Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 00:27   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 99
Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

One reason for starting problems is a loose Solenoid but since you have a new one it seems unlikely, but do check it. The other reason is small hole in the fuel system lets air in and disel out. Use kitchen roll on the fuel lift pump, all connections and fuel filter(s). Run the engine and check the kitchen roll.
__________________

Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:21   #47
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,041
Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would guess (yes a GUESS ) that in the case of a three wire relay the metal case acts as the neutral as it is bolted to the engine.
That would be my GUESS too yet captNordy states his Yanmar relay has three wires which are Ground, Postitive from key Switch, power to solenoid. This doesn't make sense as in his description leaves out the necessary positive from battery wire. I assume captNordy is mistaken - either there are four wires on the relay or the case is grounded and he mistaken the purpose of the wire he calls ground.

Nevertheless if he comes back with more information ( a picture of the existing relay and/or the engine model etc), I sure we can work out the facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captNordy View Post
.........How do I know which to go with for the three wires we have on the Yanmar relay (Ground, Postitive from key Switch, power to solenoid)?
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 13:21   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
That would be my GUESS too yet captNordy states his Yanmar relay has three wires which are Ground, Postitive from key Switch, power to solenoid. This doesn't make sense as in his description leaves out the necessary positive from battery wire. I assume captNordy is mistaken - either there are four wires on the relay or the case is grounded and he mistaken the purpose of the wire he calls ground.

Nevertheless if he comes back with more information ( a picture of the existing relay and/or the engine model etc), I sure we can work out the facts!
Sorry the delay, we had our mast put back on yesterday so had to pivot jobs. I spent some time inside all the wire loom going to the relay under the starter solenoid. There are three wires, I have a white wire (I believe positive from key switch) on one post and two red wires going to the other posts. One red leaves the relay and goes to battery + on large lug of Solenoid with main battery cable. Other red goes to small tab at top of solenoid by itself (I'm assuming the trigger to close the solenoid. As you can see from the pic, the white wire's connection is corroded as all get out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50581.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	216610  
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 16:23   #49
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,041
Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captNordy View Post
Sorry the delay, we had our mast put back on yesterday so had to pivot jobs. I spent some time inside all the wire loom going to the relay under the starter solenoid. There are three wires, I have a white wire (I believe positive from key switch) on one post and two red wires going to the other posts. One red leaves the relay and goes to battery + on large lug of Solenoid with main battery cable. Other red goes to small tab at top of solenoid by itself (I'm assuming the trigger to close the solenoid. As you can see from the pic, the white wire's connection is corroded as all get out.

Thanks!
OK, that makes more sense! Your existing relay uses it's case as the ground wire. And yes, you are correct, the corroded white wire will be going to the key start.

So to use the relay you pictured upthread, you will need to add a ground wire to pin 85. The ground can be some suitable bolt on the engine or you can run the wire to a negative bus.

The other pins should be connected as mentioned earlier.

Pin 86 to positive from key switch (the corroded wire wire). You may need to follow this back into the loom to find a section of wire that is not corroded or run a new wire right back to the key switch in the panel (better long term solution).
Pin 30 to battery + on large lug of solenoid with main battery cable.
pin 87 to the small tab at top of solenoid by itself.
Pin 87a unused.

Hope that helps.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:34   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

Perfect, fired up first two times with no issue, hopefully this did the trick!

Thanks all for the help on this one!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, that makes more sense! Your existing relay uses it's case as the ground wire. And yes, you are correct, the corroded white wire will be going to the key start.

So to use the relay you pictured upthread, you will need to add a ground wire to pin 85. The ground can be some suitable bolt on the engine or you can run the wire to a negative bus.

The other pins should be connected as mentioned earlier.

Pin 86 to positive from key switch (the corroded wire wire). You may need to follow this back into the loom to find a section of wire that is not corroded or run a new wire right back to the key switch in the panel (better long term solution).
Pin 30 to battery + on large lug of solenoid with main battery cable.
pin 87 to the small tab at top of solenoid by itself.
Pin 87a unused.

Hope that helps.
__________________

captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yanmar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 3gm30f - Occasionally sputters and dies on start up MondayNever Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 06-01-2016 12:43
FW pump cycles occasionally but no leaks found? SV Demeter Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 10 18-07-2013 12:30
Pss shaft seal occasionally leaking swisscraft Engines and Propulsion Systems 21 22-03-2013 18:42
Westerbeke w30 occasionally over revs mlydon Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 22-05-2012 13:52
Yanmar 2GM Won't Start After Winter Layup zippy Engines and Propulsion Systems 17 31-07-2011 20:04

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.