Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 20:58   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar YSE 8 Won't start Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PincoyaBlue View Post
So a quick update and thank you to everyone's help so far!

The engine was smoking (white) and did seem to be getting alot worse before it stopped starting. I was seeing a fair amount of smoke, fuel and occasionally oil from the exhaust

I tried the compression leaver to check if it was the starter motor and still nothing.

Secondly I checked the spray pattern, as suggested and found the pattern to be weak looking and very linear. Not a spray pattern like the video above or in the service manual.

I have a habit of breaking things when trying to fix them so have decided to take it to a local( recommend) that will be able to take it apart and look at it for me. I am also going to bring along the engine fuel pump as I believe one of these must be the issue.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do..?!?

Looks like I'm going to be tied to the dock a little longer.... luckily Cambell River is full of interesting people!

Oh yeah good you are getting closer to the bullseye. The white smoke is a giveaway there. The injector is actually very simple & you can get new nozzles on Ebay for peanuts but if the local has a pop-tester he will be able to check it's pop-pressure for you.
You can get cheap 4-6 psi 12v pumps at any auto parts chain, I'd have a spare anyway if I was you.

I didnt think your problem would be electrical but it's a process of elimination. I'm gunna mention checking your tappets again as you may as well do it whilst you are stranded.
Beaut part of the world to be stranded in
Another thing worth checking is the oil pump clearances as that can be a weakness too. The YSM8 workshop manual has a better explanation of doing that. If the oil pressure warning buzzer is slow to go off thats a giveaway. I'm telling you this from experience. We are in lockdown here so I gotta lotta time to follow yr saga. Keep posting back please
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar