We have a pape SteelMaid, 44' LOD hat was flame coated with aluminum
I Cornwall by the first owner during the hull
build. Almost no teak
trim, just to top the gunals, and they were capped wit SS angle before the teak
was screwed down.
She is a 1985ish boat
that has crossed the Atlantic three times and been from Venezuela
I can see two places where someone did some replacing, both times under a persistent leak. None was a drip from the fridge condenser and the other was the forward head
It's the same story with our 33' Brewer, a persistent leak from the radar
pole to an inaccessible area caused me to do some small amount of replacing last year. Unfortunately one area was under the permanently mounted fuel tank
that had to come out in five pound hunks.
This boat had been sprayed with foam. In the problem areas water
eventually wicked under the foam creating a light rust. It was sporadic. But it had to come out, and where it was tightly adhered it was a real bugger to get the hard skin off the steel
. Many hours of contortion under the cockpit
We also blasted the bottom and repainted with Ameron 302 over coated with Bar Rust and then ABC3. I made several mistakes
in this process and will now be doing a lot of rework to correct the issues.
I found it hard to get good advice on some important steps in the painting process. In fact I got some downright bad advice at times. It's going to be expensive, not so much in terms of money
but in labor. It's been a steep learning
On both boats I have welded up hull
penetrations (bolted connections) and instead weld to the deck
. Unfortunately the damn insurance
inspectors have forced me to install some additional vent lines where I had to drill the hull. Blast them all!
I'm greatful for this thread and showing how a resourceful owner can get a job done right.