Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 10:28   #16

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet
Re: 1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope vs. Synthetic Standing Rigging

chafing is the bane of our sailing existence. i cannot provide you with an answer to the chafing issue because i have only had dyneema since may. however, i look at standing rigging as having to be replaced at 10-years (personal preference) and that is the life of dyneema too. wish i had a better answer for you
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:41   #17

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: 1x19 Stainless Steel Wire Rope vs. Synthetic Standing Rigging

Synthetic Dyneema is the best. All Racers going around the world using them with no failures.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:17   #18

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyH View Post
chafing is the bane of our sailing existence. i cannot provide you with an answer to the chafing issue because i have only had dyneema since may. however, i look at standing rigging as having to be replaced at 10-years (personal preference) and that is the life of dyneema too. wish i had a better answer for you
As said here depends on many things.
Buyers might know of or not know of. They might be open to finding out about it when it is mentioned.
Chaffe is usually obvious. Internal crevice type Stainless wire corrosion mostly isnt.
Synthetic may have more DIY appeal. The splices dont take too much effort to learn. Or less weight aloft appeal.
Synthetic has only really been around 10ish years so the jury is still out on how long it will last.
As for UV degradation, some people put covers on. Of course more cost and windage. Obviously also depends on tropical sun exposure.
But as mentioned no matter how long either actually lasts it might be an arbitrary Insurance company call.
I think buyers may or may not put the effort into finding out about both sides. Information is easier now than its ever been to ferret out.
Those those arent so interested in finding out will more likely more influenced by brokers and hopefully more so surveyors. I would hope most surveyors had an idea about this stuff or would at least ask or find out from someone that does.
Of course it doesnt always happen like this.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:12   #19

If you have Dyneema rigging done, an attraction for a buyer would be to have a roll of the stuff on board so that replacements can be carried out on board by the owner. Or made up sections for the rig. The material stores easily (whereas metal wires don't) and if kept inside it apparently does not deteriorate at all. The owner can do all the end splicing etc. no swagging tools required.
Although not so important on a cruising boat is the amazing reduction in weight for the standing rigging.
Currently, questions are being asked about the quality of SS out of China and one would hope that any rigger would guarantee the origin and quality of the product, but a dollar is a dollar. A local rigger has made it clear that he has problems sourcing both SS and galvanized wire that meets his standards. The wholesalers and even past highly regarded suppliers are now pushing Chinese wire.

If longevity is the main issue, my own experience is that high quality galvanized rigging WAS the way to go. It is relatively cheaper and does not generally suffer from the hidden types of corrosion that SS does. Any problems are immediately evident. No surprises.

If "shiny is better" then SS, even crap SS is the way to go. I would not be surprised that SS rigging will be looked upon with some suspicion in the future for this very reason.

Another issue is that if the forestay(s) are Dyneema and the head sails are hanked on, then the Dyneema strops that are used are lighter and will make the sail bagging (probably) a bit easier.
Dyneema can abrade and you do need to be aware of potential problems here.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:45   #20

I am going to be the odd man out on this discussion, because I did exactly what you are doing--I put dyneema rigging on a heavy cruising boat. In my case it was a Northstar 80/20, 40 foot ketch.

I was really happy with the performance improvement, and I know it comes with some "issues" like any relatively new technology.

I can not tell you what the "market" wants, because neither I, nor anyone else here can give a definitive answer to that. I would say that I would prefer the boat with the dyneema rig. It is so easy and cheap to re-rig it would be the way I would prefer to go.

I my case, come time to sell that boat, I had a sophisticated buyer already in waiting for it. So for me, selling my boat when I did, where I did, it was a positive market feature.

I really have no idea how it would affect your boat's performance. A lot depends on the stability characteristics of the design.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 16:06   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

The market for mainstream boats is much larger than for speciality boats. Synthetic rigging puts your boat in a speciality category today. Where the market is in 10 or 15 years, who knows. I really see little advantage to going synthetic on your boat. Getting some weight out of the rig is nice, but...
That said, when you sell your boat you are only interested in one buyer so you might as well enjoy for the next 10 years rigged the way you like it.
Old 28-12-2018, 16:16   #22

