Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:34   #1

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI
41 OI Hull to Deck Repair

I'm working to repair an older style Morgan 41 OI hull to deck joint. On this model, hull #8, the hull to deck is at the rub rail. It's fastened with stainless steel screws about every 6 inches. The two pieces(hull & deck) look to have something brittle sandwiched between them; I assume it's polyester resin? Anway in the filler has broken away and is the source of signficant leaking. Any suggestions for the repair? Thanks, Rob S/V Watermelon
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 13:08   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor
Re: 41 OI Hull to Deck Repair

I also have a Morgan, but have not had this issue yet. I have seen the material your referring to during other projects and expect to have to. I believe I will probably use a quality polyurethane sealant, cleaning and ruffing the surfaces being most critical. I hope someone will post that has actually made this repair and might have a better fix.
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:37   #3

Watermelon.
How's you're bulkheads? Rotten? I'm in the middle of refitting my O/I and the hull/deck joint been fixed. I took the old rub rail off and glassed the joint on the outside an reinforced the joint with stainless steel rivets. Took all the old mastic and epoxy off the joint from the inside and used a round wire brush on my drill and cleaned in really good ( paint needs to go too) Cleaned it with acetone and used a few tubes of 3M's 5200 between the joint. Don't use to much -it will sag. But if uou do some sections at the time you'll have time to check on it over a period of a few hours. Takes a few days to cure and sometimes it's better to let it sit and get a little harder and keep pressing if in the joint. If you do a good prep work -5200 is considered permanent repair.
Some oc my bulkheads were rotten from all the leaks from the joints and the rubber gasket portholes. I did replace most of those. Did cut my headliner out too- but that's a different story. Good luck
svensk viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 19:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I removed my rub-rail on my 413 '73; cleaned the joint with a rotary wire brush; filled seam with G-flex epoxy and reattached the rub rail with more of the G-flex.

Old 29-12-2013, 05:05   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

That came out really nice.

Tags
deck, hull, morgan