Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 09:46   #1

Yanmar with SD20 saildrive removal

Does anyone know of any videos on pulling a small yanmar (29 hp 2013 +/-) saildrive and replacing the boot on it? I need to replace the engine mounts, inner and outer boots (leg seals), and disassemble and clean the heat exchanger. Boat is a 2014 leopard 39 and access to the engines is through a deck hatch. If anyone has any advice on how to proceed I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking that pulling the engines entirely and putting them on a stand will make working on them easier as the engine room is tight.
shaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 17:01   #2

Re: Yanmar with SD20 saildrive removal

Hi Shaen, if you have access to a crane it would be easier to lift out the engines ,at least because of the tilt angle sometimes needed to lift the Saildrive out with the propeller shaft still in place. Ideally, replace all the seals on the Saildrives while they’re out on the bench. Pay close attention to the condition of the fiberglass surface that the diaphragms contact and that the threads are in good condition. The heat exchangers are easy to remove and strip down on the bench, less so in the boat and again, make sure the end cap threads are in good condition. If not, helicoil them and they’ll last forever. Use a new metal retaining clip on the inner diagphragm if the old ones are even slightly suspect.
Also inspect the condition of the drive plate that’s attached to the flywheel, if the springs are loose or broken get new plates.
There are numerous video’s of Saildrive removal on the usual channels....
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 10:10   #3

Boat: Southern Cross 39
Re: Yanmar with SD20 saildrive removal

Hi Shaen, check out this link: https://www.boatclick.co/product/120 has the manuals for your engine and SD, plus you can order parts directly from the marketplace, really easy!
You'll have to register first though.
Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, sail, saildrive, yanmar