Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 06:43   #1
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Yanmar throttle stuck!

Have just had our catamaran launched after a long winter ashore!

Quickly went to check everything and wanted to start both engines to check all okay. One all fine, but on the other the throttle (push button in to get neutral for start-up) wouldn't barely move. Still started but only on idle.

Didn't get a chance to try throttle in gear since tide didn't get high enough but am back down at the weekend to have another go.

Plan to disconnect the morse cable to check if it is jammed but was hoping for a few ideas of what might be the problem before I get there.

??

Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Yanmar throttle stuck!

Try to see if the lever isn’t jammed, see if it moves when in gear, you don’t have to start the engine, if it moves in gear, then it’s the lever and not the cable.
I have had mine jam once and wouldn’t move, and it hasn’t since, felt like it was half way disconnected, wiggling the lever and pushing the button back in and ensuring it was fully out the next time seemed to clear it.

I’d wiggle the lever and push the button in and pull it out once or twice before I disconnected the cable, but if the lever seems fine, I’d go to the cable next, especially since it’s sat up, but once cable is loose try the lever on the injection pump of course.
I would not start the engine for any of this myself.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:25   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

If the Morse control and cables are exposed to the elements by the helm that’s where I’d start and work from there..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 10:34   #4

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

On my 2GM20, corrosion occurs where the arm pivots on the motor. A squirt of PB Blaster or other lubricant and then pliers to move the lever ( disconnect from the cable first) back and forth solves the problem. Once it moves freely, a drop of oil will keep it free. While you are there, do the same thing for the stop lever.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 10:51   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
On my 2GM20, corrosion occurs where the arm pivots on the motor. A squirt of PB Blaster or other lubricant and then pliers to move the lever ( disconnect from the cable first) back and forth solves the problem. Once it moves freely, a drop of oil will keep it free. While you are there, do the same thing for the stop lever.
My 3GM30 does this also, the pivot point on injection pump gets corroded and sticks.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 11:59   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
My 3GM30 does this also, the pivot point on injection pump gets corroded and sticks.
My 3gm30 has had this problem as well. But only after the water pump broke and sprayed salt water everywhere
chris mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:36   #7

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
My 3gm30 has had this problem as well. But only after the water pump broke and sprayed salt water everywhere
Like Chris implies here... If you engine is corroding to the point that throttle levers are not moving, something is really wrong.

I know lots of pictures we see here are of engines that are covered in rust, but that is NOT NORMAL. An engine installed and maintained properly will not be covered in rust. Yes, even in a salt water boat!

I am a bit of a fanatic about keeping salt water off my mechanical and electrical parts. Anytime I am opening up a salt water connection I have a wet vac to collect as much as I can, and a towel for the rest. Any leak is chased down and fixed.

Dribbling salt water, and (even worse) spraying water, is just sure to condemn an engine to an early death. It should NEVER be tolerated. A rusty hunk of an engine is a sure sign of sloppy maintenance.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 02:42   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Update - it was the lever that was stuck. Oil and a tap backwards and forwards.
And no the engine is not rusting or been sprayed with seawater. It will however be a part of regular maintenace in the future.

Sos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot, yanmar