lots of power.

Hi Quadrille. I don't think I've ever seen an actual manual windlass before! How long does it take to retrieve say 100 feet of rode?
Newport built a deep and large anchor locker, so I'm not restricted as much as you are, but the thought of an effective manual windlass is intriguing.

Steve
Old 26-01-2022, 20:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Yes, Qualdrille, we do have a somewhat similar set up to your foredeck.

Our windlass can be operator without a tailer if we do it like you do: 5 cranks, feed the chain in the hawse pipe, repeat.

The little windlass is plenty powerful. Low mainentance. No wiring. Easy to install.

Cheers

I honestly had no idea that manual windlasses were a 'thing'! Thank you!

Steve
Old 26-01-2022, 20:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Westwon said: "My big concern as I range further by myself is that I want to ease the process of*emergency*retrieval during a re-anchoring event."

If I may offer a further comment:

In a Newport 30 you are not likely to be going much beyond Jordan River in the Straits of Juan deFuca or Port Hardy at the top of the Island, although you obviously could if you insist :-)

My own experience as a single-handing Sunday sailor is that anchoring never gets problematic where I sail unless, in places such as the approaches to Nanaimo, you happen to snag some abandoned sunken gear. If that happens, your capstan/windlass will probably not be man enough to haul it up, so you wind up calling on Mr. Armstrong anyway. There are lots of techniques for dealing with such a mishap, but using the capstan isn't one of them. We can talk more about that if you like.

For now, I thot I'd tell you that there is wisdom in having a “scotsman” aboard so that if things get dicey in your anchorage, you can skive off to sea where it is safe after having marked and slipped your rode. Then, when things settle down, you can come back, find your scotsman, and retrieve your expensive ground tackle.

Obviously you cannot carry a scotsman of the size the fishermen use around here, but that isn't necessary. A big fender will do, because all it has to carry is the weight of 30 feet or so of 3/8" 3 strand nylon, and that ain't much. The rest of the rode will be lying on the bottom.

One of the anchorages you might like to make note of is Codfish Cove on the east side of Lasqueti Island. Long and narrow and well protected. Convention there is to take a line ashore at the very top end of the cove because there really isn't room for the boat to swing on the tide changes. In Pirates' Cove on DeCoursey Island there are rings set into the cliff wall on the eastern side so boats can belay their stern lines there. It is for eventualities like that that you see so many cruisers with a reel of webbing mounted on the “pushpit”. I don't have one, but I consider it a wonderful piece of gear to have. 300 feet of webbing on a reel is luvverly, but you can, as I do, get away with 300 feet of 3 strand stowed in a bucket in a cockpit locker.

In my early sailing days coming to anchor, and weighing, under sail was normal practice. But there were fewer boats then, and consequently more room in anchorages. I think that these days doing so amounts to no more than showmanship. A reliable engine is the way to go. And if you ever DO have to abandon an anchorage under stress of weather, there really isn't any other satisfactory way to go.

Cheers

TP

Thank you for your thoughts TrentPieds. Sorry for the late reply. Crazy few days here. On a friend's boat, we snagged our anchor in Clam Bay a few years ago. Not a fun experience. And you are correct, anchorages are getting very full lately, and there's some 'interesting' anchoring techniques out there!

Steve
Old 27-01-2022, 08:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwon View Post
Thanks Cheechako.

I really like the idea of a PVC pipe from the aft of anchor locker mounted windlass to the anchor locker. Hadn't thought of that!

Steve
It can be a bit hard to find just short chunk of larger PVC. Do not go too small, I'd want 4" or more. Chain will stack up and jam in anything of marginal size. Sometimes the wood "chute" is easier to make and have some sort of flanged ends for fastening. Looks good when done also.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 13:25   #37

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Hi Quadrille. I don't think I've ever seen an actual manual windlass before! How long does it take to retrieve say 100 feet of rode?
Newport built a deep and large anchor locker, so I'm not restricted as much as you are, but the thought of an effective manual windlass is intriguing.

Steve
It probably takes about 10 minutes of easy cranking with the lever. But… as someone else said , many times you can just bring in the rode by hand and use the windlass to pick up the last of the chain and heavy anchor.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 15:34   #38

Quote:

Steve
Figure less than 1 ft for each complete cycle. Or ~6" for a half stroke. For 100ft of chain you are doing 200 or more strokes.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:22   #39

Quote:
Hello all.
I want to add a windlass to my Newport 30. While I have some fiberglass experience, completing a structural addition is out of my league. I'm fine with the electrical/control system installation.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Should I attempt it myself? Or should I bring in a pro. My boat is in Saanich, BC. Does anyone know a pro in the area?

Thanks

Steve
Go to YouTube and search for AtomVoyager. James has a video on installing a manual windlass. It isn’t that tough if you understand the load involved and the deck construction.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 10:08   #40

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:

Steve
Get a electric windlass and a up down switch in the cockpit. You will not regret it.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 11:43   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 343, 34 ft

Quote:
Hello all.
I want to add a windlass to my Newport 30. While I have some fiberglass experience, completing a structural addition is out of my league. I'm fine with the electrical/control system installation.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Should I attempt it myself? Or should I bring in a pro. My boat is in Saanich, BC. Does anyone know a pro in the area?

Thanks

Steve
Had a 1987 Newport 30-III that I sold in 2006. Installed a Sprint 600 Windlass just aft of the anchor locker lid. Cant find a picture. I seem to recall adequate space aft of the locker lid to install the vertical shaft windlass in the locker, tight to the bulkhead. I had to cut a hole or slot in the deck for the rode to drop through and also modified the lid to open and close around the forward portion of the windlass.
Mounted the relay just above the battery locker in a cubbyhole on the starboard side and routed heavy gage cable forward to the windlass. Mounted a switch in the cockpit I could reach from the helm. Bought a spliced chain/rope rode to connect to my existing anchor.

Worked well for the short time I had it before selling the boat.

It was a safety issue for me, since I typically anchored in about 12 feet of water in the shallows in the river. Used the windlass to raise the anchor while motoring to deeper water.

Had some issues with the chain piling up in the locker.

Sorry no pictures.

Joe
mihelichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 13:13   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 343, 34 ft

My previous reply stated I installed a Sprint 600 Windlass in my Newport 30-III. I double checked and found it was a Plastimo Quick 600.
Not sure why all the drawings and brochures in my old files are for the Sprint 600.

Joe
mihelichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 14:24   #43

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I did exactly this project on my Caliber 33. Had to get rid of the floor of the shallow anchor locker so there was enough fall for the chain to pile up properly. It is not a good idea to put a battery up by the windlass and it isnt necessary on a boat that size. Far better to simply overspec the leads so there is minimal voltage drop to the batteries aft. I never had a problem with it set up that way.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 04:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
It probably takes about 10 minutes of easy cranking with the lever. But… as someone else said , many times you can just bring in the rode by hand and use the windlass to pick up the last of the chain and heavy anchor.

Thanks Quadrille

Steve
Old 29-01-2022, 04:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Figure less than 1 ft for each complete cycle. Or ~6" for a half stroke. For 100ft of chain you are doing 200 or more strokes.

Yikes! Well, I guess any exercise is good

Steve

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, wind, windlass