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

For a cruiser SS would be a step backward. Dyneema is lightweight, easy to replace (we do the Hampidjan tucksplice), easy to store, no fleshhooks and now in its nineth year in tropical Philippines, still no problems. For security I replaced the outer shrouds and made some tests, no significant deteriorating. Ropes are unshielded. We have a rotating carbon mast, Schionning design, no attachment hardware, the ropes pass through a hole and are attached on the other side. Sure, the entrance is well rounded and abrasion countered with a leather collar. 10 years ago I was very scared, but after nine years in service I am confident. Ropes are made in Germany, though Dyneema has one source, UV protection, prestretching and other improvement is done by the rope manufacturer. As cruiser I'd always choose Dyneema. But selling in 10 years, I would not worry today, people like Mr. Trump have much more influence on your selling price
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 17:49   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
"As a potential boat buyer, does SS wire have more or less *curb appeal* over synthetic standing rigging?"

I understood the question. It is a fair question. I did not answer directly because...

a. I'm not that familiar with monohull rigging requirements. Not enough to feel sure. On a multihull I would generally consider it a plus, but a very minor issue. However, synthetic rigging is more mainstream for multis than for monos for a number of reasons.

b. It's going to come down to age and condition at the time.

So I chose to abstain.
Old 28-12-2018, 18:03   #24

Boat: Kaufman 47

What's going Michael!

You already know my answer for the Kaufman, synthetic from Colligo. I'd do I again if I had to make the choice. For other talking about price, for our high aspect rigs, the cost isn't that different, about 1.5x more for Colligo. That said, when it comes time for replacing, it will be less because I don't have to buy the terminals again, just the dux cordage. We have 1/2 and 7/16" wire for our Kaufman boats so it's not cheap. Regarding chaffing, if you have chaffing anywhere it's not good, regardless of the rigging. Avoid chaffing, period. You can't see failuresin SS rigging until an outer strand pops out. Sagged fittings may have been done wrong with a poorly serviced machine or rigger. Synthetic will show you when it starts to fail. Also, the 10 years is just a suggestion, just like it is with SS wire. How many people on the forum alone are rocking SS rigging that's older than 10 years? 15?

I feel a new owner will get used to whatever comes on the boat they fall in love with. We have all had to learn about all the systems on the boats we have bought, so I don't think synthetic rigging would be that much of a problem.

The stuff is great, so much lighter and honestly as much as you think it's rope, when the mast is tuned the rigging is as hard and stiff as SS.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up here!

Ronnie
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 18:41   #25

Quote:
Again, let me rephrase the question, "As a potential boat buyer, does SS wire have more or less *curb appeal* over synthetic standing rigging?"

I would favour SS. I would have to be convinced that a maniac with a sharp machete could not reap havoc with synthetic.
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 19:01   #26

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I would assume a slight premium for synthetic rigging. Beyond the rigging itself (assuming it’s not a dog’s breakfast), the implication is that the owner was prepared to upgrade and maintain systems not just stick with whatever was there. Either way without documented date of professional replacement within the last nine years any rigging would need replacing in order to get insurance here in NZ.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 19:38   #27

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Thank you Boatguy30 for your reply. I have never been subjected to an insurer requiring replacement or even inquiring anything about the age of my standing rigging, nor do I know any other sailboat owner that has been subjected to such policy by an insurer.

Again, let me rephrase the question, "As a potential boat buyer, does SS wire have more or less *curb appeal* over synthetic standing rigging?"
Michaeld, What makes you think there is a single "buyer mentality" and all buyers will be the same?

Some will refer stainless, some will prefer synthetic, and some will want to know the age of the standing rigging.

As for me, I'd go for stainless wire because, regardless of the insurer's requirement to change after 10 years, I know it will go a lot longer than that.

My own boat has rod.
Old 28-12-2018, 19:40   #28

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
Synthetic Dyneema is the best. All Racers going around the world using them with no failures.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
All?

No failures?

Yeah, right
Old 28-12-2018, 23:34   #29

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Very difficult to answer because the question is really "in ten years time will a boat with synthetic rigging be more or less attractive than one with wire". Ten years ago I would have preferred wire. Now, I have synthetic rigging and will never go back. I'm confident that others will slowly convert too, and the percentage of advocated will increase such that the question you are asking will be less pertinent at the time you intend to sell. If I were you I would get the rigging I wanted and not try to predict future desires of potential buyers.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 00:27   #30

Would love to hear what the differences in cost are especially if you are prepared to do as much work yourself. I am looking at some boats that need a complete change of standing rigging.
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, rope, stainless steel, steel