Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 06:49   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: 1945 Steel deck to teak join rusting

Don’t understand how sand blasting is going to affect the woodwork inside the boat ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 13:56   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

CaptLoyd you should see how much mess a sand blast unit can make when its being used. Sand is typically under a 150psi pressure and just goes everywhere along with all the old paint and rust particles.

I have been thinking how Malds can sand blast those deck beams and hull join without making a mess. I was imagining laying down some heavy canvas tarps inside the boat an maybe making a plywood box that can be clamped to the each beam as it is blasted. The box is not so much to catch sand (LOL) but to deflect the sand blast stream of sand from directly aiming into the interior.

You really need to get those beams and hull join to a NACE 2 Near White standard if you want a job that is going to last a long time. Grinding is just not going to achieve the same result. You could maybe grind the beams and then use that mini blaster I suggested to blast the welds and areas you cannot get clean with the grinder. I have seen reasonable results done that way.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:07   #18

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

If you want a job that will last more than five or so years you have to abrasive blast. Unfortunately no matter what the snake oil sellers claim, there is no alternative.
Talk to a pro about ways of protecting the interior. I have blasted inside. It makes a hell of a mess, but can be cleaned up with a vacuum so long as no flyblast damages the timber.

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:31   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
CaptLoyd you should see how much mess a sand blast unit can make when its being used. Sand is typically under a 150psi pressure and just goes everywhere along with all the old paint and rust particles.

I have been thinking how Malds can sand blast those deck beams and hull join without making a mess. I was imagining laying down some heavy canvas tarps inside the boat an maybe making a plywood box that can be clamped to the each beam as it is blasted. The box is not so much to catch sand (LOL) but to deflect the sand blast stream of sand from directly aiming into the interior.

You really need to get those beams and hull join to a NACE 2 Near White standard if you want a job that is going to last a long time. Grinding is just not going to achieve the same result. You could maybe grind the beams and then use that mini blaster I suggested to blast the welds and areas you cannot get clean with the grinder. I have seen reasonable results done that way.

Cheers
Oh I know sandblasting, having built a 64ft. steel schooner. All you need to do is back up the blasting area with something like some old rubber belting. Sandblast will bounce off of thick rubber causing no harm. You are going to need to clear the area where the deck meets the hull on the interior anyway. Back up this area with some rubber and blast away.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, steel, teak