Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 08:31   #1

Boat: Columbia sloop 40
80's Bluewater F/G or balsa core hull

Do the Bluewater cruising houseboat hulls of ~1980's
vintage have all fibreglass or fibreglass with a balsa core? These shallow draft boats in the 40-50 ft range are remarkably lightweight for their size. As now aging lifelong world-cruising sailors, we are looking for a comfortable, shallow draft old houseboat to cruise and live on in in the Bahamas, but do not want to sacrifice seaworthiness! We'd surely appreciate any input from other members.
🖐😎😊🖑
Carolyn Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 02:02   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: 80's Bluewater F/G or balsa core hull

Can you define a "Bluewater cruising houseboat"?

I know what "bluewater" means, I know what "cruising" means and I know what "houseboat" means. But when you say "Bluewater cruising houseboat" I get confused. (I don't think we have them in Australia?)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 04:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

^^Cooper, my guess is she's talking about one of those large, roomy, Out-island/Formosa/Island trader/ etc sorts that later in life often do become houseboats in essence, trundling cautiously across from Lake Worth to the Abacos to spend most of their time moored in Marsh Harbor. Boats that were designed to cross oceans, and possibly did, but are also eminently suited to a roomy, sedentary existence at a pretty affordable price. It's a version of my retirement dream.
The answer to the OP is: some had balsa cores and some did not. I'd be inclined to individually research each candidate. Can you say which makes/models you have in mind?
Old 26-12-2020, 04:51   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Phillip View Post
Do the Bluewater cruising houseboat hulls of ~1980's
vintage have all fibreglass or fibreglass with a balsa core? These shallow draft boats in the 40-50 ft range are remarkably lightweight for their size. As now aging lifelong world-cruising sailors, we are looking for a comfortable, shallow draft old houseboat to cruise and live on in in the Bahamas, but do not want to sacrifice seaworthiness! We'd surely appreciate any input from other members.
🖐😎😊🖑
I wouldn't/don’t think whether it is cored or not as does/doesn’t sacrifice anything really. For an 80s boat the only thing once you find one you like is what condition it is in NOW
Old 26-12-2020, 04:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See “Blue Water House Boats”
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-121581.html

“Bluewater Yachts” of Mora, Minnesota (suburb of Minneapolis), was a [house] boat builder (brand name, not a description).
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manuf...art-production

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 06:55   #6

Bluewater is the builder/manufacturer's name.
Old 26-12-2020, 08:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See “Blue Water House Boats”
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-121581.html

“Bluewater Yachts” of Mora, Minnesota (suburb of Minneapolis), was a [house] boat builder (brand name, not a description).
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manuf...art-production
Thank you Gordon for your help.
Coincidentally, I had a principal in Vancouver with your namesake, also an avid sailor.
Still in Bahs and looking for our houseboat, we are somewhat restricted in our search by the Pandemic and travel restrictions, and appreciate info on
relatively seaworthy, shallow draft houseboats in the 45-55 ft range.
Old 27-12-2020, 19:00   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

Based on the threads that Gord suggests, getting one of those "Bluewater" houseboats to the Bahamas on its own bottom could be a dangerous undertaking, even in nice weather. They do not appear to be seaworthy in any sense of the term. Mediocre construction, poor design, and high windage all sound like trouble waiting to happen. Moving it as deck cargo to someplace like Marsh Harbor might work, but would it still be floating after the first tropical storm? Would it be insurable? Something like a Morgan Out-Island 41 might be better built and less expensive to maintain long-term.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, core, hull, water