Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 22:14   #1

Boat: Fuji 45 MK II
$8000 bottom job…

Hi all, bought a 1977 45’ Fuji a year ago, just got it hauled out to have the bottom painted(unknown last time it was painted, was > 6 years ago.
Original quote was $3,600 for “ Prepare underwater body from keel to waterline with single pass abrasion to intact paint Roll 2 coats of Pettit Trinidad anti-fouling paint to underwater body from keel to waterline.”

Once we got the boat out of the water though the pressure washer took half the paint off down to the gel coat/existing barrier paint?, so here’s my new quote from them:

“Heavily abrade underwater body to remove existing anti fouling and prep for epoxy coatings. Apply 2 coats of epoxy barrier. Roll 2 coats of petite Trinidad anti fouling….”

This is the San Francisco Bay Area.

Doesn’t appear to be any blisters on the hull.

I know bottom jobs are expensive(prob especially in the bay area), but trying to figure out my best option. My plan is to cruise to Mexico in the next couple years.

I feel like I’m going to have to bight the bullet and just get it all done, but it’s hard to swallow $8,000 price tag. One persons opinion was to have them just put on 2 coats of paint, then have the whole job done in Mexico at half the price. Kinda like this idea.

I don’t mind paying money for a job well done, just don’t want to waist it either. Looking for thoughts, thanks…!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	707AB84A-0AFA-4EBC-AF04-731C617058B8.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	253247  
darc427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 23:00   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: $8000 bottom job…

What year is the boat? If it was pre-blister resin issue just bottom paint and put it back in the water. No need for barrier coat.

Option 2: Get it soda blasted down to gel coat/ previous barrier coat and bottom paint it. Might look better but won't affect performance.

There is no need to sand a smooth bottom that has had antifowl paint stuck to it before. If the paint blasted off, fine. If it peeled off then it needs sanding to give "tooth" for the new paint to stick.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 23:04   #3

thanks, boat was built in 1977 in Japan....
Old 20-02-2022, 02:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I wouldn't pay for barrier coat....if it's not delaminating yet, it's gonna be fine for a while, at least till you get it somewhere with cheaper labor. Have 'em sand off the loose stuff and roll on two coats of Petit and save the extra $4000 for later.
Old 20-02-2022, 09:32   #5

Boat: Tartan T4400

Darc427 Do you know the type of bottom paint that is currently on the boat? Taking all of the anti-fouling paint off is a good plan if you do not know what type is on it currently. Did the paint flake off or was it just thin and the pressure washer took it off? Is the barrier coat in good shape? You may not need a complete bottom job.
Old 20-02-2022, 09:38   #6

If no blisters, then I would pass on the epoxy undercoat for now.
Maybe next time you haulout you will want a premium job of removing all paint and epoxy coating and can get bids or do it in Mexico.

Bottom paint is a 1-2 year repetition, so it's not like you dont have the option to do it next time having gotten the best bids etc.

With no blisters it's very possible it was done years ago with a barrier coat that is working great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 10:07   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bottom paint is a 1-2 year repetition...
The OP is planning on applying Pettit Trinidad and that paint will provide 3+ years of good service.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 10:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The OP is planning on applying Pettit Trinidad and that paint will provide 3+ years of good service.
Yeah, he may get that west coast and mexico. Still, no panic on the barrier coat right now is the point.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 13:43   #9

I’m not sure what type of paint is currently on the bottom, I only know that it is at minimum 6 years old, and most likely much older than that. I’m not sure about the condition of the existing barrier coat(if there even is one), but there doesn’t appear to be any blisters.
I kinda wanna just do it all now and be done with it, but I don’t want to spend another 4K if I don’t have to. From everything I’ve read, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to but a barrier coat on the hull unless it’s completely dry(I guess they could take moisture readings though?).
I plan on keeping this boat for a long time ideally, so I want to take care of it, but don’t want to spend unnecessarily.
Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0554B37C-67E3-45A6-9885-4B273917B0C3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	253303   Click image for larger version

Name:	8076F284-8F0E-49AC-A2AB-905EF2779D9B.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	253304  

Old 20-02-2022, 17:56   #10

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I put 7 coats of 2 part epoxy barrier coat and 2 coats of the Trinidad before leaving to MX. Left in November and am in Cabo now. It’s looking pretty shinny. Minders a 1979. Every boat is different
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 20:33   #11

Looks like the Previous bottom paint was applied without proper proper surface preparation, and is coming off in chunks!
That requires complete removal, likely by wet abrasive blasting, thus the price increase.
I would definitely barrier coat, eliminating any possibility that the existing subsurface is causing the bottom paint to fail.
Think of the barrier coat as a super primer, sealing out water while providing a compatible base for bottom paint.
Putting off maintenance can prove even more costly in the long run, and Mexican boatyard workmanship is often substandard.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 22:49   #12

Boat: Baba 35

Just finished a haul out that we expected to be only 2 weeks, but to our horror was a 2 month refit, which included grinding and filling over 350 blisters, 14mils of barrier coat and Trinidad Pro. My suggestion is to take all that off and, wash it with acetone, wait 2 days and cross your fingers you dont see draining blisters or smell vinegar.

We got quotes approaching 10k for just the hull peel and filling, after excel'ing the hell out of the quotes and yard rates we went with doing it all ourselves and spending the money on yard time rather than labor.

Pro tip: If you suspect blisters ask the yard guys to powerwash it again, but this time to pull the regulator off washer and go to town with the PSI, you will thank your arms and shoulders when sanding.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 23:35   #13

Boat: Beneteau first 26

for that price is better to go with copper coat .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 00:08   #14

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Why dont you just wear a respirator and sand the paint off, then roll the paint on? I used a vacuum cleaner attached to a sander.

I would not bother to haul that boat at all. Better sail to mexico, and careen it there, then scrape the paint off and paint it. I use $60/gal paint you probably need a few gallons, so should be possible to do for about $180 total and be ready for pacific crossing arriving with completely clean bottom.

It cost me < $50 total to do my bottom job in indonesia and was fine all the way back to the usa, then did it again the same way in maine.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 00:19   #15

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

the trick to using cheaper bottom paint (made for ships, $30 for 5 liters in malaysia), is if you are not underway (making 6 knots) it won't prevent growth, so every 10 days or so, dive under the boat and wipe with a cloth.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote