Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 10:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Ysm8 hard start cold, requires throttle to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Where is a good place to buy the maintenance parts in USA.

Engine seems to run great but i would like to have spare oil filter, Anode, water pump impeller and fuel filter at the very least.

Just google Yanmar dealer in your local area or Toad marine if you want the bits shipped to you.They may not ship to your area as Yanmar mafia protects their area.
Yep keep on top of the anode, we flush our block with fresh water when we get back to dock as well to help preserve it

The oil filter is just cleaned by washing in diesel if you have the original, tells you how in the service manual.
Hope that helps
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 12:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Just google Yanmar dealer in your local area or Toad marine if you want the bits shipped to you.They may not ship to your area as Yanmar mafia protects their area.
Yep keep on top of the anode, we flush our block with fresh water when we get back to dock as well to help preserve it

The oil filter is just cleaned by washing in diesel if you have the original, tells you how in the service manual.
Hope that helps
I've been going to Niemiec Marine. It's about a thirty minute drive from my marina, but their shipping options look reasonable too.

What's the best way to troubleshoot the low oil pressure? It would be great if it was just a weak pump that I could rebuild or replace. I'd hate to hear that is sloppy bearings that can't hold back the oil....

After pulling the boat for the year I kind of realized the engine wasn't getting hot. I think that's why I had some white in the exhaust. The boat came with a spare thermostat, so I think I should look into that.

-AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:41   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I've been going to Niemiec Marine. It's about a thirty minute drive from my marina, but their shipping options look reasonable too.

What's the best way to troubleshoot the low oil pressure? It would be great if it was just a weak pump that I could rebuild or replace. I'd hate to hear that is sloppy bearings that can't hold back the oil....

After pulling the boat for the year I kind of realized the engine wasn't getting hot. I think that's why I had some white in the exhaust. The boat came with a spare thermostat, so I think I should look into that.

-AT

Be aware these are raw water cooled engines so they dont get hot. The thermostat opens at 52oC. Highest oil temp I've seen is 59oC.
Follow directions in manual for checking thermostat.

If its blowing white smoke you should check injector & compression.

What is your oil pressure?
A common problem is the rotor to wear down into the case making the clearance btwn the rotor & the cover too large. Follow the instructions in the service manual to check the tolerances. If its out of tolerance PM me or post back on here & I'll give you some options for fixing.
Yanmars cure was to buy a new PTO case for $720+tax.
The crank main bearing on the flywheel end is a kings ransom too so you hope that is not the problem. Think they about US $400.
I got replacements machined up to avoid the Yanmar extortion network.
Old 15-01-2021, 14:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Be aware these are raw water cooled engines so they dont get hot. The thermostat opens at 52oC. Highest oil temp I've seen is 59oC.
Follow directions in manual for checking thermostat.

If its blowing white smoke you should check injector & compression.

What is your oil pressure?
A common problem is the rotor to wear down into the case making the clearance btwn the rotor & the cover too large. Follow the instructions in the service manual to check the tolerances. If its out of tolerance PM me or post back on here & I'll give you some options for fixing.
Yanmars cure was to buy a new PTO case for $720+tax.
The crank main bearing on the flywheel end is a kings ransom too so you hope that is not the problem. Think they about US $400.
I got replacements machined up to avoid the Yanmar extortion network.
I hope it's nothing serious on all fronts!

White smoke: the first time I saw it was when the weather was getting colder. How do these engines handle cold cold water? It was snowing by the time I pulled the boat. I was wondering if the thermostat is designed to only close so much to ensure that there is always water flow, even if the temperature of the raw water is cold enough that flow would need to stop for the engine to warm up. Which of course would cause many other terrible problems.

Oil pressure: I need to measure the actual oil pressure. All I know is that at idle, the idiot gauge/alarm made a little squeek with each rotation of the engine. Rotating the filter makes no difference. I cleaned the filter at the last oil change too. Bumping up the Rpm "fixes" that squeak. However just before my last trip out (which was supposed to be to Florida lol) I had to replace the throttle control. It's totally possible I just have the idle too low, I only did that by ear. A new engine would have bad oil pressure if idled too low. I've been thinking that an analog pressure and oil temperature gauge would help my peace of mind also. Do these engines benefit from adding an element oil filter? I've read that some people have done that but the Yanmar manual quoted some impressive micron level of filtration (forget the number).

In general I have the yanmar manual, but I only had the energy to put the boat to bed and nothing more. I did nothing to try and and DX any of this according to the manual.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 14:42   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I hope it's nothing serious on all fronts!

White smoke: the first time I saw it was when the weather was getting colder. How do these engines handle cold cold water? It was snowing by the time I pulled the boat. I was wondering if the thermostat is designed to only close so much to ensure that there is always water flow, even if the temperature of the raw water is cold enough that flow would need to stop for the engine to warm up. Which of course would cause many other terrible problems.

Oil pressure: I need to measure the actual oil pressure. All I know is that at idle, the idiot gauge/alarm made a little squeek with each rotation of the engine. Rotating the filter makes no difference. I cleaned the filter at the last oil change too. Bumping up the Rpm "fixes" that squeak. However just before my last trip out (which was supposed to be to Florida lol) I had to replace the throttle control. It's totally possible I just have the idle too low, I only did that by ear. A new engine would have bad oil pressure if idled too low. I've been thinking that an analog pressure and oil temperature gauge would help my peace of mind also. Do these engines benefit from adding an element oil filter? I've read that some people have done that but the Yanmar manual quoted some impressive micron level of filtration (forget the number).

In general I have the yanmar manual, but I only had the energy to put the boat to bed and nothing more. I did nothing to try and and DX any of this according to the manual.

- AT

No no, your oil pressure light should go off immediately especially when engine is cold as oil is thick then.
You can get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge & screw it in to where your sender is to check it. I put a tee in there & a hose to the oil pressure gauge so I could have the alarm sender as well.
No need to have oil temp.
Have no experience with engine in snow conditions but you could PM halifax sailor & ask him but I wouldnt worry about a little white smoke at startup in snow.

The thermostat does stop any water from circulating in the block until it opens. This causes zero problems as the water goes straight to the exhaust.
I saw no micron rating for the metal leaf filter so made up a remote spin on filter setup but the Yanmar filter should be ok.
It makes no difference to the oil pressure whichever system you use.

You need to check the oil pump tolerances before anything else IMO

Tags
rot