Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 21:30   #31

Re: About Painting My Soggy Deck Black

If the rot is dried out, it would adsorb epoxy like a sponge and the deck would be solid. As mentions already, each situation would determine the method.

Also, if one had a teak deck with a rotten core, more laborious method of core replacement is required. I used a hole saw from below, dug out and replaced wet compost, replaced with chunks of balsa, epoxied disks of fiberglass back in holes after letting core dry. Then from above deck, filled core with epoxy through drilled out screw holes. Worked OK but it was a chore.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 04:34   #32

It's mostly basic carpentry with some resin.. Don't be intimidated.

I've noticed people(and myself in the past) will go to great lengths to avoid re-coring.

So ask yourself honestly which is more difficult?

1. Drilling 20 holes, injecting resin into them, getting resin everywhere, and in the end having it fail because resin is hard but brittle. There's a reason a coring is needed.

2. Buy one of these.

Best case scenario. cut the outer skin, remove we rotted core(probably just come right out) Do you best to level the remaining core(if any), Cut wood and lay in the wood with resin, more resin on top and reinstall the top skin with some weight on it. Half day project at most.

Worst case. The outer skin is a mess or wont come out in one piece and the rotted core isn't that rotted so its hanging on for dear life. You could work your butt off trying to remove it but i'd buy some self leveling seacast ahead of time(i'd use this over ply anyway). Remove wet core, pour in self leveling seacast, have a beer while it cures, cover with a few layers of fiberglass, sand(itchy part) and then paint. Its not rocket science.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 07:17   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
.............. cover with a few layers of fiberglass, sand(itchy part) and then paint. Its not rocket science.
This is good advice here from MrWesson. I'll add something else about how to avoid the "itchy part". I always rely on some degree of protective covering when doing the cutting, grinding, or sanding of fiberglass and certainly a mask for breathing, but there's something else that can be done.

To avoid the itching skin irritation I lather myself with a lotion (I use Vasoline Intensive Care) and then shower right after the work. I'm careful with the clean up,- bagging the debris, vacuuming, putting my clothing in the wash. The coating with a skin lotion collects the fiberglass dust and allows it to be rinsed away in the shower. 'huge difference in comfort!
Old 18-05-2017, 07:30   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This is good advice here from MrWesson. I'll add something else about how to avoid the "itchy part". I always rely on some degree of protective covering when doing the cutting, grinding, or sanding of fiberglass and certainly a mask for breathing, but there's something else that can be done.

To avoid the itching skin irritation I lather myself with a lotion (I use Vasoline Intensive Care) and then shower right after the work. I'm careful with the clean up,- bagging the debris, vacuuming, putting my clothing in the wash. The coating with a skin lotion collects the fiberglass dust and allows it to be rinsed away in the shower. 'huge difference in comfort!
And make the shower as cold as you can stand so as not to open your pores.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint