Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 10:48   #1

Boat: Kirie Feeling 920
1984 Kirie Feeling 920 Refit

Been asking a few questions on here and starting different threads for them, so figured I'd just document in here whats been done, and the ongoing progress so when I inevitably have more problems and advice I'm stuck on, I can ask away in here rather than starting new threads for it. So to start at the beginning:

The boat: It's a 1984 Kirie Feeling 920 (also called an Elite 32 here in the states). From what it looks like, it was built in Les Sables-d'Olonne, France. About 370 of this model made. As far as I know, we are the 3rd owners but not 100% sure. The owner we purchased the boat from got it in 2011 and kept it in freshwater in South Dakota. It was kept pretty stock with no particular upgrades made beyond a speaker system they added.

The why: I've always been attracted to the lifestyle of sailing. The independence and freedom of being powered by the wind, and the only thing limiting your range is your supplies of rum (lol that's a joke)! For years I've been dreaming of owning my own, and enviously reading these forms of others who have one, and watching sailing videos only made me yearn more for it. It was a little difficult convincing my wife to join in this dream, as she gets seasick very easily and is afraid of being out there in a little boat all alone. But with us both being so young (24, and 23) now is the best time to do it I told her and was able to convince her.

The how: So with all of the money we had been saving, we bought our boat in November 2020. Now, with us being in Georgia at the time we bought the sailboat sight unseen, going off the pictures. Without any marine surveyor nearby to be able to do it, we had to rely on lemon-squad for the prepurchase inspection (surprisingly they do boat inspections, but after using them I would likely not recommend it). We knew it wasn't in pristine condition, some leaky windows and wood trim that needed replacing, but it was our dream boat that called out to us, and the price was right. With all said and done, we had the boat hauled down the the coast in Alabama to begin the work!

To give a synopsis of whats been done so far:

Exterior:
1. Took off all the deck hardware and drilled larger hole and filled with Six10 epoxy. Only a couple of hardware pieces had some bedding, and we noticed a couple spots with leaks so decided to just do everything.
2. We took off the port side windows and replaced it with newly cut acrylic. We did that install wrong, so we are going to have to take that off again and redo it. But since its not leaking we are going to wait to do that until we get some more stuff done. We weren't expecting the windows to be as see through as they were, so the way its setup you can see the 3M tape that held it in place when we were sealing it up. We’re either hoping to be able to reuse that, and use black spray paint on the interior side of the window so that wont be noticeable, or buy much darker windows.

Interior:
1. The interior headliner was sagging and looked moldy and all around disgusting so that has been removed. The glue holding it has mostly been removed by using a stainless steel wire brush attached on a grinder. We are finishing the aft cabin and have the saloon to do for that to be done.
2. We removed all the cabin sole and have already sanded and almost have it all varnished. Using the total boat lust varnish and going for a matte finish.
3. We removed the stainless steel water tank. We are thinking of going for a plastismo water tank to make cleaning easier, save on some extra weight, and able to put it in more difficult spots.
4. Gutted out almost all the old electrical wiring and plumbing. Planning on redoing all of that. One of the previous owners must have done some changes to that, because it was a mess and really felt like a safety hazard. Having neat plumbing and electrical wiring will make us feel a lot better, and knowing that we put it in and did it right, as well as any problem solving in the future.
5. Countertop has been removed. We’ve cut out the new sheet that we are going to be putting Formica on top of. We are going to do it out of MDF, which the reasoning behind is because it’s completely flat. We’re planning on giving it lots of coatings all around to make it waterproof.
6. We removed the galley propane stove, and planning on going all electric induction stove top and converting the extra unused space into more storage!
7. Removed the head counter top and doing the same thing as in the galley, with a new Formica top.

And here is a list of some things we plan on doing:

Interior:
1. New white headliner
2. Sew up all new cushions
3. New plumbing, with manual hand and foot pumps and no electric pumps to save on electrical use.
4. Redo some of the storage space differently by the galley and head.
5. Paint the bilge.
6. Add cabin sole locks, and locker locks to make it safer in case of a flip or rough seas.
7. Wire up all new electrical, putting LED lights all throughout and add 400 amps of Li Po batteries.
8. New Formica counter tops throughout
9. Add more insulation to the fridge and a more energy efficient compressor.
10. Add a grip floor to the companionway steps going into the saloon.
11. Put in an induction electric stove
12. Add some extra grab rails throughout the interior
13. Install the AC unit
14. Install the water maker
15. Create extra storage space in what is now unused open space around the hull.
16. Re-varnish the rest of the interior wood trim.
17. New keel bolts and backing plates
18. Install all new electronics.

Exterior:
1. Putting awl grip on the old molded in non-skid deck, and paint the rest of the deck.
2. Varnish all exterior teak
3. Replace any damaged deck hardware
4. Install colligio running rigging
5. Taller stanchions and better stanchion base with dyneema lifelines.
6. Bottom paint with interlux protect 2000e
7. Drop the rudder. Has some water damage so planning on taking all the old foam out and doing new fill in foam and fiberglass back up.
8. Drop the keel and see if any damage has been done from the rusty keel bolts
9. Build a fiberglass hardtop dodger & Bimini.
10. Install 600 watts of solar panels on the hardtop Bimini.

This list is no where near exhaustive and in order, but a general idea of what we are planning on doing. Our goal is to make an attractive clean boat, while also making her more fit for offshore use. With so many projects in mind, we seem to jump from project to project right now. Luckily there are two of us, so while shes working on one, I can work on another.

I would love to hear some opinions on what you think, especially if we are misinformed about something! We want to make sure we are doing it the right and safe way. This is our first boat, and this community has been our biggest resource in learning how to do everything we’ve done up until now, and looking forward for some feedback and to keep on learning as much as we can from all the great minds on here! Also attached are some photos of what it look like before, and what it's like now so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4223.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	242888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	242889  

Name:	attatchment.znZZda.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	242892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	242893  

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	242894   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB8678D0-93E8-441A-8D4E-39A87F636665.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	242895  

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	242896  
USA1791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: 1984 Kirie Feeling 920 Refit

I wouldn't put a plastimo tank in for long term use, they have a reputation for eventually leaking. I have done this, but sold the boat shortly afterwards. Instead pull the stainless steel tank and add inspection hatches like these. Choose the clear lids type so you can see inside and access to clean it out.

Barton Marine - Products - Inspection covers

I would also question the need for a watermaker whilst you are starting out. Defer this purchase for now and add it later when you need it. Buy good quality sails first, far more valuable on a nice sporty yacht and enjoy the sailing on a nibble and responsive yacht rather than some old tub. Find a second hand cruising chute for her too for fun downwind

Do insulate any hull area down to the waterline with closed cell foam. Don't use that foil stuff, buy closed cell foam and it will pay dividends for both keeping the heat out during the summer and warmth in during the winter.

Don't put MDF under the sink even sealed. Use a marine ply sealed with epoxy because things will leak eventually.

If you remove the electric water pump, how are you going to take a shower?

Add autopilot to the electrics package.

Add a small portable freezer which will extend the time you can be out at sea.

You haven't mentioned anchors or chain. The yacht probably has 8mm if original. Consider down sizing to 6mm or 1/4" higher quality enabling a longer chain for similar weight and breaking strain.

Good luck.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 14:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I wouldn't put a plastimo tank in for long term use, they have a reputation for eventually leaking. I have done this, but sold the boat shortly afterwards. Instead pull the stainless steel tank and add inspection hatches like these. Choose the clear lids type so you can see inside and access to clean it out.

Barton Marine - Products - Inspection covers

I would also question the need for a watermaker whilst you are starting out. Defer this purchase for now and add it later when you need it. Buy good quality sails first, far more valuable on a nice sporty yacht and enjoy the sailing on a nibble and responsive yacht rather than some old tub. Find a second hand cruising chute for her too for fun downwind

Do insulate any hull area down to the waterline with closed cell foam. Don't use that foil stuff, buy closed cell foam and it will pay dividends for both keeping the heat out during the summer and warmth in during the winter.

Don't put MDF under the sink even sealed. Use a marine ply sealed with epoxy because things will leak eventually.

If you remove the electric water pump, how are you going to take a shower?

Add autopilot to the electrics package.

Add a small portable freezer which will extend the time you can be out at sea.

You haven't mentioned anchors or chain. The yacht probably has 8mm if original. Consider down sizing to 6mm or 1/4" higher quality enabling a longer chain for similar weight and breaking strain.

