Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2020, 10:11   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Yanmar YSB8 Oil Spin Filter

Does anyone have any experience with Yanmar's oil strainer where you spin the knob around before running the engine a few times? This is what is on my Yanmar YSB8, and have never seen anything like it before.

I am trying to clean it out and see what is going on and want to know if opening it up is a good idea?
Old 24-04-2020, 14:43   #2

Re: Yanmar YSB8 Oil Spin Filter

No reason not to take it out and check it, just make sure you drain enough oil out of the engine before you remove it so that you don't end up with an oily mess. Don't damage the gasket if you don't have anything to make a new one out of.
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 15:55   #3

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

I pulled mine and cleaned it up. Pretty simple system and easy to work with. Don't worry too much about it.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 16:02   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This is what it looks like inside.

I concur with the previous post - straightforward to pull and clean!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	213571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	213572  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 11:30   #5

Boat: CS 27

Hi All,
I also have a YSB8 and have the YSE8 service manual, which I have been told is the correct service manual for the YSB8. No where in the manual is there any info or parts schematics for the lube oil strainer, nor instructions on how to remove and clean the part. Does anyone know if this info is available anywhere?
jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:50   #6

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

Not much to know about it.

-Order a new gasket

- Remove

-Clean (l used kerosene)

-Put it back using new gasket.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 15:06   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooa View Post
Hi All,
I also have a YSB8 and have the YSE8 service manual, which I have been told is the correct service manual for the YSB8. No where in the manual is there any info or parts schematics for the lube oil strainer, nor instructions on how to remove and clean the part. Does anyone know if this info is available anywhere?
You are correct, the YSE/YSB is very quiet about the oil filter, perhaps because it is relatively simple.

However the YSM manual is more descriptive although the filter is identical; here is the oil filter page from the YSM manual.

FWIW, I use clean diesel to wash the filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oil Filter.png
Views:	1565
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	213692  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 00:48   #8

Boat: Farr 1020

I had for my YSE 8 for some 15 years with previous boat. Info said said YSE and YSB are essentially the same engine but cast iron or aluminium gearbox. Oil filter works well, just need new gasket and a kerosene bath. Very easy to maintain.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 15:03   #9

Boat: CS 27

Thanks Wotname, exactly what I needed. I downloaded the YSM8 manual.
jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:27   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'm a bit late to the party but couldn't resist sticking my oar in.
Clean out the housing it sits in as well as the dirt/sludge sits in the bottom. I wasn't convinced by the metal leaf filter so converted ours to a remote spin on type plumbing it up through that cover. I used to use gasoline or diesel to clean it. Wotname worked out the metal leaf filters to around 40 micron & the average spin on is 25-30 micron approx. I have non-std main bearings so wanted better filtration as they aren't as forgiving as Yanmars kelmet metal.
Just being a bit anal really as motor lasted a long time with it's original filter. As you will read in the manual you are supposed to spin that T-shaped handle daily when using motor. I suspect if you neglect to do this for a long time you will get reduced oil pressure as there is no bypass. Of course the oil pressure alarm will sound when it gets really low but not good to let it go that far.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:07   #11

I have a 1978 ysb in my Mirage. Always spin the filter before starting unless its really cold then wait a bit to warm up. When i change the oil (a whole 1 lt) about 3 times a year I warm up the oil then spin the filter then drain, seems to work for me as no issues since I bought the boat. Although with time on my hands this year may look at removing it just for the experience.
Old 08-05-2020, 13:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
I have a 1978 ysb in my Mirage. Always spin the filter before starting unless its really cold then wait a bit to warm up. When i change the oil (a whole 1 lt) about 3 times a year I warm up the oil then spin the filter then drain, seems to work for me as no issues since I bought the boat. Although with time on my hands this year may look at removing it just for the experience.
In our ysm8, which is very similar, you dont even need a gasket, the o-ring does the sealing. So its a simple matter of removing 3 10mm bolts, not 100% sure your ysb is exactly the same but I THINK it is. You may be surprised how much crap is in the housing but if you change your oil that often there may be very little. There is no where for the crap to go so it just sits in that housing. It's not a big job. Ours had a lot of sludge & dirt in it so the P.O. cant have done it too often or at all.
It says in the manual to clean the metal leaf filter occaisionally but says nothing about the housing in which it sits.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:40   #13

Boat: Seafarer 26 Ker-Plunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I wasn't convinced by the metal leaf filter so converted ours to a remote spin on type plumbing it up through that cover.
Can you explain how you converted the cover to use a remote filter. A photo would be good too.
Been thinking that a remote filter would be a good add to the YSB8.
1629dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 16:48   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1629dill View Post
Can you explain how you converted the cover to use a remote filter. A photo would be good too.
Been thinking that a remote filter would be a good add to the YSB8.
I'm not too good on 'puters or mobile phones but I'll try to post a picture later.

I just dismantled the metal leaf cover & made a cover for the end to block off the oil path from inside the housing.
Then I drilled into that sealed chamber & fitted a barbed hose tail fitting 1/4" i.d to take the outlet flow from a remote oil filter.
The part of the cover that sits out of the metal leaf chamber needs to be drilled to fit a barbed hosetail fitting to get access to the oil coming out of the oil pump to route to the inlet of the remote oil filter.
For the hose I just used double clamped a1 fuel hose as the hottest I've ever seen the oil get is 69oC. No problems after 4 years of use
Wotname worked out the approximate filtering ability of the metal leaf filter is 45 microns as compared to the 30 micron of the current spin on filter
I can't remember the exact figures in the study I read on the effect of particle size in engine oil on wear but I THINK it was something like a 50% reduction in wear going from 40 micron filtering to 25.
I suspect the YSM8 would outlast me with the metal leaf filter but it gave me the warm fuzzies fitting the remote full flow oil filter.
I'm planning on fitting a bypass filter now.

If you take out the metal leaf filter & look at the path the oil takes going thru it it will make my explanation much easier to understand.
Hope that helps
Old 02-06-2020, 17:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Tried to attach pic,
I have to try & make a video in the next week or so for another YS Yanmar owner who wants to fit a spin on remote filter as well so will see how that goes.
Will PM you if I do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180506_161207.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	216501  

Tags
oil, yanmar