Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:29   #1

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Yanmar Transmission Problem

I was motoring last winter at about 3,000 rpms for a few hours and all the sudden it started making all sorts of noise and I lost all propulsion. I backed off the throttle and took her out of gear and the noise stopped. After checking various combinations, I found that the only time I got the noise was in gear, forward or reverse, with power, not at idle. However, at idle, the shaft would turn normally.

A friend suggested it was probably the dampening disk, but after pulling the transmission and the disk, I can't find any problem. I've got the transmission sitting in from of me taken almost completely apart and can't see anything wrong with it. Nothing's broken or worn.

I did find lots of red stuff on the output spline and retaining nut, but figured that might have been locktight. I also found red covering the disk, but since everything was rusty, I didn't find that surprising either.

Any suggestions of what to else to check? Could the disk be bad even if it doesn't look broken?

btw, it's a Yanmar 3HMF w/ KBW10E.

thanks...
don
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: Yanmar transmission problem

How is your prop shaft bearing? Also, is your prop on tight?
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:48   #3

Re: Yanmar Transmission Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
I was motoring last winter at about 3,000 rpms for a few hours and all the sudden it started making all sorts of noise and I lost all propulsion. after pulling the transmission and the disk, I also found red covering the disk, but since everything was rusty, I didn't find that surprising either.

btw, it's a Yanmar 3HMF w/ KBW10E.

thanks...
don
Why was the Disc rusty ? What made it Rust ?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 07:45   #4

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Sorry for the late reply, had some connectivity issues.

I've got it out, and everything looks good, except the disk drive springs are a bit loose and there's a groove worn in the thrust washers. Looks like it wore down enough to make the clutch slip under load, and the loose disk drive accounted for the noise -- it was slipping and grabbing several times a second and the disk drive would bank each time. Before this happened, I'd hear a clunk each time I put her into gear.

Parts should be hear by the end of the week, so I hope to finish her up and get back in the water by the end of the month. Thanks for all the replies.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 09:20   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Yanmar Transmission Problem

Had a friend who had to replace his thrust washers a couple times. He ended up going to a full service transmission vs his pleasure trans.

Tags
transmission, yanmar