Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 05:13   #1

65' Aluminum ketch 300 hours. Interior finishers cheap??

Relative newby looking at a 65' ketch that is unfinished.
Owner died and family estate is looking to sell it for scrap.
I am thinking about buying it for cheap.
Caterpillar engine plus generator.
Outside has new bottom paint only.
Inside is mostly bare metal.
No electronics.
Sails new.

I have never worked on a boat interior.
Are there people in other Central or south America that do interiors cheap???
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 05:19   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: 65' Aluminum ketch 300 hours. Interior finishers cheap??

How many years is your planning to finish the interior? I think you are in for a surprise in cost and in time. It is a really big boat and expensive to finish. Are you planning to sail it to Thailand and have it outfitted over there?
sailormed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 05:21   #3

No timeline planned, but probably 2 years max. Could sail to Thailand I guess. Would it be a lot cheaper there?
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Usual advice on the forum in similar situations starts with "You have no idea..." You might be the exception, but buying a "project" boat means spending bunches of time and money doing everything except sailing. I champion this advice, having spent twelve years building a steel trawler.
Old 18-06-2021, 06:41   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Year 5of my rebuild,when time permits ..⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:27   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

You don't mention where you are and where the boat is. Regardless, I would start by asking a few local boat builders. Bring some detailed information and ask for a quote as well as an estimated schedule. Be sure to find out how many people they will use, since the more people working on it will make it progress more quickly.

It would even be worth it to hire someone to give you a professional plan. Hiring someone would likely save you a lot of money in the long run. It will probably help you to decide if it is worth buying and if so, if it will bankrupt you financially and emotionally.

I wish you luck with what ever decision you make.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:31   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Beginning year 7 of my refit.

But we had an interior and all systems, although dated, worked. Another but... we lived aboard and did the refit at the same time - a very, very bad idea. Either clearing away living stuff to do refit or vice versa.

It can be done as long as it's approached just like a contracted job. Estimated hours, cost out materials, etc. And do not start 10 projects at once, I suggest 2. You can work on one while varnish drying on the other, and so on.

After all this time and all this money, I wouldn't recommend it. I wish I had spent the money up front on a boat in better condition. The plus side is that I have many, many new skills and I know every square inch of my boat.

Think hard is all I can say. Good luck.
Old 18-06-2021, 14:40   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter

The thing with doing a job like this in Latin America is you need to be on-site to supervise. If you know next to nothing about boat building how are you going to know if they are doing the job correctly? Not to knock Latin America but every worker you talk to will say they know how to do the job but a lot are learning as they go. They need the $$$ to survive and will never turn down a job.
Old 18-06-2021, 15:45   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Depending on it's stage of ready to sail, it could be worth $500k as is. A million when complete. You could give it a spartan race boat interior and just sail away, but big boats cost big money to maintain and insure. Do you have the budget and skills for that? The other option is to choose a shipyard to finish it, probably SE Aisa, finish it properly and then either sail it or sell it. Either way it's a big, long term investment that you don't know how to do. I'd say bring in someone who has extensive knowledge in boatbuilding as a consultant before getting involved.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:33   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Look at Antigua. Master woodworkers there. Boat interiors are a different animal.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:41   #11

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

There is no such thing as a cheap boat, you either pay for it when you by it or pay for it after,but pay for it you do , all quotes on prices and time should be at least doubled plus 10pc .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

So there was a boat down in St Marys that roughly fit this description. Nice looking boat. I forget the designer/builder but it was all top shelf. Reasonable water and air draft. Originally designed to haul cargo I think.

The exterior showed some signs of modifications to the systems. Only the roughest interior.

She was on the market for like 10 years and never moved. Price kept dropping. Someone else I knew tried to book a viewing and got a weird response from the broker, he was reluctant to show. I just looked and did not see her on YachtWorld.

So why would such a boat, virtually unused, go wanting?

Probably because when you do the estimate to complete you realize that the hull and engines represent well under 50% of the boats value. IF you have resources to hail and work on the boat for an extended time that is one story. But it you need to hire out storage and work space then the dollars start adding up quickly.

While you can work on a vessel while living aboard it ain’t easy. It t is dirty, and frustrating, hot and cold and often isolating. And fitting out a boat takes a rather high degree of professional skill in various very different disciplines.

Not that it can not be done, it can. It is just that only a very select few can take on such a project and find it gives back as much as it sucks out.

Ultimately the only one who can answer that question is you, what do you want to do with your life? Try reading Bull Canyon, it is about a couple who successfully built and then sailed their own wooden boat. That may give you some sense of the matter.

https://www.amazon.com/Bull-Canyon-B.../dp/1929214677

Now, let’s say there are boatyards in Guatemala or Columbia who can do this work. Is the boat ready for such a voyage? If not then what needs to be done here to make it so? And you will need a few crew to get her down. Crew who will be willing to make the voyage in an unfinished boat. Are you willing to live there and supervise the work for as long as it takes?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmn View Post
Relative newby looking at a 65' ketch that is unfinished.
Owner died and family estate is looking to sell it for scrap.
I am thinking about buying it for cheap.
Caterpillar engine plus generator.
Outside has new bottom paint only.
Inside is mostly bare metal.
No electronics.
Sails new.

I have never worked on a boat interior.
Are there people in other Central or south America that do interiors cheap???
What's your end game here? What would you do with a 65' ketch after you got it finished? This sounds like a great opportunity for someone that's totally into it (and I do mean totally) The fact that the interior is empty probably solves more problems than it creates. It'll be easy to wire and plumb and maybe even spray some foam insulation. For some odd reason a lot of people seem to have a hair up their butt to go to the Arctic or Antarctica and need an Aluminum boat. Don't ask me why - after two winters at the top of the Rocky Mountains, I much prefer the tiki bars and coconut trees. You say the boat has 300 hours on the engines (which is nothing) but we know it floats. As I'm sure you're aware, this will be a long project and you should first get the hull surveyed and then hire a Boat Architect to design the interior. There's one sure fire way to screw up a project like this and that is not to have a complete plan prior to starting. Every little change order can foul up a dozen other things either upstream or downstream in the project. You cannot just dream it up on the fly. Once you have your plan set, you should buy your electronics and head to the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. There are many skilled workers there (especially in woodworking) and a wide variety of woods to choose from that you'll not find elsewhere. Having electronics and mechanical parts shipped in can be challenging (which is why you should bring them with you) You should plan on being there at least two years - not to do the work, but to oversee the progress. And it's a hurricane hole with lots of new cruisers coming every year - so you know there's some decent bar and grills to be found. If you have the time and the money, I can think of a lot worse ways to spend two years.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:56   #14

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Could be one hell of a find. Finished aluminum 65 foot sailboat could be worth north of 1 1/2 million US bucks. Get some hard bids and solid contract and figure what your time supervising is worth or even hire a project engineer. You need to be present during the work or things will go bad. Probably SE Asia would be your best bet for the refit finish but not until things with Covid calm down and who knows how long that will be. Probably not a good idea to live aboard while having the work done. I should think this boat would have some real possibilities, cheaper than building from scratch. Need to figure out where it will be registered.
I love aluminum and you could really end up with something.
Good luck and fun dreaming and be careful.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 22:16   #15
Nearly an old salt

Id say budget about $500,000 to complete to a professional level

If you have that you could consider the project.

I also could be out by 2X !!

Tags
aluminum, cheap, interior, ketch