Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 13:30   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: Able 34 teak decks and what is under them?

I saw that Peterson. Looked nice. There is also a Tayana 37 in SD that might be of interest to you - looks outfitted well.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 13:35   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Thanks lazerbrains... I see a 48 and 2 @ 55, but don't see the 37. I saw one of the 55's while down in the harbor... it has a football field size deck of teak that is as tired if not more tired than the Able's. What site do you see the 37 on?
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 13:52   #18

Thanks! I lived in Hawaii for 17 years . I have to tell you one thing! Sorry because it is $s . If the boat has been in Hi . more than two years. count on changing all the standing wire rigging. Hi has every day winds in the 18 t0 25 knot range for in excess of 200 days a year . point one-- Hawaii has uniform temps 15 to 20 deg F higher than US or Canadian -- Wire corrosion !!!! swagged fittings have a reliable life of in excess of 15 years in Vancouver and 2 years in Hawaii The fitting ls loaded even when tied up to the dock.. JUST BELIEVE IT.

Fiberglass mouldings in Polyester and vinyl ester are vulnerable to Ultra Violet degredation (Call it UV ROT) Waikiki has over 2000 hrs/year direct max strength UV one of highest in the world. Other places have more clouds.
Some Tests of typical FRP mouldings typical of decks and topsides show a reduction of physical properties of as much as 66% after exposure to 2000hrs/a year for ten years. Also Check for termites. Now the good news ! ---Well I will try and think of some!! --- Hawaii is fun The locals are great. Cheers
Michael
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 14:07   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemo View Post
Thanks lazerbrains... I see a 48 and 2 @ 55, but don't see the 37. I saw one of the 55's while down in the harbor... it has a football field size deck of teak that is as tired if not more tired than the Able's. What site do you see the 37 on?
Sent you a pm
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 14:12   #20

Thanks Michael,

While none of the boats we've discussed in this thread are from Hawaii (that I know of), I'll keep that very useful information handy. I should have bought the Island Packet I found the day it hit Craigslist on Lake Huron - always a fresh water boat for sale for literally 1/2 the price of a similar boat that was listed on the west coast. I missed that one by 24 hours as a local scooped it up just hours before I called the seller.

Since we have some dialogue going on this thread I'll share, if you care to try and follow the bouncing ball, that initially I was looking at a Prout Escale in Valdez Alaska. While I do want the traditional sailing experience, I would also give it up for stability for the 90% of my time that will be sent without sails up.

So, while I may now be an exposed schizophrenic in terms of what I boats I am considering... I'd love to hear anyone's take on a 2001 Prout 38. I've done tons of reading on Prouts and am aware of the deck slam and loading issues. Just curious what anyone one this thread has to say as they are really the only cats in my price range that have a history of passage making without having to refit the entire boat, like one would on a FP Tobago for instance. Most of this forum's cat threads are old. And am looking for fresh insights.

Thanks.
Old 15-09-2019, 14:25   #21

Boat: Pearson 367

I've seen that able ad on craigslist. Always thought it was way overpriced for its size and age. Like others have said it's been for sale for a long time with no reduction in price. I'd say it's highly unlikely that the deck is solid glass but no first hand experience with this boat.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 14:38   #22

I don't know what folks did prior the internet. These forums and other information available are invaluable.

from Practical Sailor:

The placement of the fuel tank also has caused substantial discussion on the part of owners. The standard 90-gallon, black iron tank is located under the V-berth in the forward cabin. When full, this tank holds almost 650 pounds of fuel. This is about the same weight as 375 feet of 3/8-inch anchor chain—a substantial amount to carry around in the bow of a 37-footer. A Tayana 37 with the bow tank full and a heavy load of ground tackle will show noticeable bow-down trim. The design was originally drawn with the fuel tanks under the settees, but the builder put the tank forward to create additional storage in the main cabin.

and

The Tayana 37 was built as a ketch or cutter, with wood spars or aluminum, with mast-stepped on deck or on the keel. Few builders have offered so many options. The standard rig is a masthead cutter with wooden spars; the mast is stepped on deck and supported by a substantial compression column. The designer strongly recommended the aluminum cutter rig, and we heartily concur. The wooden mast is poorly proportioned, with a massive section and extremely thick sidewalls. One mast we looked at had a large knot on the forward side of the mast just at spreader level. Despite the huge mast section, we feel the knot could weaken the mast significantly.

In contrast to the large section of the mast, the boom was an extremely small spruce box section. With mid-boom sheeting, this spar will probably bend like a rubber band, complicating mainsail shape.
Old 15-09-2019, 14:45   #23

This on equates to about +$3000 / year of age difference and definitely has the mast Perry recommended... I would assume the fuel tank location as well.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...ored%20listing

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck