Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 17:50   #1

Yanmar YSB 8 mixing elbow

So if you remember, I am replacing the exhaust elbow on my ysb8 (circa 1978). Found a new one and have all related parts to start the job. Here's the question. PO replaced the exhaust hose nearest the engine by using a large hose and went over the outside on the elbow instead of using a threaded nipple that would be more to my thoughts. Then a reducer was used after a foot of this 2.5 inch hose to downsize hose (1.5/8") to fit the wet muffler. All worked well until the elbow cracked so doesn't seem like it was an issue. To reinstall, I am using a threaded nipple to fit in the elbow, correct size hose that fits both the nipple and the wet muffler,less joins,less clamps, just a whole lot simpler. However, Murphy being what it is and before starting the install, mind starts working overtime and I wonder if the original install was for some reason I don't know. Looking for opinions??
Old 31-10-2020, 18:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar YSB 8 mixing elbow

Na you'll be fine,
Still think it's a lot better to ditch yanmars cast-iron elbow & fab an ss one.
Yanmars elbow often fails & dumps water on the exhaust valve which ruins piston, rings, cylinder liner & valve.
If you make a version that puts the injection attachment on the downhill side of the elbow its better. Maybe I said this to you before but anyway sorry if I'm repeating myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_000034(1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	226227  
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:01   #3

I appreciate the advice and I did look at building a ss one. However, I did find an yanmar one, I think the guy just wanted it off his shelf so got quite a deal. Not sure i could have built one for this price. So for this time I am sticking with yanmar part but nice to know that your ss design works well.
Old 01-11-2020, 15:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yes if you get one at the right price why not stick with it.

You can get custom ss factory cast ones too. My ss one will last at least 15 years if past experience is anything to go by but you wont have to worry for a while. Four years is Yanmars recommended replacement schedule for their elbows but I don't know how long they actually last. Much cheaper for me to make my own with Yanmar parts prices in NZ.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 20:29   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
So if you remember, I am replacing the exhaust elbow on my ysb8 (circa 1978). Found a new one and have all related parts to start the job. Here's the question. PO replaced the exhaust hose nearest the engine by using a large hose and went over the outside on the elbow instead of using a threaded nipple that would be more to my thoughts. Then a reducer was used after a foot of this 2.5 inch hose to downsize hose (1.5/8") to fit the wet muffler. All worked well until the elbow cracked so doesn't seem like it was an issue. To reinstall, I am using a threaded nipple to fit in the elbow, correct size hose that fits both the nipple and the wet muffler,less joins,less clamps, just a whole lot simpler. However, Murphy being what it is and before starting the install, mind starts working overtime and I wonder if the original install was for some reason I don't know. Looking for opinions??
I would bet good money that the PO did it the way he did because he was:

-lazy
-cheap
-used what he had to hand
-was in a hurry
-didn't know better
-near enough is good enough

Pick any three
Or perhaps all of the above!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 21:31   #6

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I just had a custom exhaust fabbed up. All in due of saving a turbo by getting water injection point as far away from the turbo as possible.

I'd highly recommend getting a custom one made. Click image for larger version

Name:	180457121.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	226288Click image for larger version

Name:	2117639249.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	226289
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, yanmar