Great news--we're back up and running, and the engine
seems to still have good compression
. Feeling very lucky to have stopped the runaway in time, and appreciative of this community for all the amazing advice
When we were troubleshooting, we pulled both the lift
and injector pumps. When running through the same steps again, we realized we no longer had fuel
reaching the injector, despite having had it before. This made us realize we hadn't engaged the rod properly (wish I'd seen the reply below beforehand, but so it goes).
One thing that might have happened when removing the pump and replaced it is the possibility that you failed to engage the forked rod inside the engine which engages with the ball on the pump rack (item 13 in drawing in earlier post.
With the new lift
pump and the lines properly bled, we're starting easily, compression
seems healthy, and no apparent issues. I'll post updates if we find there's more to explore here, but otherwise hopefully getting out for a quarantine sail here in SF. Thanks so much all!