Good luck.

Pete
Thanks for the advice!

Couple questions about it:

So you think we should keep the ss and add those inspection covers? We've already taken it out, but we still have it.

For the insulation, that was something I did have a thought about. We are in the Gulf right now, so keeping the heat in is something we certainly don't want! But keeping the heat out would be great. For that type of application, do you think spray-on foam would be better, or sheets?

Yeah I have been having 2nd thoughts about the MDF just because the thought of water ever getting to it. But I thought that epoxy would be able to fix that problem?

For showers we were thinking one of those solar shower bags. Can hang it up and take a hot shower, or just fill up and go in for a room temp shower. As for how fun and inconveneit that will be, the idea might sound better than reality.
Old 29-07-2021, 04:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

No point to discarding a ss tank that fits and doesn't leak. You're storing potable water in it. That means it does not need cleaning often, and even then usually can be flushed rather than scrubbed. I'd keep it even if I didn't add the inspection covers.

Why drop the water pump? It just sits there keeping the water lines pressurized. I think that you'll find that a solar shower is not all that inviting on a chilly morning on the Alabama coast.

General thought. You've taken on a huge project with your wife's blessing/participation. She is not experienced in cruising, and anxious about seasickness. Are you making any attempt to get experience with her on the water? I'd hate to have you find out after all that work that she really couldn't enjoy the boat. That happened to a friend who Built his own boat, lovingly, and four days out on the shakedown cruise got told...
Old 29-07-2021, 11:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I agree with others - keep the water pump. Worrying about its electrical use is illogical if you are installing an induction stove. You will also need a large inverter - probably 3000 watts for the stove.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 12:33   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As Tkiethlu say.s, keep the tank. Stainless is a really good material for water tanks and a drop of bleach each Spring to keep it fresh not a problem. You just need some inspection hatches to get inside and check once in a while.

I have drilled a stainless tank before. I bought a box of identical 6mm drills and marked a circle drilling through hole by hole. You must not allow any power tool to skid or polish stainless or it will work harden and then you are in for a world of pain. Steady slow cutting action without heating up is the key.

An angle grinder cleaned off the hole ready for a hatch. There might be other ways and if the tank is out it can be taken to someone else to cut the holes.

Fit a water tank gauge whilst you are at it Chances are the tank isn't a cube, but that doesn't matter, it just gives you an idea of how much water is left.

Have a look on You Tube at boats that have had spray insulation added like Sailing Yacht Zora and then buy the sheets and glue them in a day. They needed to spray because its a steel hull. You can use sheets of closed cell foam. Don't forget the fridge too.

Old 30-07-2021, 12:45   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One final thought, that Feeling will sail very well if you keep it upright and light, so be ruthless when it comes to adding things so the weight is kept down. You will have enough perhaps too much personal stuff already.

Light and upright is the mantra
Old 30-07-2021, 14:27   #8

Thanks for all the responses! I guess keeping the ss tank seems like the best idea. If its not broken, no reason to replace it. Will definitely want to add the inspection hatch and water gauge as Pete mentioned.

I guess having a pump for a cockpit shower wouldn't be such a bad idea. The head has a drain but it leads to the bilge and I don't think that would be a great idea to take showers in there having the bilge pump come on every time? Could install the pump in the cockpit locker, cut out a slot to put the shower head to pull out easily.

The insulation sheets look like a good way to go. Would provide some cushioning behind the headliner in case hitting head on it too! lol.

Tkiethlu - Yes she's been on power boats and always gets seasick. We've been looking at the different things to help seasickness, like the pills, some type of wrist band to wear etc. Going to have to try all the options and see what works!

Yeah we don't want to add too much weight on it. Trying to keep the tanks on the low size, and supplement with a watermaker was what I was thinking to help keep the overall weight down. We also want AC, so between the weight of the unit, and having a generator for it, and extra jerry jugs for the gas is probably going to add up a lot.
Old 31-07-2021, 18:11   #9

Boat: Columbia 45

Good luck with the boat. I had an Elite 32, hull#2, and loved the boat. I took the boat from Arkansas to the FL Keys, to North Carolina, to Texas. It was home for 5 years and i have so many happy memories of that boat.
jjt5795 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit