Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 14:59   #1

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch
1980 Beneteau First 35 Reefer Repair

Hello all-

I recently delivered this boat to St. Simons Island. While underway, one of the owner's guests punctured the ice compartment wall of the reefer, emptying the freon and rendering the reefer worthless. He'd like to repair or replace that compartment if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks so much!

Chris

chrisarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: 1980 Beneteau First 35 Reefer Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarias View Post
Hello all-

I recently delivered this boat to St. Simons Island. While underway, one of the owner's guests punctured the ice compartment wall of the reefer, emptying the freon and rendering the reefer worthless. He'd like to repair or replace that compartment if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks so much!

Chris
Chris--

If the fridge is the original Beneteau installed equipment, it is likely a Frigoboat. If so, as I discovered with our own equipment with similar damage as few years ago, there was/is no replacement for the evaporator plate. In theory one might cobble up a repair by using a generic plate and brazing the coolant lines together but as our Refrigeration Tech informed me, there is no assurance it will work properly or that the brazed lines will hold very long or well. Given the cost of the speculative repair, with no assurances that it would be successful, replacement was our only option. Fortunately, we were able to find a replacement model with the same configuration. Unfortunately, it was in France and had to be shipped to the US which added to the cost. We 'bit the bullet' and replaced the old unit with new and have generally be pleased with the results but it was an expensive exercise.

Before making the change I did get our old unit working for awhile by using an epoxy soaked piece of fiberglass to make a patch over the holed area, applying it after thoroughly cleaning and lightly sanding the damaged area. That did work for a few months although the differential expansion between the aluminum plate and the patch with temperature changes did eventually cause the patch to fail.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:01   #3

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch

Hey HyLyte-

Thanks so much for the info! One of the owners will be at the boat tomorrow and will take a picture. I was hoping it was an Adler-Barbour and that the evaporator plate would be a lift and replace. We'll see.

We were also thinking about JB Weld, but I hadn't thought of the temp changes. I'll have to look into its pliability.

Best-

Chris
chrisarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarias View Post
Hey HyLyte-

Thanks so much for the info! One of the owners will be at the boat tomorrow and will take a picture. I was hoping it was an Adler-Barbour and that the evaporator plate would be a lift and replace. We'll see.

We were also thinking about JB Weld, but I hadn't thought of the temp changes. I'll have to look into its pliability.

Best-

Chris
Take a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ir-176345.html
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 06:32   #5

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

What material and thickness? Do you have a photo?
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau