Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 06:05   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope vs. Synthetic Standing Rigging

We will be replacing our standing rigging in the very near future. Our 1985 Kaufman 47 was constructed with 1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope. I have been researching synthetic standing rigging, and it appeals to me in many ways. However, I am also looking into the future, as we will probably sell Imagine in ten or so years.

My question to the forum is, "All other things being equal, is a boat with SS standing rigging more desirable to a prospective buyer than a boat with synthetic standing rigging?"
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 06:35   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: 1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope vs. Synthetic Standing Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
We will be replacing our standing rigging in the very near future. Our 1985 Kaufman 47 was constructed with 1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope. I have been researching synthetic standing rigging, and it appeals to me in many ways. However, I am also looking into the future, as we will probably sell Imagine in ten or so years.

My question to the forum is, "All other things being equal, is a boat with SS standing rigging more desirable to a prospective buyer than a boat with synthetic standing rigging?"

You will need to replace synthetic standing rigging in 10 years. That is about the maximum safe life expectancy. Stainless is often quoted at 15 years lifespan, but obviously most is much older.
Old 28-12-2018, 06:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thinwater, thank you for your reply. I know synthetic rigging only lasts 5-8 years in the tropics. That's not my concern. Let me ask in a different way. Assume you are looking to buy a heavy displacement, ocean passage maker, model X boat. Two are available for sale. Assume they are both Kaufman 47's, and they are essentially identical twins except for the standing rigging. Which one is your preference? SS or synthetic?
Old 28-12-2018, 07:10   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Thinwater, thank you for your reply. I know synthetic rigging only lasts 5-8 years in the tropics. That's not my concern. Let me ask in a different way. Assume you are looking to buy a heavy displacement, ocean passage maker, model X boat. Two are available for sale. Assume they are both Kaufman 47's, and they are essentially identical twins except for the standing rigging. Which one is your preference? SS or synthetic?
If the boat had been used for a few years with synthetic rigging without any issues, I'd prefer the synthetic rigged boat. All the hardware would be in place and re-rigging would be as easy as splicing up new lines.

A first time buyer might prefer SS as it looks stronger. I'm planning on switching over just to make my boat less reliant on other people for things like rigging but I'm not considering resale value.

Flip a coin.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Insurer will want both replaced by 10 years. That is a fairly high aspect rig on that boat. Would go with wire myself.
Old 28-12-2018, 08:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you Boatguy30 for your reply. I have never been subjected to an insurer requiring replacement or even inquiring anything about the age of my standing rigging, nor do I know any other sailboat owner that has been subjected to such policy by an insurer.

Again, let me rephrase the question, "As a potential boat buyer, does SS wire have more or less *curb appeal* over synthetic standing rigging?"
Old 28-12-2018, 08:31   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

more

words for the minimum
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:34   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Thank you Boatguy30 for your reply. I have never been subjected to an insurer requiring replacement or even inquiring anything about the age of my standing rigging, nor do I know any other sailboat owner that has been subjected to such policy by an insurer.

Again, let me rephrase the question, "As a potential boat buyer, does SS wire have more or less *curb appeal* over synthetic standing rigging?"
In Europe it is very common for insurers to require rig inspections and standing rigging replacement at regular intervals.

In my opinion stainless standing rigging is preferable to potential buyers.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:45   #9

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Just my opinion mind you. But I think most people looking for a boat don’t know enough about synthetic rigging and would tend to pass on it. Your boat is big enough that you most likely will not be selling to a first time buyer. So your clientele will be more likely be more knowledgeable. I am currently looking for a boat and age of rigging is much more of a concern to me then type.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:47   #10

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Me personally, I would prefer synthetic, I also believe in 10 years it will be more common and probably more desirable to more people.
Old 28-12-2018, 08:47   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

If you're talking right now I'd guess (as nobody has any empirical evidence I'm aware of) that SS wire would be preferred because it is known, standard and what people have seen for most/all of their boating life.

In 10 years synthetic may well be the new standard and SS an old obsolete joke, or not. That's in the future and if you can read the future, but lottery tickets and share them with me for my sage advice LOL.

Will SS need replacing in 10 years? It could. If I was buying the boat to sail the big blue I'd replace it as it is cheap to do and to critical of a component not to but that's me.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:48   #12

I would deduct the cost of new SS rigging from my offer on a boat with synthetic... but that's just me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

Depends entirely on the "synthetic' fiber and any cover material chosen. If you use all carbon rigging and take care of it, it should last "forever".
Old 28-12-2018, 10:12   #14

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

dyneema is a wonderful albeit an expensive product. as wire standing rigging requires replacing i am using dyneema on my cat. it is a relatively new product but as it becomes more commonplace i cannot see why a buyer would shy away from it and experienced sailors do not seem to have a problem with it either.
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:22   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Not having had synthetic my main concern would be chafe resistance. I know it is strong but will it take the rigors of cruising. My preference would be stainless steel. I have had rod for 28 years and have complete confidence in it. Replaced once and I think it could have just been reheadded.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, rope, stainless steel, steel