Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 12:49   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: 25 ft wooden boat reconstruction

Beautiful. Epoxy or poly? Details on propulsion?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:43   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zloitapok View Post
Thanks, 50% turpentine and 50% linseed oil

Next time I will build from scratch.
Probably easier.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:01   #18

Boat: 25ft wooden boat
Send a message via Skype™ to zloitapok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Beautiful. Epoxy or poly? Details on propulsion?
Epoxy resin used.
As for propulsion:
I decided to use an electric motor because I wanted a stationary drive installation, but there are too narrow engine compartment to conveniently service the ICE engine.
I do not like the installation of the outboard motor in the well.
Electric motor is small enough to set it into engine compartment and, I beleive, forget about engine service. At last navigation I don't have problems with motor.
Motor nominal power 3 kW, case is waterproof, weight is 7 kg (15 lbs)
You can find motor detailed specs by link https://goldenmotor.com/
please find there HPM3000 motor.

As for batteries: I have two identical batteries, assembled from elements by my order in the e-kross workshop (Ukrainian company, that specialize in electric transport). Each battery have a nominal voltage 48V, 75Ah capacity.
I ordered two batteries for reliability, but so far I had no problems with any of them. Batteries linked in parallel. Each have own BMS with display that show voltage at every cell, temperature of battery, supplied (or charging) power. BMS shot down the battery if any of it sensor (temperature, current, voltage at each bank) show values beyond the norm. Battery case is waterproof for few meter of depth. In case of water closes the battery contacts, BMS will shot down the battery until hand reset done. Battery elements chemistry is Lithium Polymer, it is dangerous if used without BMS.
One battery weight 25 kg (33 lbs) and contain 3,5 kWh of energy.
I have installed both batteries near the keel.

Contoller is Kelly
KLS6022H,24V-60V,220A,Sealed sinusoidal wave BLDC motor controll - Kelly Controls, LLC

Few checks made for speed and range:

max speed at electric drive is my boat hull speed (6 knots)
at 3.5-4 knots speed range was 32 miles

Avarage speed against 12-15 m/s wind as at video above is 3.5 knots at 2/3 of power.

Next navigation I will have a genset.
zloitapok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Probably easier.
I need to say experience that I received during the reconstruction is priceless for me. I don't want to repeat same way, but I am grateful that I learned so much during reconstruction.
Old 12-02-2018, 15:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zloitapok View Post
Epoxy resin used.
As for propulsion:
I decided to use an electric motor because I wanted a stationary drive installation, but there are too narrow engine compartment to conveniently service the ICE engine.
I do not like the installation of the outboard motor in the well.
Electric motor is small enough to set it into engine compartment and, I beleive, forget about engine service. At last navigation I don't have problems with motor.
Motor nominal power 3 kW, case is waterproof, weight is 7 kg (15 lbs)
You can find motor detailed specs by link https://goldenmotor.com/
please find there HPM3000 motor.

As for batteries: I have two identical batteries, assembled from elements by my order in the e-kross workshop (Ukrainian company, that specialize in electric transport). Each battery have a nominal voltage 48V, 75Ah capacity.
I ordered two batteries for reliability, but so far I had no problems with any of them. Batteries linked in parallel. Each have own BMS with display that show voltage at every cell, temperature of battery, supplied (or charging) power. BMS shot down the battery if any of it sensor (temperature, current, voltage at each bank) show values beyond the norm. Battery case is waterproof for few meter of depth. In case of water closes the battery contacts, BMS will shot down the battery until hand reset done. Battery elements chemistry is Lithium Polymer, it is dangerous if used without BMS.
One battery weight 25 kg (33 lbs) and contain 3,5 kWh of energy.
I have installed both batteries near the keel.

Contoller is Kelly
KLS6022H,24V-60V,220A,Sealed sinusoidal wave BLDC motor controll - Kelly Controls, LLC

Few checks made for speed and range:

max speed at electric drive is my boat hull speed (6 knots)
at 3.5-4 knots speed range was 32 miles

Avarage speed against 12-15 m/s wind as at video above is 3.5 knots at 2/3 of power.

Next navigation I will have a genset.
Thanks.

Certainly looks like a first class job all around.

At least at first blush, the propulsion seems to represent a real challenge to IC (internal combustion) engines, from all considerations other than the recharging source and all those amps running around in that environment.

With these specs (not implying this is the motor you have, but just as a reference to a more mid-sized engine/motor comparison)

• Motor Power: 21HP / 16kW cont., 47HP/35kW peak @ 5500 RPM, voltage dependent
  • Motor Torque: 27 ft-lbs cont., 66 ft-lbs. peak @ 132V pack voltage
  • Motor weight: ~35lbs.
  • This package includes 5 parts: liquid-cooled motor, motor controller, cool (or called a chill) plate for controller, (so controller will be liquid-cooled as well), the required contactor and connector for the motor controller.
at 3550.00 USD

EVDrive » EVD Motor/Controller Packages

it would seem that a standard diesel or gas inboard or outboard, would have some serious competition.

Now, if all aspects were produced using 'cradle to grave' renewable energy (mining construction materials, processing materials, construction, transport, battery disposal/renewal, etc.), and the battery charging were solar/wind/reverse cycle, I'd say the IC engines had lost the game, and were on their way out, sooner rather than later.

But, reality being what it is, we're still several years from that...

Still, we have to start somewhere, and more importantly from a personal perspective, the system meets your requirements; kudos are in order for a well done job...
Old 12-02-2018, 15:55   #21

Boat: Nauticat 32

Nice work!
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:24   #22

Thanks.

As for money I spent to my electric drive:
1. motor - $300
2. controller, controls, wires and contactor - $250
3. batteries - $2200

Total $2750.
Old 13-02-2018, 07:17   #23

Thanks.

As for money I spent to my electric drive:
1. motor - $300
2. controller, controls, wires and contactor - $250
3. batteries - $2200

Total $2750.

I made a calculation of the components of the system and wired it by myself. It is not very difficult and saved some money.
Old 14-02-2018, 05:32   #24

To chase the IC engine comparison a bit further, have you calculated an estimated life span of the batteries at your expected usage profile?

Just for grins, trying to get a handle on relating your battery/charging costs to fuel cost for, say, an 8 hp outboard...
Old 14-02-2018, 06:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
To chase the IC engine comparison a bit further, have you calculated an estimated life span of the batteries at your expected usage profile?

Just for grins, trying to get a handle on relating your battery/charging costs to fuel cost for, say, an 8 hp outboard...
Battery have this cells:

Cells datasheet link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcgrtiq263...20spe.pdf?dl=0

quote: "After 2000 cycles, the discharge capacity retention ratio should be no less than 80% of the nominal capacity."
Old 14-02-2018, 07:08   #26

The capacity will decrease in the parabola, but, to make calculations easier, suppose it is linearly. So, average capacity for first 2000 cycles is 90%. If you do not agree with this, please write why.

At initial capacity (100%) I have 8 hrs of motoring at 4 knots speed for one charge.
90% capicity is 7.2 hrs of motoring.

Also let's consider DOD. At same datasheet I see that 2000 cycles is guaranteed if cells discarged by 80% max. So, considering this, we have only a 5.76 hrs of motoring to achive battery max lifespan.

We got a 5.72 hrs * 2000 cycles = 11 520 motoring hrs or 46 080 miles (as speed is 4 knots).
I do not think that it makes sense to use cells for more than 2000 cycles (as the drop in capacity occurs in the parabola).

We got cost of batteries per one hour of motoring $0.2 (batteries cost is $2200)
This is ideal numbers, I don't think I will always use batteries in max lifespan way.
Work in strong winds and high waves will decrease the speed. I don't know a way to calculate this exactly.

I know that same cells used in another electric projects for 2+ years and have no issues if used properly.

I do not tried to achive any savings using electric drive compared to gas outboard for my boat

Under capacity drop in parabola I mean that speed of drop will increase with number of cycles done. Slow at the beginning, increased at the end of mentioned number of cycles.
Old 14-02-2018, 08:28   #27

Sorry,
I have a little typo:

So, considering this, we have only a 5.76 hrs of motoring to achive battery max lifespan.

We got a 5.72 hrs * 2000 cycles = 11 520 motoring hrs or 46 080 miles (as speed is 4 knots).

5.76 is a correct value, in result all calculations below is wrong, but difference is not large
Old 14-02-2018, 10:37   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Not much energy storage.

At full power (safe maximum not undue wear & tear) I'd be curious what the average/total AH consumption is, over say 30 minutes.

Generator?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Not much energy storage.

At full power (safe maximum not undue wear & tear) I'd be curious what the average/total AH consumption is, over say 30 minutes.

Generator?
Any tests can be done when boat launched after winter. At my region we launch usually at late April - early May.

I plan to install gas gen
Old 23-02-2018, 07:46   #30

Winter - time to make some changes.

I did not like the decision with the roof of the cabin:

I can not step on the solar panel and the hatch beneath it also sagged from my weight. also I was not satisfied with the height in the cabin. So:

fairing (as we called it) is made already, but we waiting to some warm weather (at least +5 celsius) to install it to boat and paint:

Hope, I will got such weather at March.

Tags
boat