Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 04:23   #16

Boat: Bristol 29.9 1978
Re: Yanmar Terrible Rumble/Grinding Noise On Initial Engagement

The oil was clean and not dark as the engine oil gets, even when it is quite fresh. I think everything is OK in there. I have a minor concern about the linkage and will get around to inspecting it better.

Stepping the mast manually is cheap and reasonably easy, but it's not for the feint of heart!
Homer Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 14:10   #17

I lubricated the shifting control and cable as best I could today. This did not help much. I've not disconnected the linkage from the cable yet (hard, painful job) but I'm assuming the cable is probably shot.

The control is Morse (Teleflex/Morse) and was original with the boat in 1978. I have some documenation for it, which I'll try to remember to grab Saturday.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this part number would be?
Old 06-06-2021, 11:28   #18

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Teleflex/Morse cables are pretty standard. Might need to use the end fittings from the existing cable, but otherwise, just need to order the same OD cable in the correct length.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 16:46   #19

I confirmed that the problem is the cable. I'm pretty sure this is a Telex 6400BC cable with the 5/16" connections and the bulkhead connector on one end. Unfortunately, these cables run about $150 vs. about $45 for the lesser 3300 series.

I'm going to attempt to remove the cable from the boat tomorrow. Today I took both ends off, which was not difficult. I expect the bulkhead connector to give me a fight as it is severely corroded. It's been getting penetrating oil for a week. Anyone know what size these nuts are? They are bigger than 3/4", which was the largest I had on hand. I can use two large adjustable wrenches but I think it may take a hacksaw.

I can't really measure the length of the cable without removing it, though I'd guess it's 6'. Lengths this short are not readily available and I may have to put in a loop, which will add pi x 16" to the overall length.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4Toj...ls0ey?e=codhwk
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4Tts...91NBo?e=SS3dgi
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4TmG...je958?e=xF6X3z
Old 12-06-2021, 21:35   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Shannon View Post
I confirmed that the problem is the cable. I'm pretty sure this is a Telex 6400BC cable with the 5/16" connections and the bulkhead connector on one end. Unfortunately, these cables run about $150 vs. about $45 for the lesser 3300 series.

I'm going to attempt to remove the cable from the boat tomorrow. Today I took both ends off, which was not difficult. I expect the bulkhead connector to give me a fight as it is severely corroded. It's been getting penetrating oil for a week. Anyone know what size these nuts are? They are bigger than 3/4", which was the largest I had on hand. I can use two large adjustable wrenches but I think it may take a hacksaw.

I can't really measure the length of the cable without removing it, though I'd guess it's 6'. Lengths this short are not readily available and I may have to put in a loop, which will add pi x 16" to the overall length.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4Toj...ls0ey?e=codhwk
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4Tts...91NBo?e=SS3dgi
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR9KzpBmPls4TmG...je958?e=xF6X3z
As difficult and as expensive as the cable replacement will be, it is way better than having faults in the transmission.

It looks like you have got your work cut out for you (pun intended), I don't envy you.

I don't like the "kink" in the cables at the throttle/shifter end. Hopefully that can be made more fair / true when you replace the shifter cable.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 01:18   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Crustations, probably tube worms, have built shells inside your stern bearing.
Old 20-06-2021, 04:52   #22

I received the Teleflex/Seastar cable Thurday afternoon and installed it Friday. The installation was straight forward. The only hassle was dropping the pin that connects the cable yoke to the shifter mechanism. Of course, if fell right into a place you can't get to. Fortunately, a 5/16" bolt with a nylock nut works just as well and now I won't have to hassle with the tiny cotter pin that went into the pin.

The new cable shift smoothly and easily. The transmission engages perfectly in both direction. This one is wrapped up and it's time to go sailing!
Old 20-06-2021, 05:26   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Another great outcome - enjoy your sailing
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 06:59   #24

Thanks again to the many quality posters in this forum.
Old 21-06-2021, 18:47   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Glad you got it sorted Homer. You have prevented accelerated clutch wear.
Bad luck that lubing cable didnt fix it. I took one off on a previous boat & hung it up & drizzled oil down it for a couple of days to free it up. Worked until we sold boat a few years later.

Still if yours was original cable I guess 43 years aint bad. Reminds me I better lube our 1980 cable.I guess they will be over $300 here if they are $150 there.
Sail on.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, noise, rib, rum, yanmar