Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 23:13   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Yanmar starter relay

I have a whole new unit. The starter and solenoid are always sold as a single piece, unless you are just buying spares.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 23:44   #17

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Mikedefiaslife, Check where the neg (earth) terminal from the battery is. I found it best to put that heavy battery earth wire in the bolt holding the starter motor. The plug & sockets are bad on old installations in that 30A circuit. Some have cut out the plugs & sockets others have installed relays.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 00:18   #18

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

My intermittent problem was solved by changing the “ solenoid “ that sits at the top back of the engine next to the exhaust elbow. Not what we consider the solenoid on the starter itself.
Try getting someone to turn the key and when you hear the click tap this solenoid and it will start. They are expensive from Yanmar at $100.

Til I could get a new one I was just bridging this out with long nose pliers
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 02:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Mikedefiaslife, Check where the neg (earth) terminal from the battery is. I found it best to put that heavy battery earth wire in the bolt holding the starter motor. The plug & sockets are bad on old installations in that 30A circuit. Some have cut out the plugs & sockets others have installed relays.
That is where it is. Fresh 50mm2 cable on the bolt that holds the starter to the engine. I have also moved the relay negative their too.

Press the stater button and I get a click , press it again in another way and the engine fires up immediately. Thing is the button can't be the problem now that I have added the relay. Also when it isn't working, hot wiring the terminals at the button/key switch doesn't work, but jumping them at the solenoid does.
Old 25-04-2018, 02:10   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Without wanting to sound condescending but are you sure it is the solenoid clicking and not the relay?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 02:13   #21

It's both.

I've had the relay click with the solenoid do nothing. Now I have the solenoid click. It will start pretty much 100% of the time with a few presses now. It's just weird because practically everything that matters is brand new.
Old 25-04-2018, 02:28   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This must be frustrating!

Time to get the voltmeter out and chase down the problem, I do wish you good luck and with persistence, you will find the problem.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 02:48   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Sounds like either a bad power source to the push button, a bad wire from the pushbutton to the relay 86 terminal, a bad power source to the 30 terminal, or possibly a bad wire from 87 terminal to starter solenoid (though I think I remember that that one's new). Any of these can be tested by sequentially disconnecting the harness and jumping the appropriate circuit with a length of wire and an alligator clip. (for simplicity in the order listed above)

Hopefully it's not too snide, but this one's really 'not rocket science'...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 03:09   #24

Bit of an update on this.

It solenoid that comes with the starter is no longer working. My additional relay (Yanmar relay mod) clicks nicely and supplies power, but the solenoid will not do anything, even when jumped across the large and small terminals.

The starter itself springs into life when it's jumped, and spins up nice and powerfully. It doesn't engage the engine though unless the engine is in gear.
Old 16-04-2022, 12:54   #25

Boat: J/42

I have pretty much the exact same problem.. trying to add a working/tested relay and I get nothing. Did you ever figure it out?
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 13:40   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380

Much easier with two people. DMM with needle/sharp probes can solve this mystery in 30 minutes.
In the last year, i found an intermittent starter push button and several female flag terminals that slip on the little cube relay. And also a bad starter pinion stop. It got so bad on the last cruise that it took 2 to start the stb engine.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar