Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 17:55   #1

Boat: Island packet 465 - 49'
Yanmar parts in Florida

has anyone worked out how to buy Yankmar parts online for shipping to florida? All the online stores I found can deliver anywhere in the USA except Florida. My local dealers in SW florida are useless and I've wasted hours trying to stock up on filters before we head offshore. i thought this kind of service died out with the typewriter.
Alan.ryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 18:01   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Yanmar parts in Florida

Never had a problem. They all go through Mastry in St. Pete. Go to their web page and find a dealer.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 18:18   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have found it much more convenient to simply use NAPA Auto Parts. The NAPA Gold filters seem to be excellent quality, fairly priced and most importantly easily obtainable.

They have filter application/substitution charts for just about any filter look-up. Same with belts.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 18:38   #4

Boat: Island packet 465 - 49'

Mastry don't have an online store and are 150 miles away My local dealers aren't online either. I'm traveling on business at the moment and just need to order online - lots of OEM dealers online - all excluded from shipping to Florida.

Would prefer to use OEM parts but looks like Napa might win - thanks.
BTW ordered 4 genuine Johnson impellers online - arrived 2 days later and the cost was almost exactly half the Yanmar cost - Good old ebay! it's a johnson pump and the 'genuine' Yanmar part is stamped Johnson just the same as the 4 I bought.

If only we could work out who makes Yanmar's filters and belts we could bypass the Yanmar and Mastry markup and all save a fortune.
Alan.ryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:48   #5

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

I order from Bay Shore Marine in Annapolis, MD. They have an online store and the parts counter staff have always been very helpful.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 08:12   #6

Boat: Hunter 30

I've had good luck with these guys. They will ship. Mattos Marine Diesel Service - Your friend in the marine business
Ft. Myers
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 08:17   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.ryall View Post
Mastry don't have an online store and are 150 miles away My local dealers aren't online either. I'm traveling on business at the moment and just need to order online - lots of OEM dealers online - all excluded from shipping to Florida.

Would prefer to use OEM parts but looks like Napa might win - thanks.
BTW ordered 4 genuine Johnson impellers online - arrived 2 days later and the cost was almost exactly half the Yanmar cost - Good old ebay! it's a johnson pump and the 'genuine' Yanmar part is stamped Johnson just the same as the 4 I bought.

If only we could work out who makes Yanmar's filters and belts we could bypass the Yanmar and Mastry markup and all save a fortune.
The Johnson impellers are fine, but the Yanmar brand impellers are threaded to take their compact impeller puller. On my engine at least there is not enough room between the starter and pump to fit a standard puller. The Yanmar puller works perfectly in this space. I have also found the impellers on line for approximately the same price as Johnson impellers. The puller was $19.95 when I bought it about 8 years ago.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 08:57   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
has anyone worked out how to buy Yankmar parts online for shipping to florida? All the online stores I found can deliver anywhere in the USA except Florida. My local dealers in SW florida are useless and I've wasted hours trying to stock up on filters before we head offshore. i thought this kind of service died out with the typewriter.
I ran into this problem once in the keys. Mastry would not sell directly to me, but I found a local dealer (Mastry gave me their name) that would take my credit card and have them drop shipped to the boatyard. I used the online sources to get the part numbers I needed then called the local dealer. They arrived the next day via UPS. It was a bit of a pain, but it worked. I found out later that although I paid for next day delivery, I didn't have to. UPS apparently has a policy of next day delivery between two addresses in the state of Florida for its standard rate.

IMO the Yanmar parts distribution system in the US absolutely sucks. It should be illegal, also IMO. I once resorted to buying some critical parts from the UK, and having them Fedexed to the states because the Yanmar distributors in my region did not have the parts and had to order them from Japan while I was sitting on the hard at $44/day. The parts from the UK were within a couple of dollars of the US price after the currency exchange. I had the parts in two days for $66 shipping.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:03   #9

Quote:

Yes, I/we feel your pain.

In most cases, however, good owners associations will have already done your homework and research for you and come up with tables of equivalent and equal parts for filters and pumps.

You might consider trying a Google search for the model of your engine and equivalents. Search also for your engine and boat and see what comes up. Often you'll be surprised at how helpful skippers can be in posting this information.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:33   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
has anyone worked out how to buy Yankmar parts online for shipping to florida?
Did you use the Yanmar on line dealer locator????

Says there are 68 Yanmar Dealers in Florida.

https://www.yanmar.com/global/dealer...aler=us/102454

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Go to Bay Shore Marine Engines and More ask for Claude. They ship anywhere. Great prices too.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:09   #12

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

i had great service from scott marine power in florida 888-584-7668. go to toad marine online and look up the part numbers--if you set up an account the site remembers you and takes you to your engine.
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:11   #13

Have you tried Florida Marine Diesel at fort pierce? Small place, I thought the owner was a pretty "regular" guy and prices weren't too bad.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:23   #14

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I've bought Yanmar filters from these guys in Largo online.

Welcome to Seafarer Marine Supply, Inc. - Welcome to our store

And Lambs in Jacksonville will happily ship to you if you call them on the phone.

Lamb's Yacht Center
Old 25-10-2015, 13:45   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yanmar has a reputation for being very, very, strict about their dealerships doing business only in their franchised locations. It could well be that the dealer "group" in Florida has made a painfully expensive point of enforcing this against enough other dealers, that the rest don't want to ship into FL at all.

Now, that sounds unreasonable, but if I were a dealer who had spent lots of money on buying an exclusive franchise zone, it might seem totally proper.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, parts, yanmar