Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 19:11   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
43 ft Bottom Scrape/Epoxy job in Mexico?

Hi all
We are finishing off the jobs needed to get the boat out of the cold and down to Mexico (pacific side). You always hear stories about how cheap things are in Mexico so we are thinking of saving the our bottom job till we get there.
We need to strip about 5-8 layers of ablative, drain and fill any blisters (none showing now), epoxy coat and re paint.
The plan would be to strip it (or have someone do it), let it dry all summer on the hard and finish it in the fall.
Questions:
Where should we go to do this. So far research is telling me San Carlos. Any other opinions?
Anything we should take with us? Paint? Stripper? Epoxy? Can we get these things down in Mexico?
If we wanted a local to do the work do we trust the yard or rely on someone outside of the yard? I expect we would make sure the stripping was finished before we left for the summer.
Anyone done this? Tell me how it worked out. Basic costs (per foot?) would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: 43 ft Bottom Scrape/Epoxy job in Mexico?

Nobody has done this?
Really?
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31   #3

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Go to Marina Seca Guaymas.They have best rates in Mexico and and is possible to get good help through yard.You can do your own work,bring as much of materials as you can as some products expensive and hard to find.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
Hi all
We are finishing off the jobs needed to get the boat out of the cold and down to Mexico (pacific side). You always hear stories about how cheap things are in Mexico so we are thinking of saving the our bottom job till we get there.
We need to strip about 5-8 layers of ablative, drain and fill any blisters (none showing now), epoxy coat and re paint.
The plan would be to strip it (or have someone do it), let it dry all summer on the hard and finish it in the fall.
Questions:
Where should we go to do this. So far research is telling me San Carlos. Any other opinions?
Anything we should take with us? Paint? Stripper? Epoxy? Can we get these things down in Mexico?
If we wanted a local to do the work do we trust the yard or rely on someone outside of the yard? I expect we would make sure the stripping was finished before we left for the summer.
Anyone done this? Tell me how it worked out. Basic costs (per foot?) would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

Check your warranties. I doubt a Mexican yard will stand by their work or the products they use like a PNW yard will. You'd be better off getting it done here. I would consider a five year warranty the bare minimum for a bottom job. If they won't give you one, don't even consider it.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, Mexico