Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2009, 18:42   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
We have two heads. We put some shelves in it. Makes for an adequate storage area. Even when we have guest we tend to use the one bath. We do however LOVE the separate shower. It is even a sit down one. That my wife viewed as essential.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 19:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Having a separate shower that is not in the exact same area as the head matters more than how many heads you have. It is theoretically possible to use our head while someone used the shower and not get you or the the paper wet. Our first boat was a one size does all and you had to cover the paper to shower. It all worked but it gets old quickly.

One really nice head is better than two. Anyone that had stink hose that had to replace the plumbing knows it's not a job to be done often. When one goes the other follows.

I'll add one qualifier. The Admiral knows a dumb idea when she hears one, see one, or marries one. Been there, done that, and lost the T shirt.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 19:39   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
We're talking about four square feet of interior real estate. If you've got the space and are asking the question, install a Lavac and be done with the conversation. After a year or so, you can toss the other toilet, replace it with the Lavac and build a locker to store your collection of whatever. Or, you can be happy you have an option. Really, sometimes these discussions go on forever about such trivial issues.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 19:54   #19

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Well, i must be either really lucky or down right cursed, as my boat came with three heads.... yup. Some days cursed is the correct choice..
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 20:03   #20

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Depends on the layout. We've cruised with one head in a boat where the head was conveniently located for you and guests without having to intrude by walking through someones cabin. In that case, it was fine. But our present boat has ensuite heads in all of the cabins and to use them you have to walk through the cabin. It's actually logical in an odd way for cats because you really don't want much weight outside of the centerline, and you've got a lot of space...so a head and shower are perfect for that space. However, given the choice, I would choose a workshop and storage area any day over a second head if it was one or the other. Heads are very easy to repair, and it gives you that much more incentive not to put it off!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 20:27   #21

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Two heads are better than one. If you don't believe me, just ask my first mate.

If the truth must be known, we had four heads on board Exit Only. The two forward ones we converted to storage. One of the aft ones we converted into a pantry. So for us, four heads are better than one!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 23:15   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

This thread has been only going for a few hours and already theres 21 posts...........

It either means
1) its an important subject
2) We are all bored and trying to avoid some 'orrible job
3) We are talking crap as per usual!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 23:28   #23

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
The plumbing that came with my boat was so ridiculous that I embarked on a project to fix it, and ended up with a nice versatile solution. The boat has two heads and a separate shower compartment (the latter is wonderful; I made no changes there other than to eliminate the poorly vented death-trap standing-pilot water heater). Originally, the heads used an arcane network of tubes and four non-intuitive Y-valves to select a never-used inaccessible tiny holding tank, a nonfunctional (by the time I got it) LectraSan, and direct O/B.

I added a holding tank for the forward head, and completely isolated that as its own system. Lavac is plumbed to tank (only), with new deck pumpout or macerator overboard. The other one is now on its own, outputting either through the LectraSan or O/B. The superfluous holding tank is orphaned.

This is now two simple systems instead of one complex one, and offers facilities for any situation (with a built in backup and no single-point failure potential).

Steve
Old 28-04-2009, 00:11   #24

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I've owned boats with no heads at all, only a bucket. The last boat had one head and I lived aboard for two years. Our current one has two heads. If I could choose, there's no way I'd go for the extra head. I'd prefer storage or a workshop or maybe a separate shower stall.

/Hampus
Old 28-04-2009, 01:00   #25

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
This is a very sensitive topic for Tasmanians! LOL
Old 28-04-2009, 01:19   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
I've owned boats with no heads at all, only a bucket.

Did the women folk really enjoy that? I mean really?

I would never invite a female (or male) on board with only a bucket for them.
As for a Missus, or near missus (like I have) or a prospective good-time-gal, there is no way I would know one that would want to go for the bucket option.

So now that is cleared up, the original poster ought count the number of responses for and against multiple heads and I think the heads (M) have it.

The chics in this world dig only a few things (IMHO) A good Kitchen; a bloke who calls it a kitchen; me; a good resting commode; a reasonable shower; and plenty of sunset Gin and Tonics (et al).
To deny them these small luxuries will likely deny you bed time comfort for many years.

They are a fickle and difficult lot, is womens, but I grant them their desires and issue them with toilet paper and not the frayed rope of old. Give her the extra Head

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 02:29   #27

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Did the women folk really enjoy that? I mean really?
Personally I like real heads. I don't need two of them though, one is sufficiant. The female company I had at the time, had bad experiences from "real" heads and insisted upon the bucket. She wouldn't hear of anything else. I fear that women aren't as simple to understand as you think Mark, they aren't only unpredictable and irrational as individuals but as an entire spieces. They are funny little animals...

/Hampus
Old 28-04-2009, 06:15   #28

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I have to say that I'm still on the fence. The logical and practical side of me wants a workshop and storage and fewer systems to maintain while the business side of me wants it to be able to sell someday down the road. For the record, the primary head has a separate shower and I was leaning towards a lavac anyway. The arrangement will be such that it will be most convenient for the master cabin, but privacy will not be compromised (not that there is much on a boat anyway) if a guest were to use the primary head. I plan to live on this boat for a long, long time anywhere from docked and working like I currently am to cruising the South Pacific. Decisions decisions.......
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 06:35   #29

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I think if I were building and designing I would want a nice big centrally located head and lavatory with a fully enclosed separate shower. Now if 2 couples or kids were full time live aboards I might rethink my stand but for unoccasional guest or even occasional guest seems to me that one really nice dirt home BATHROOM beats the hell out of 2 small toilet paper wetting, cramped tiny stool, 2x maintance heads.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 09:34   #30

I'm not sure trying the bucket routine in Florida is going to work!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote