Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 15:23   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 43
ACCIDENTLY WATER FILLED INTO DIESEL TANK

We accidently filled up our 1500L capacity of our diesel tank with about 200L water . What is the possible way to get rid of this amount of water from the tank with minimum lost of diesel?

Note: Tank can not be taken out of the boat.
BeeDriLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ACCIDENTLY WATER FILLED INTO DIESEL TANK

Where are you located?
Are you in a major boating area? Remote?

My first thought is to hire a professional "Fuel Polishing" service to come to your boat, where they can use their pumps, filters, and containers to remove the water and "polish" the fuel. Returning the fuel to your boat. These services exist in most major harbor areas (Fort Lauderdale, etc.). They do charge.

I have also read in the past that a boater did a DIY job, using electric pumps, hoses, filters, and some empty 55 gallon drums on the dock.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:59   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDriLL View Post
We accidently filled up our 1500L capacity of our diesel tank with about 200L water . What is the possible way to get rid of this amount of water from the tank with minimum lost of diesel?

Note: Tank can not be taken out of the boat.
Depends a lot on the design of your tanks but of course the water is sitting on the bottom of the tank. You have to find a way to get to the water.

This is why I like sump drains on tanks - gravity will do the work

Otherwise start pumping for the pickup tube until fuel starts coming out but you still got to get the last of the water out...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 16:06   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I agree with Steady Hand. Fastest way is to stick a suction pipe down to the bottom of the tank and suck up the water from the bottom and discharge into a 55 gal drum. When you hit fuel take out 5-10 gals fuel which will probably have some water/fuel mixed. After that you can choose to pump out all the fuel into drums and decant, lots of work or leave the rest in the tank and dip the tank with a stick with water indicating paste and see whats left of the water. If very little water it's your call if you think the filters /water separators will catch the remaining water.
I hope this was fresh water that got in by accident. If salt water I would do the same procedure but pump the tank empty and muck it out as best as possible. Bad break to happen but at least you caught it before any real damage occurred.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 16:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I fear this sort of thing is best fixed with a checkbook... sorry. Fuel companies do this all the time.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 16:33   #6

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

It all depends on your fuel tank design.

If you have a drain valve at the lowest point of your tank, its a very simple process to drain off the water. Gravity separates it for you.

If you only have fittings on the top of your tank (and have access) remove on on the side of the tank. Insert a hose trying to reach the bottom corner of the tank and begin pumping. Even better - rearrange weight on the boat to make this corner of the tank the lowest point.
Doing this should remove 99.9% of the water unless some is trapped behind baffles. Rock the boat, and repeat to be sure. Use water separator filters to remove the rest.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 17:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your lucky, fuel in the water tank is worse. Years later my Brothers water still stank of fuel and we wouldn't drink it.
But yes call a pro or try to get it out yourself, your not the first I assure you, likely a local Marina will know exactly who to call.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 17:18   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

That was how you got fuel from all the old WW II closed military base underground fuel tanks. You pump in a bunch of water and pump off the fuel.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 17:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I can't think of a marina that would allow you to do that at their docks.
The liability is way too high.
Old 12-05-2017, 18:23   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I can't think of a marina that would allow you to do that at their docks.
The liability is way too high.

I think it depends on where you are, in the Panhandle of Fl, I have never seen fuel polished anywhere but in the boats home slip.
Another pretty common mistake is misfueling, that is of course Diesel in gas or vice versa, of course that has to be pumped too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 18:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

A side note .... ABYC requires all metallic components of even diesel fuel systems (basically the fuel fill fitting, fuel tank and engine) to be to be bonded due to the frequency of gasoline being put in diesel fuel tanks.
Old 12-05-2017, 18:49   #12
sb1

Boat: Simpson Inspiration 10.5m

I can speak from experience. Just get a clear hose to the bottom of the tank and pump out until there is an obvious change in colour. Then take a little more out. If you have any doubts after that, empty your primary fuel filter of any water, and then remove the fuel line to your engine and draw fuel into a bucket, keeping an eye on the filter to see whether any more water falls in to the clear base. If not, you're done.
sb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 19:40   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your lucky, fuel in the water tank is worse. Years later my Brothers water still stank of fuel and we wouldn't drink it.
But yes call a pro or try to get it out yourself, your not the first I assure you, likely a local Marina will know exactly who to call.
True, diesel in water is much worse...never get that out. Water in diesel...much easier.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 00:54   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 43

Thanks for all advises.
There are 4 tanks total volume 1500L all diesel come to a column which has a drain at the bottom.. I mean lower than bottom level of all tanks..In my system diesel go in to column from the bottom and get out from top to pass 2 Fram diesel filters has drain valves at the bottom and pumped up to day tank by diesel pump on the engine and go down by gravity pass thcrough a fine diesel filter to injector pump.....There is a observation glass at the side of column when i observe some water i drain it . 2 diesel filters which has water drain valve at the bottom... Normally they suppose to capture small amounts of water in diesel.Now I have almost 50/50 mixed diesel with water .I can see water from observation glass tube on the diesel column.... What about I drained water from column until i see no water in the observation glass tube.. Is this enough or I need additional filtration and water saperation.
BeeDriLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 02:34   #15

We've had to remove water from tanks twice. First drain or pump out the water from under the diesel. I made the boat heel over by pulling the spinnaker halyard attached to the dock to create a low corner in the tank. A little water remaining there is not dangerous in the short term, as the fuel gets taken out to the engine a little above bottom level in a properly constructed tank. Next add a biocide like Grotamar71 to the diesel to prevent any filter clogging. And add a water dispersant to take take care of any remaining water. Hope this helps...
Jeroen K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, diesel, water